PDA

View Full Version : 21 Day Challenge

JamieWG
10-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Inspired by Cathy Morgan's 28 day challenge to herself, I've decided to take on my own 21 day challenge to do artwork every day for 21 days. Hopefully through that time, I will find ways to work art into my everyday life that will enable me to continue the every day path. I'm on day 5 now, and wondering if anybody out there is interested in taking up the challenge with me. It might be helpful on those days when I need a little extra push to have others in the challenge too. Any takers?

Jamie

angela
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
I would be interested in something like this. I have been wanting so badly to do more artwork, but for some reason other stuff always gets in the way. working full time doesnt help either...but, I am up for the challenge!!! Lets do it!

coolartsybabe
11-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Sure. I'm game.

Am I to do a new piece everyday or just work on my art everyday?

JamieWG
11-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Oh, great! I have buddies! Coolartsy, my plan is just to work every day. Forcing myself to complete a piece daily would only lead me to sloppy work!

Today is day 6 for me, and it will be my toughest. I have to go to my real job until 2, then I'm having company afternoon/evening! I guess this will be the late night attempt!
Jamie

Eugene Veszely
11-02-2003, 11:39 AM
All the best for the 21 days :)...I cant even make one day !! :rolleyes:

pampe
11-02-2003, 09:22 PM
that's exactly WHY you need to join them , chamel

I'll be the mother/shoulder to cry on/coach/confessor and cheerleader because I am fortunate enough to get to work on art every day.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2003/4054-cheer.jpg

Let's go , kids

angela
11-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Ok its day 3 for me. does buying art supplies count? ;o) i work from 3 to 12, which makes it hard sometimes. i was proud of myself yesterday becasue when i got home, i couldnt go to sleep until i drew for a while!!! so i did. i plan to do the same tonight. how is everybody doing????

anasazistudios
11-06-2003, 04:32 AM
I want to do this too!

Elizabeth

JamieWG
11-06-2003, 05:51 AM
Welcome aboard, Elizabeth!

Angela, I don't think buying art supplies counts! LOL.... But the drawing certainly does.

I have to start over again. I spent all day Sunday in the emergency room with my sister, who then got admitted to the hospital. Yesterday was the first time I lifted a brush since then....So that was my Day 1!

How are the rest of you doing?

Jamie

CarlyHardy
11-06-2003, 06:19 PM
When I made my first commitment to paint (not every day), but 100 plein air paintings 2002, I don't think I was thinking clearly at the time!! Because I began May 1, that meant I had to finish them before the end of December which meant I had to paint almost every day on location!!

But once I began, I found that not painting every day was more challenging! I missed it too much and would be depressed when it rained! :) So don't be surprised if, after a week or so of sketching/painting every day, that you'll feel the same way!!

carly

p.s. I hit my goal on Dec. 15th, 2002!!

Lorijo
11-06-2003, 10:22 PM
I will join you Jamie, I did a little today, finished two little paintings, put a house in the background, shaded some trees and added some birds. Lorijo

JamieWG
11-07-2003, 07:25 AM
Carly, I remember that celebration we all had when you reached 100. I think I'm still hung over. ;)

Lorijo, thanks for joining in! So, today should be your Day 2? For me it's Day 1....again! LOL.......

Jamie

Lorijo
11-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Yup, today is day two, waiting for coffee to brew at the moment! What made you pick 21 as the amount of days? Lorijo

JamieWG
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Lorijo
Yup, today is day two, waiting for coffee to brew at the moment! What made you pick 21 as the amount of days? Lorijo

Hi Lorijo. I have heard that it takes three weeks to form a new habit. So, I figured that three weeks of every-day art would put me on the road to working it into my everyday life. But what seems to be happening is that I'm proving to myself that doing art every day may not be possible for me. I may have to settle for a five day art week, rather than a seven day one. I am going to keep trying for the 21 days because I think it will help me to figure out what I can do, and when. Weekends are really tough, but this week when my sis was in the hospital, even weekdays were tough. And yesterday....I have no excuse at all for yesterday! All I did was clean my studio, chat on WC, and take my daughter out for shopping and dinner. :evil:

Now that plein air season is about over, I already have that sinking, uninspired feeling. It is so easy to want to paint when I am outside surrounded by my subjects.

