PDA

View Full Version : Tornado pair Acrylic on canvas WIP

NeilF92
04-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Finally got back to canvas, brushes and paint after a lengthy detour into the 3D software world .
Not that happy with this one at the start but it's gradually beginning to come to life .
Long, long way to go as yet , more or less got the canvas covered and some tones and hues begun. No detail on the a/c as yet , not fully decided on the load out / pylons etc . Yet to introduce the much smaller distant member of the pair .
Setting is Glen Muik , Scottish Highlands . The cliffs reach about 1000ft from the loch side .

Trumper
04-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Lovely start,keep posting the WIP please :)

NeilF92
04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Thanks Trumper . I'll keep posting as I get through key stages .

falcon012
04-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Good start Neil. Glad to see you getting back to the oils.

NeilF92
04-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Thanks Mark - a bit like getting back in the swimming pool - not so bad once you dive in! This is one of those paintings that may or may not come out right . I have hopes though!

Gray539
04-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Good to see the brushes back in your hands, Neil. I thought the dark side had you. Good start on this one.

NeilF92
04-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks Gray - The dark side continues to amaze . Had to refer back to the model to double check on the aerial under the nose . Couldn't see it and almost made another - till I realised the object was there after all - simply matched the ref photo perfectly - spooky!

steve.sens
04-30-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm jumping into some more representational images along the subject matter of this forum. Thanks for posting a WIP, I'm looking at these as I wrap my head around some of the challenges unique to this genre and how you all resolve them.

NeilF92
04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
The challenge in this one is to place two accurate aircraft at scale height and distance against a landscape for which I have no accurate ref photo from the particular angle chosen . I have one from nearby which gives me confidence with colour , textures , general feel of the backdrop . I built a scale 3D software model of the landscape and positioned the scale 3D model Tornados against it - took a screen shot and converted that to a line drawing for canvas . The other problem is that the time of day , lighting is simply as I imagine it to be.
Could be a case of Ambition > Ability with this one - We'll see how it goes .

NeilF92
05-23-2017, 04:56 PM
After a bit of an involuntary abstinence I got back to this one in the past couple of days .
Not a great deal further on - but defining the hardware shapes more .
Every part of this is still at a very raw stage . Second Tornado yet to add and everything still to do!