PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at a demo by Liz Heywood-Sullivan called"Fireflies"

Jay-bird77
05-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Done on a 9"x12" piece of Masonite coated with Golden's Acrylic ground for pastels. I used Richeson medium pastels and Blicks artist and Rembrandt's and Mount Vision artist pastels.
C&C welcomed​and appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2017/1190917-KIMG0008.JPG

Jay-bird77
05-06-2017, 09:12 PM
I do have a question,how would I go about making the lights less bright? To me they don't look"real"enough?
I already pressed my finger on them that usually drops the value at least a bit but it's not enough for this?!

Nick7
05-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Hi Jay, I admire your persistence you keep following demos with! I often stay at "oh, I want to try this". You are an inspiration.

I don't mind the brightness of the lights, the scene doesn't necessarily have to look "real" every time. But perhaps using a duller yellow pastel would help?

pastel65
05-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Nice job! Pam:wave:

Donna T
05-08-2017, 08:22 AM
You did a great job on this and I really like the colors in the sky. As for dimming the lights a bit, I would try using some of the same blue-violet that you used in the sky and that pushes back the receding buildings. If that color is above and behind the building it would be present in front of it too - we just don't normally notice it. I would put some blue-violet pastel of the same value as the yellow on a finger and gently press it over a window to see if you like the effect - on a scrap paper first! Hopefully that will keep the illusion of bright lights but make them a little less intense.

PeggyB
05-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Nice job. I agree with Donna. Use a little blue-violet to make the yellow less intense. The theory behind this is to use the complement of the color you want to make less intense on the top; just be certain it is the same value as the color you used. Also always, always test the result first on a scrap of paper!