Jamie

Lorijo
11-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Is your sister better now?

I was thinking we were crazy to do this now in November with Christmas coming up and all! What the heck tho, I will give it a good try anyhow.

Plein air season is just starting here now, our weekly club has begun again and the weather is cooler. Two days of rain didn't help but today is pretty.

If you have time, take a drive past Gaylordsville on rt. 7. There is all kinds of pretty scenery to inspire you, even with just the camera. There was a pond I saw with geese and these pretty weeds with orange berries, the perfect set-up. I think berries like that usually stay even in the winter. Lorijo

pampe
11-07-2003, 01:43 PM
INTENTION is a really important part of this

I know what you mean, Jamie....I have those days where WC and other things are my "grug" and I don't do the creative things....but keep working on the INTENTION

It is true, that 21 days forms a habit

I did that 7 years ago with swimming.....

gmc
11-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Just a dumb question.

So, this challenge is doing art everyday. If, you draw, you draw. If you work in oils, you paint. If you work in pastels, you ahhhh, pastel. Or any or all of the above?
Is that correct?

Sounds interesting. That's my problem, not finding the time to do art everyday. I never put time aside for my self. I am usually on a one hour to a 2 month schedule. And believe me in that time span you lose a great deal and if you learned anything 2 months later you forgot what you learned.

Would it count if you draw one day and paint the next etc, etc,? This does sound interesting....21 days..... ummmmm.!,. Form a habit....so Pampe, did it work?

geri

JamieWG
11-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Geri, yes you can do any type of artwork or mix them up; it would even be fine to just do a short sketch on a day when you're tight for time. The idea is to do *something* every day. I hope you'll join us.

Today will be Day 2 for me. I seem to be backpedaling since the cold weather hit. 'Can't even inspire myself to lift a brush with a photo reference...I want it to be 60 degrees and sunny so I can paint plein air! Family obligations and work do make it difficult too. I'm going to keep on keeping on though....

How are the rest of you doing?

Lorijo, what day are you on? Gaylordsville is probably way below freezing right now. I think I'll have to wait till spring for that one!

There are wood ducks and hooded mergansers swimming on the brook outside my window now.....a beautiful sight and a sure sign that it's COLD out there!

Pam, thanks for being our cheerleader. :D

Elizabeth, Angela and Coolartsy....have you all gone AWOL? ;) How are you all doing?

Jamie

gmc
11-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Ok, Jamie I will accept the challenge. Then this will be day one for me. so, I look forward to having a good, positive, paint everyday habit formed in 21 days

November 9, 2003 beginning day.

geri

Lorijo
11-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi Jamie, I think I have to start over, didn't lift a brush or pencil! Unless sitting trying to sell artwork counts? We had this goofy artshow for Hospice, very badly run, about 20 people showed as "buyers" no advertising, what were they thinking?

They had this truck come in, with all these prints in fancy frames. The real artists sat in the back with their art. The people with the truck of prints has an auction and our stuff we had to just sell. A few of the prints went and somebody bought some notecards from one of the artists. She made $6. total. .60 cents to Hospice!Whoohoo!

I didn't see a single real painting sold! I did give out some business cards to people who said they would love to see more of my work. Yeah right! If they were buying, why didn't they buy then. I gave one painting to my little niece =negative $75.!

Well, we got free eats from the poor fellow running the cash bar who lost $400. for his expenses. :p Lorijo

JamieWG
11-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Lorijo, I'm sorry to hear about yesterday's disaster. I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago, when I lugged 8 paintings to a show and the only things that sold were from the folks who submitted cheap prints. :evil: I hope you have a productive Day 1!

Geri, 'glad you'll be joining us.

Jamie

pampe
11-09-2003, 01:05 PM
sorry, Lorijo

OK....kids, it's a new day

PENCILS
BRUSHES
PASTELS

ready?

Lorijo
11-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Ok here is new day one! Its a little 5 x 7 oil of Jacaranda trees. Almost all painting knife with the boat and birds with a brush. Its so much nicer to paint than sit in an art show! Lorijo:D

JamieWG
11-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Lorijo, I love the way the trees turn toward each other, and the little boat in the middle is the nicest touch!

