PDA

View Full Version : Leopard in Graphite - WIP

CraigHusband
04-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Apologies for the essay that follows...

Well I haven't posted her for a while now, but I have still been doing battle with my work (which is how it feels a lot of the time). Though, I have still enjoyed looking at what you have all produced, which I find very inspiring, especially when I'm struggling to complete pieces. Lat year I did my first animal in coloured pencil and then moved on to an acrylic painting. The tiger I finished and framed, the acrylic leopard has been abandoned in a drawer for about 4 months now. Since abandonment I have started two successful (in my eyes) pieces, another coloured pencil tiger and the leopard below. I decided to move to this medium after success with coloured pencil late last year as I feel I'm just able to handle the details much better with a pencil rather than a brush. Between starting this and completing my tiger I have at least 4 failed pieces which are lying in a corner at home.

This is my first real attempt at a leopard in graphite. I've been working on this for over two months now and it's almost finished. It uses an indenting technique for which I use a metal embellishing tool, and has basically worked like a negative drawing as I fill in the shadows between the hairs. I've been using derwent graphite pencils from 9B to 9H, a kneaded eraser and 300gsm watercolour paper. I now realise the paper was a BAD choice as blending the background proved to be a real nightmare - I just couldn't get rid of the heavy tooth.

I would appreciate any criticism or advice as I hope to do many more of these in the future. I'm hoping to finish the tree branch and adjust the tones over the next few weeks and will post a better photograph when finished.

CraigHusband
04-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Oh and I forgot to add that its 39 x 34 cm

aRt4us
04-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Love your style canít wait to see the finish
Sketching fun
Gary

fedetony
04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Is very nice... I recommend you to post it also in the drawing and sketching forum. They can give you further advice as the techniques of the media.
Is very beautiful... Darker background would enhance the leopard....:)

KreativeK
04-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Wow, I am blown away by this leopard and all your hard work to get it done. Bravo!

Triduana
04-26-2017, 03:23 PM
It looks wonderful so far! I love the attention to detail that you've put into the fur. :)

tuscanny
04-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Great work. Thanks for sharing your wip.

skappy
04-27-2017, 02:15 AM
Very nice !

CraigHusband
04-27-2017, 03:03 AM
Thank's guys. Really appreciate the comments. I feel like I need to finish this as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend but who knows...

chammi kaiser
04-27-2017, 04:56 AM
Hats off to you for your immense patience. It really paid off. This is a beautiful graphite work and I am looking forward to the finish (even though it looks perfect already!!)

KareBear94
04-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Wow! Awesome work! Can't wait to see it completely finished, I agree with Chammi's comment that is looks perfect already :)

jonc50
05-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Excellent work!

Barbra G
05-01-2017, 01:32 AM
You have tremendous patience to use indenting technique on such a large piece - well done! Re the paper - I use 300gsm HOT PRESSED, much smoother to blend your BG. Another method of creating your hair is by using a Tombow Mono Zero eraser, and lifting colour out.

fedetony
05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
You have tremendous patience to use indenting technique on such a large piece - well done! Re the paper - I use 300gsm HOT PRESSED, much smoother to blend your BG. Another method of creating your hair is by using a Tombow Mono Zero eraser, and lifting colour out.
This is what I do too :)

Lucyloo123
05-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Beautiful

Vivien Maloney
05-01-2017, 10:26 PM
A wonderful piece, and it must be nearly finished?

CraigHusband
05-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Well I managed to get a few hours in over the weekend. I've made some adjustments to a few of the spots and worked on the eyes a little more. I also got about half of the branch finished (left hand side and parts of the bottom) which I'm pretty happy with. It seems a little off at the moment because of the huge white space which is throwing off the contrast. I'm hoping it'll be fine once filled in. The nose also looks a little better now since adjusting the left side very slightly.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated!!

Not too far to go now...

CraigHusband
05-08-2017, 08:48 AM
...and it's finally finished.

Took me a while to get there but I'm calling this one done. Probably the quickest piece I've completed, only taking 3 months :).

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and comments. They're always very much appreciated. Hope you enjoy...