PDA

View Full Version : More pastels?

stillwater
05-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I cleaned up my pastels this morning and put them in a box, not perfect but loosely organized. I'm very tempted to buy more.=p What colors do you think I should get? These are mainly mount vision and I have several schminke sticks in light colors for highlight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2017/1984785-IMG_2091.JPG

water girl
05-12-2017, 10:38 PM
I really like the way you organized these. You have a nice selection. How about adding a nice red to the collection?

stillwater
05-12-2017, 11:32 PM
I really like the way you organized these. You have a nice selection. How about adding a nice red to the collection?

You are right Karen. I'm missing a red. :)

water girl
05-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Unison and Terry Ludwig have the perfect red reds, IMHO.

soap
05-16-2017, 03:10 PM
lovely range there! I suppose it depends what you are painting. More greens and greys for landscapes, more ochres and reds and pinks for portraits. Or just (that's what I do) buy what looks yummy in the shop...... ;) or splash out and buy a set of something....

Devonlass
05-17-2017, 10:25 AM
I always like a few different shades of turquoise.

LoreneT
05-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Very cool idea for organizing them! I seem to have little nubs and ends for my pastels. I do wish I'd kept them organized by brand though, because I can't tell them apart and now if I run out of one I like, I have no idea which brand it was.

stillwater
05-19-2017, 06:52 PM
I ordered a bit more from Dakota before I saw everyone's comments. New pastels are too tempting. :P
So far I've been using Mount Vision and couple sticks of Schminke, so I got the Dakota's sample set to try out different brands and see if I would like something else in the future. And I ordered some more darks and some red MV.
I do paint more landscape so I have a bit more green and blue.

stillwater
05-19-2017, 07:00 PM
This is what I have now. I had the Schminkes before but didn't post in my original post. LoreneT I haven't been painting that much pastel so my sticks are still relatively intact. I broke all my MVs in half or thirds because they are so big. Right now I don't have many brands other than MV,Schminke and the samples I got, so I can still sort of organize them by brand.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2017/1984785-IMG_2243.JPG

I feel that I will need to shop for a good box soon.:lol:

robertsloan2
06-03-2017, 08:59 PM
Well balanced collection! Reds and ochres mainly, I think. A few more neutrals. Greens. You can never have enough greens! Violets too.

Since you have such a balanced collection, you can add more sticks in the brands you have or like, or start branching into more nuanced collecting. If you want to do a lot of people, earth tones and subtle value shifts are great. Some lack of violet-cast blues, like ultramarine in different values, by the photo. Though there are some good blue cast violets in the next part of the bin. You could work with what you have.

Fill in the gaps, they're small ones. Good reds are always wonderful though, and a value range in them. Many brands have four or five values per hue and that's a direction to expand. Being able to choose values more closely will give freedom in designing paintings.