My plan is just to do a little sketch today or touch up a painting. I went out shopping to Michael's because they had 50% off on frames! 'Got a stunning frame for an 11X14 sunset painting for $14.99. :D (Yeah, I know I framing doesn't count as doing art for the day!)

Pam, aka The Mom of this thread, ;) thanks for your Motivational Message of the Day. Heeheehee..........

Jamie

jennydb_uk
11-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I think this is a great idea, and I am going to give it a try...

How long do you have to spend to make it count? I mean - how many minutes/hours (at least/minimum) per day?

I find that sometimes I just start (maybe 5 or 10 minutes) and then I have to go do something (I have a husband and a brother to 'take care of' at home!:)). Often when I get back from whatever I just do not feel like continuing.

But this will be day 1 for me - 10 Nov '03.

:clap: Congrats to all of you who have been going a while - I know it won't be easy!!

JamieWG
11-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Jenny, congratulations on making the commitment! I think each person has to decide for themselves what will constitute an "art day". Sometimes my biggest problem is that I say to myself, "I only have a half hour, so there's no point in getting started." I know that even a half hour a day of sketching would be better than doing nothing. So for me, as long as I do something, I don't set a time limit. On some days I do 6-7 hours. If on one or two days I only do 15-30 minutes, I've decided that will be okay for me. It will teach me what I can get done in a very short period of time, as opposed to nothing at all! It's completely up to you. :)

Jamie, Day 3

Lorijo
11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Here is a link to today's painting, took about 2 hours. Lorijo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=145151&goto=newpost

newday
11-10-2003, 09:46 PM
It is 11/11/03 in Australia. Is it possible for me to participate in this 21 day challenge. As it is Rememberance day here, I would prefer to start tomorrow 12/11/03.

As today I have my final assessment for a Diploma of Art, I am itching to make a start on some serious work.

I truly like this idea. A real procrastination buster.

Lorijo
11-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Of course New Day, you may join us and welcome! Lorijo:)

pampe
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Procrastination seems to be a chronic condition of many people. Why is it so prevalent and what can be done to prevent or manage it? People who procrastinate often are accused of being lazy, but it is usually not so simple. What are some of the common causes and possible cures?

Following someone else’s goals instead of your own. – People rarely are inspired to work diligently for a cause that has little meaning for them. Examine your choices and motives, particularly if you feel that you "have to"do something.
Being overwhelmed by the size of a project. - Try to assess realistically how long it takes to complete assignments/chores. Break down large projects into smaller, more manageable sections and work on them one at a time. Post your deadlines on a calendar in a prominent location.

Poor time management. - Prioritize your work and chores so that the most important things get done first. Try to resist the temptation to distract yourself with a trivial task instead of beginning the real work. Even a modest amount of work on one of your priority items can bring a sense of accomplishment.

Lack of "down" time. - Some don’t allow themselves any legitimate relaxation time; therefore, they "steal" it from their work time. Incentive to work increases when there is the prospect of a good reward at the end. Scheduling regular breaks and recreation helps keep a busy life balanced and the mind refreshed.

Perfectionist expectations of oneself. – Don’t avoid getting started due to worry about how good your results must be. A reasonable amount of interest and effort almost always ends up in a satisfactory outcome. Taking the first active step to begin the project will increase your motivation and confidence in your ability to complete the job competently.

JamieWG
11-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by pampe

Poor time management. - Prioritize your work and chores so that the most important things get done first. Try to resist the temptation to distract yourself with a trivial task instead of beginning the real work. Even a modest amount of work on one of your priority items can bring a sense of accomplishment.

Oh boy, Pam, this one is ME!!!!

Thank you so much. :)

Newday, it's never too late.

Lorijo, I just woke up but will look at your painting soon. You have been so productive already!

Jamie, Day 4

pampe
11-11-2003, 10:43 AM
atta girl ;)

gmc
11-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Completed day 3,,,, 18 more to go.

I have been using oils, working on a painting, testing color mixes and applying them to another piece.

Great fun!!!

geri

Lorijo
11-11-2003, 12:20 PM
I went out painting with the plein air club. I got a good start, its in the same place I did last week but a different tree. Worked about 2 hours, will post it later.

