PDA

View Full Version : Making Mudpies

Katiepea
05-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Hello everyone!

My latest offering has been a struggle. It's a small commission of a little girl named Maeve who (very clearly) adores getting messy with oodles of mud! I was honoured to be asked to paint Maeve by her lovely mum, but goodness I now understand that there is a whole new level of pressure into the mix with a commission...

This is literally version number five of the artwork and is the one where I *finally* feel okay with sharing the finished painting with Maeve's mum and the world. I went with (for me) a less-mixed than usual style with this portrait as I was desperately trying to capture Maeve's wonderful energy and all the mess of the mud.

It's painted on Claire-Fontaine Pastel mat using a colourful mix of Conte, Carbothello and Art Spectrum pastels.

Thanks so much for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2017/1022692-Maeve.jpeg

Moises Menendez
05-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Do you have the reference photo?

Katiepea
05-03-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry I am not able to post the ref photo due to privacy constraints (and I don't hold copyright). However I can confirm her face is that round, lips shaped that way, one eye slightly squinted etc in case that is a concern. I had my art teacher confirm my accuracy because it was such a terribly difficult reference photo to work with. She is also very recognisable as being the subject, that's been confirmed by relatives of the little girl who have seen this image and didn't know I was painting her. So I am really happy! I hope perhaps this extra info helps. ☺️

water girl
05-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Your flesh tones are wonderful, as are your strokes. Well done!

Donna T
05-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Really nicely done with a great sense of her personality!

coffee_fiend
05-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Just straight up "Wow" with that color!

pastel65
05-12-2017, 08:47 AM
It's perfect! Beautiful work. Pam:wave:

stapeliad
05-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Wonderful!!