PDA

View Full Version : Channelling Van Gogh

Divasin
05-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Just kidding! This is a sketch (cross posted from the monthly landscape challenge) based on this photo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2017/1500147-yellow_fieldsbymadmum.jpg

As a pastellist I find yellow quite tricky to deal with so comments and suggestions welcome.
Rembrandts, Richesons and Sennelier on sandpaper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2017/1500147-Landscape_Challenge_2017-05_Leslie_Snider.jpg
Save
Save

Donna T
05-13-2017, 03:30 PM
This is really nice, Leslie! I find yellow quite challenging too, especially yellow in shade. The fields in the photo are so intensely yellow that they seem unreal. They even seem to defy the rules of atmospheric perspective in that they are just as bright in the distance! :eek: Your painting gives the impression of a variety of yellows and I think Van Gogh would like it!

DAK723
05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Lovely painting! I think you handled the yellows - along with every thing else - quite nicely!

Don

ColorEnthusiast
05-14-2017, 02:30 PM
It came out nicely with a good variety in the yellow and a beautiful sky.
The only thing I would have tried is an underpainting in purple/violet for the yellow fields, but maybe that is because since Dons challenge about complementary underpaintings I totally fell in love with them. :)
Don't know if it would improve something, but I noticed that Kate also used purple as a contrast.

Esther

Divasin
05-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Ester, I agree the complementary would be a good choice.
As this was a sketch I used black sandpaper as the ground and although the pic doesn't show it flecks of black show through as a value contrast.

stapeliad
05-15-2017, 12:03 PM
It is really lovely. You handled the yellow quite well- it is dominant without being too bright.... it is harmonious with the rest of the palette.

:thumbsup:

...and oh my gosh isn't black sandpaper WONDERFUL? :heart:

Frances Obie
05-17-2017, 09:47 AM
A canola field perhaps? I agree with the above comments. I think you handled the yellows in this composition very well. The sky is beautiful. I also might suggest some use of violet if you were to try this again, next to the yellows in the shady areas. Not necessary...just a thought.

maryinasia
05-17-2017, 10:01 AM
beautiful!

Divasin
05-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Thank you all!
I agree that I'd like to see some violet either in the shadows or as an undertone for the field..on reflection I'm finding the field in need of more texture /variation.