I couldn't really get in the "zone" too tired I think from yesterday. Nice painting with some company anyhow. Lorijo

angela
11-11-2003, 07:52 PM
i have been working different hours, and am going to have to start over! i think i got to day 4, and then missed a couple!! DAMN the job! ;o)
will start tomorrow as day one again. sigh...

JamieWG
11-11-2003, 07:55 PM
Angela, I think I'm on Try #4, so don't feel badly about starting over! Just jump in again tonight or tomorrow. :)

Today's effort is here in Open Crit:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145386

Jamie, through Day 4's artwork :)

jennydb_uk
11-12-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by JamieWG
Sometimes my biggest problem is that I say to myself, "I only have a half hour, so there's no point in getting started." I know that even a half hour a day of sketching would be better than doing nothing.

It will teach me what I can get done in a very short period of time, as opposed to nothing at all! It's completely up to you. :)

Thanks Jamie! Yes, I think I do that too (not enough time, whats the point ...) - but I can see what you mean by what we can learn from it! I started yesterday - only sketched for about 20 - 30 minutes, but it felt good to start!

Originally posted by Pampe
Procrastination seems to be a chronic condition of many people....

Very inspiring advice Pampe, but sooo hard to follow:)!

Today = day 2 for me!

Jen

angela
11-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Last night after work, I ended up working on some freelance stuff (designing an ad, and toning some photos for a book) till midnight!!!! will start again today.
beautiful work jamie!

annasluC
11-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Is it too late to start with you?
:confused:

Lorijo
11-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi Anna, of course it isn't too late, just jump in when you like!

Today and tomorrow are my days to sit at our co-op art gallery. So I was there all day, painted a painting while there from a photo I took awhile back. Just about finished. I am not even sure what day I am on! Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-13-2003, 04:25 AM
Yesterday I only sketched for about 10 minutes :( but today (day=3) I want to do more!!!

It will have to be after work, cooking, washing etc etc.....

Not that I'm complaining.....;)

(designing an ad, and toning some photos for a book)

Angela - imo that counts since you had to be creative - it's also art. But maybe you are focussing more on other art forms?

Good luck to all!!:p

JamieWG
11-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Everybody! How are you all doing? I had to check in here to see what day I'm on. LOL. :)

Jenny, that 10 minutes is 10 minutes you might not otherwise have done, right? Keep it going.

Anna, jump on in!

Lorijo, you're going so strong. Good for you!

Angela, I definitely agree that your design work is artwork and should be counted.

Today I touched up a painting that had gotten damaged, signed a few that had been hanging around and will have to be varnished in a month or so, and framed three pieces---two for a show and one for a gallery. I'm happy. I'll probably even have time to paint or draw tonight, as I don't have to go to work and already have dinner started at 2:30 in the afternoon! Woohoo!

Jamie, Day 6

pampe
11-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Margaret Thatcher:

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

Clarissa Pinkola Estes :

If you've lost focus, just sit down and be still. Take the idea and rock it to and fro. Keep some of it and throw some away, and it will renew itself. You need do no more.

JamieWG
11-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pampe
Margaret Thatcher:

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

Clarissa Pinkola Estes :

If you've lost focus, just sit down and be still. Take the idea and rock it to and fro. Keep some of it and throw some away, and it will renew itself. You need do no more.

Love these quotes, Pam. Thanks!

Jamie

Lorijo
11-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Sat at gallery again, started a painting and scraped several times, not coming out good at all. Its a sun set scene and I haven't done any for awhile so I am rusty on it. I love the quotes too Pam! Lorijo

gmc
11-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone is keeping up.

I just did 5 days straight. I think this is a first for me. Not very successful today. But, have enough determination to keep going.

Hope everyone enjoyed their day and are looking forward to the next.

geri

Pam, I am laughing. Posted first then read your quote about having to fight the battle more than once. God, is that the truth or what?

annasluC
11-13-2003, 08:12 PM
This is fun!
I reworked a charcoal drawing lastnight and today I did a few quick paintings with the paint left over from a class I taught.

