PDA

View Full Version : Karen Margulis blog

Benarius
04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Here a piece from Karen Margulis blog. I used Clairefontaine Pastelmat Sienna 9.5 x 12 170 lbs, Rembrandts and Sennelier.
Enjoy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2017/1992289-KEM.jpg

water girl
04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! This is very nicely done. Karen is a well known artist and teacher. You cannot go wrong following her blog. I hope you'll continue to post here.

Benarius
04-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Thank you. And I will post more. I usually do watercolors but drifted slowly into pastels. I learned and followed lots of step by step demonstrations of Karens site. I chose this pic because it had no instructions, just to see if I can replicate with what I learned there. Her site offers so much insight.

Donna T
04-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Very nice work! I've learned a lot from Karen's blog too. I hope to see more of your work here in the future!

Divasin
04-30-2017, 09:12 AM
I can see the influence of watercolour in the gradations from very soft blending (washes) to delicate textures. I think you'll enjoy soft pastel.

Benarius
05-07-2017, 01:12 PM
I can see the influence of watercolour in the gradations from very soft blending (washes) to delicate textures. I think you'll enjoy soft pastel.

Now that you say it I can see that too. A lot of my own originals which are not as good show my initial planning in pastels as if they were watercolors. The only difference is going from dark to light and having more control than watercolors. Pastels are ever ready, don't require water and no mixing. What I like most is the possibility to scumble and adding light over dark again which is almost not possible with watercolors.

Nick7
05-07-2017, 02:49 PM
I really like how you created the depth in the woods on both sides of the painting.
Welcome to the forum! I love Karen's work myself.

janapnajo
11-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Karen Margulis is for me the greatest teacher and artist I chosen to follow.I know everyone of her picture and your study is beautiful.Congratulation!

janapnajo
11-19-2017, 06:23 AM
:wave]Karen Margulis is for me the greatest teacher and artist I chosen to follow.I know everyone of her picture and your study is beautiful.Congratulation![/QUOTE]

Charles Perera
11-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Banarius, To say it is a lovely painting is to demonstrate my lack of a suitable adjective to describe this most attractive , soothing, satisfying, loosing in reveries sort of a painting . I love those trees with green foliage on the trunks in reflected light. i kept looking at it a good number of minutes, that is why I said " lost in reveries".
Charles