PDA

View Full Version : Need to Degrease after burnishing?

Hedgehogsweater
05-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Working with copper - I've already degreased this plate as part of standard preparation. After etching an aquatint & soft ground, I did some heavy burnishing. Is it necessary to degrease again before the next inking? I normally would clean off with California wash.

(First learned etching with a wonderful, but slightly flighty instructor, who didn't have us file, degrease or polish at all. have been tryingto fill in my gaps with a second instructor, the communal wisdom at my local workshop, and the internet) :clear:

BeLing
05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
I've never heard of "California wash."

To me, degreasing is merely plate-cleaning, which I do before I print, and afterwards as well. I use whiting mixed with a little ammonia and water.

contumacious
05-20-2017, 10:09 AM
I normally only degrease when I am going to be applying a ground of some type so that it will adhere properly. Before inking I make sure the plate is clean but I have never degreased it before inking. I suppose that I might if I was using water based inks.

I too have never heard of California Wash. A quick google seems to indicate that it is a water soluble solvent. Is that correct?

Jeffro Jones
06-14-2017, 05:26 AM
Is it necessary to degrease again before the next inking? I normally would clean off with California wash.
California Wash is pretty heavy duty!!! why not OMS or something less carcinogenic?

who didn't have us file, degrease or polish at all. interesting. I consider degreasing something that is not greasy as superfluous. My personal opinion is that shininess, not greasiness, is the culprit for strikethrough.