This weekend is going to be hard... I'm taking the Praxis 2 test for GA (for the third time:crying: ) I have a year to pass it or no teaching job for me next year...

Oh well, what will be will be

Anna

Lorijo
11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Whats the Praxis 2 test for GA ? Lorijo

annasluC
11-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Well, in order to get certified in Ga we have to take series of test The first set is on reading, writing, and math. The second set is on art and there are two sets. I have passed the art content which is art history, criticism, etc and the my friends and I are having problems on is Art Making. There's some simple questions on art making and then two essays (that have 5-8 questions to them) on our own work. Unfortunately there is a time limit of 1 hour. I never had test anxiety until I started trying to pass it.
The grading has changed over the last year and none of peers have passed this part either.

This will be my third attempt, but hey third times the charm right!

Happy Positive Thoughts!!:D

Anna

Lorijo
11-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Sorry about the test, I hope you do well, it sounds like a strange one. Good luck on it. It may be too late for this particular test but are you aware of all the study guides they have in the book stores on taking various tests and how to pass them? Lorijo

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 10:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2003/7448-bad_wip.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2003/7448-underbridge_park_from_photo.jpg

Here are the two from the last two days at the gallery, the bad one with the orange cloud of doom I will try to fix today. The one from tuesday is at the plein air forum. They are all oil, done with the painting knife. The palms one is 8 x 10 and the mess is 11 x 14. Lorijo

JamieWG
11-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Anna, good luck on your exams. I'll be thinking about you. Let us know how it goes.

Lorijo, lots of work from you! The orange cloud is a bit much for me, but I love the second one. :)

Jamie

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jamie! Its a bit much for me too!:D :p Maybe it was the flourescent lighting in there? Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-14-2003, 11:10 AM
Jamie - yes it is 10 minutes that I would not have used to sketch if it wasn't for this thread!

I am proud :angel: to say that I worked on a pastel drawing of autumn trees for almost 2 hours yesterday (day=3)!!

It was really worth it, and once you put your mind to it you realise more and more that you CAN find the time;) !

Today = Day 4

Just a bit of light sketching since I am going out straight after work (pub life in Brittain - lol!:p )

Take care everyone!
Jen

jennydb_uk
11-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Lorijo - that second painting is wonderful!

The orange cloud of doom (:D ) is a bit much - but we need those for practice! Your work is far more advanced than many (including mine:) )

Helen Zapata
11-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Aww... I LOVE the Orange Cloud Of Doom! :(

Helen who HAS to be different!

flax99
11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here. Mind if I join in? I've got the procrastination thing down pat. Years of practice. I need a kickstart.

Last night I got into my studio and did a quick glaze on a practice piece I'm working on. It took all of about 3 minutes, but I did something! I guess that makes yesterday Day 1 for me.

It's so much fun, why do I put it off?

flax99

JamieWG
11-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by flax99

It's so much fun, why do I put it off?

flax99

I don't know, Flax, but you're in the right place! Congratulations on your start. :)

Jamie, Day 7

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Here is today's work, a vast improvement on the orange cloud of doom!(if I do say so myself :D ) I may pick a little more at it but I am much happier about it now.

Sorry Helen, but I just couldn't stand it the way it was! :D

Welcome Flax, Keep remembering the good feeling! Almost always it is fun, and the rare times it isn't at least you are learning something! Lorijo

JamieWG
11-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Lorijo, this is sooooo much better!

Jamie

Helen Zapata
11-14-2003, 02:55 PM
You're right, you're right, Lori. It's really looks super now! Still Orange (yay) but soooo purty! I'm sitting here smiling at my screen. (good thing I'm alone)

Helen

JamieWG
11-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Today's work: three touch-ups.... but now it's three finished paintings, signed and ready to pop into frames while awaiting their dry time for varnishing. These are the kinds of things that tend to hang around my studio almost forever before they get taken care of, so I'm very happy to have finished them up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146169

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1744906#post1744906

Jamie

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much Jamie and Helen! Lorijo

Dreams-of-Flight
11-14-2003, 03:49 PM
It has been SUCH a long time since I last posted here! Major creative block after splitting with boyfriend a few months ago, but reading this tonight armed with a bottle of wine the time seems right to start again. I'm annoyed really, I had been doing so well, painting most days, selling on ebay etc, sigh, guess I've got some ground to make up again. Not gonna let the procrastination get me!

