PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Embarrassment

Katiepea
05-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Hello everyone!

Today I inadvertently and accidentally discovered how to horrify a teenage boy - paint a picture of him!

My son wandered in from after school yesterday with a "Hi mum, how was your day? What've you been painting? Oh I like to see what you create. Let's see... MUMMMMM! I sincerely hope you won't be expecting me to hang 'me' on my bedroom wall!" (If for no other reason, his reaction made this tribulation worth it.)

For info, this is the first time I've attempted to paint a hand. Goodness it was hard! Some feedback and suggestions in particular on how to improve his eyes (I can't work out if his eye on the right is accurate), hair and hands would be greatly appreciated. I hope you understand however for his privacy I'm not comfortable with posting his reference photo. He does have super large hands for his size/height though and relatively full lips. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2017/1022692-IMG_0046.JPG

Thanks for looking and sharing my amusement!

Dingo
05-18-2017, 02:22 AM
I love the way you have used the blue (it dances) throughout the whole picture, really works for me, well done:clap:

No real suggestions just a question, is the right eye lid slightly too dark or is there too much eyebrow i.e. would a slightly lighter value separation between them de-emphasise the eye. Well there you go I suppose I did make a suggestion

Hope to see more from you

stapeliad
05-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I think it is great!
He *has* to act embarrassed but secretly he is thrilled.
He'll never tell you though. :)

Donna T
05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
You have a wonderful, energetic style of painting that suits this portrait perfectly! I like his expression!

LoreneT
05-18-2017, 04:11 PM
LOVE the style, it's a gorgeous painting! There is something about the eye on the right. I had to totally fake the eyes on my bull terrier because they were flat black in the photo. Find high res photos of other people looking the same way (you can use Google Image Search and upload your reference pic), and see what their eyes look like, mainly where to put the highlights.

Katiepea
05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2017/1022692-Lochie_4.JPG Oh wow! Thanks so much David, Stapeliad, Donna and LoreneT for your feedback - it is so greatly appreciated! It means a lot that you like my style - I must say that I adore mixing a combination of precision/realism painting (hahahaha - in my dreams!) with lots of free flowing lines and colours. My son's favourite colour is blue so I'm really thrilled that you picked up on this nod to his personality and that it actually worked!

I'm glad you agree my son's eye was a little "off". I'm still doubting myself when it comes to details such as this... I've had another attempt at "fixing" his eye. I've also had a bit of a play with creating some more movement with his hair and included the highlight on his check to make it come forward, so I've added that in too. Does this look better? (If it doesn't, that's not a problem at all - I'm finding this to be a very interesting learning experience...)

Anyway, thanks once again everyone for your super kind feedback.

[Edited to say that the image is a little brighter than this in real life, but not quite as blue as the top image. I just can't seem to get the colours to read precisely on my monitor. Grrrrrr.... It's still very "blue" in real life]

Dingo
05-18-2017, 11:48 PM
It all works for me 100% improvement with the eye, without the distraction it now it all falls together.

I am more of a lurker than a poster, let alone someone who would actually make a comment on others work, so for you and your picture to bring this out of me is possibly the best compliment I could give along with I'd be more than happy to hang this on one of my walls.

Your son is Lucky to have you as a mum and I'm sure this picture will be around for many years to come
P.S. I also like your style keep it up.

rugman
05-20-2017, 10:46 AM
I have a son the same age, with same attitude, so I relate 100%!

Great job on this, and I really enjoy your style as well!!

Check and see if his wrist is too thick, or the area where thumb joins wrist is accurate....just a nit pick......really enjoyed this painting, makes me think I need to do some paintings of my kids before they "grow up"

Moises Menendez
05-20-2017, 04:06 PM
In general your work is good. However, there is too much use of the white color.
My humble advise is: take a photo of your work and convert it into black and white and do the same thing with the reference photo. When you do that the number of VALUES will tell you what colors to use since values are more important than colors. Compare the values between your work and the reference photo. Good luck.

DAK723
05-20-2017, 06:44 PM
This is really lovely, with a wonderful sense of life and energy! I love the way you have repeated colors throughout and those small touches of pinks, reds and blues in the skin tones work very well, in my opinion, and remind me a little bit of... (don't let it go to your head)...Renoir!

Don

Donna T
05-21-2017, 07:39 AM
The changes you made work very well, Kate! Ron and Moises have some good points - just be careful not to overwork it at this point if you decide to make any more adjustments. If you're careful when adding a new stroke to check that it doesn't break up the value mass it will help prevent you from losing the 3-D form, and we especially need our darks to hold together to create that illusion. Looking at your painting from across the room or in low light conditions is helpful. Areas where the values aren't holding together usually stand out then.

Katiepea
05-22-2017, 05:15 AM
Thank you sincerely so much everyone for your wonderful and constructive feedback. I am absolutely thrilled that although still developing that the overall style resonates!

I agree completely with you Moses and Donna the tonal values and overuse of white - this is something I really need to work on. Thank you both for taking the time to evaluate my work. As a related aside, I'm really interested looking at anatomical structure of the face so that I can hopefully better place my strokes in a way that is sympathetic to the underlying structure. Hopefully over time you'll notice improvements!

Haha Rugman, glad you can relate to teenage angst! I'll revisit his wrist, yes it does look a little thick. Dingo, I'm genuinely so chuffed that you chose to comment, I can relate to lurking. Thank you so very much. And Don, I'm a constant lurker on your threads - praise from you really means a lot. I've been a fan of the impressionist movement since I was a young girl (I was a pianist in my younger years and Debussy is still my favourite composer to play now when I have a spare minute), so I giggled reading that my style hinted to that style. I guess some things with me never change, no matter what form of artistic outlet!

Onwards and upwards!