KPowe
11-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Here is today's work, a vast improvement on the orange cloud of doom!(if I do say so myself :D ) I may pick a little more at it but I am much happier about it now.

Lori, ya know what's missing? RED! :D LOL Actually, this painting is excellent without it. Ya done good.

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks Kathy, thats what somebody at the plein air club said about my oak tree in plein air! Needs red! This had some red on it on one of the scrapings! Might have a tiny spot or two left.:) Lorijo

Lorijo
11-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Of course you may join us Dreams of Flight! My sympathies over the breakup, a loss always does a number on my creativity too. Lorijo

flax99
11-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Welcome Flax, Keep remembering the good feeling! Almost always it is fun, and the rare times it isn't at least you are learning something! Lorijo

(sure hope the quote thingie works...)

Thanks Lorijo, I'm definitely learning something. Today I put in a solid frenzied 30 minutes on a little series of 3 tiny (5x7) abstract studies, and learned that different manufacturer's versions of the same color are quite different! How cool, I get a subtle shifting of colors on my palette without having to actually mix anything. I'm having such a blast!

Today was Day 2 for me. Can you tell I'm on a high? (Maybe it's just the acrylic fumes.) :D

flax99

pampe
11-15-2003, 03:11 PM
*liking the fact that this group is forming slowly and solidly*

Lorijo
11-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Went out kayaking on the Savannahs to get some photos to show a client for a painting. It was so beautiful out there! The camera is acting up, I think I may have accidently changed a setting and my forgrounds are too dark and the skies too light.:mad: Studying camera manual!

Picked at my oak tree painting in plein air, added some warm colors to it, I still want to add more to it.

Also re-adjusted photos in the computer, some were fine?! Lorijo

angela
11-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Hi everybody! Ok, this is day 4! i decided you guys were right, and the desinging the ad does count. i was just really frustrated with it, and it didnt seem like art at the time, if that makes any sense, i have no idea...anyway, i have been doing some sketching out ideas for a painting, and playing with some watercolors..i think tonight i will start the new painting. will post it when its done. you guys are all doing really good!!!! this is a great support group. thanks! i do feel like something is missing in my day, if i dont do anything creative, even if its just quick sketches for 15 minutes. there's a real sense of fulfillment knowing that everyday, i am doing something artistic. i am sure you all know what i mean!
anyway, will be back tomorrow! have a great evening!
angela:D

JamieWG
11-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Angela, congratulations on your day 4! I'm glad you decided to count the ad design. Heck, designing is definitely art as I see it. You're doing great! I too find the sketching helpful when I'm short on time.

Lorijo, have you posted the changes in your oak painting? I'll go look in the Plein Air forum. Glad you survived the kayaking expedition! :) Looking forward to that huge painting.

Flax, I would love to see your little abstracts! Can you post them for us? I'm hoping to do some more acrylic work in the near future too. I was going to get some water soluble oils to paint upstairs at night, when I don't always want to venture down to my studio to use regular oils. But I decided that since I already have the acrylics, I should use those for now instead. I'll need help!

Dreams of Flight, how are you doing? Did you start the 21 days after the wine? :)

Well, I had a major thing happen yesterday. My Charles Sovek book arrived...Oil Painting; Develop Your Natural Ability. I'm hooked. I decided to do his program. It is 36 exercises. He suggests making a time committment to finish the program in X amount of weeks/hours and gives some schedules. I picked 10 weeks at 6 hours a week. That gets you through the first 30 exercises. Then you do the remaining six on your own time frame. I cut 20 canvases last night to do the first 20 exercises, and did the first one in acrylic. I figure that six hours a week I can do in two, three hour sessions and still have time for my commissions, open studio, paintings for shows, etc. I'm psyched! I'd really like to be able to find a group of artists to do this program with me. It can be done in any opague medium----pastels, acrylics, oils....perfect for me. I plan to do it mostly in oils, but it's nice to have those other options. The book is out of print, but I highly recommend it! I'm going to poke around and try to find some others here on WC who have it and want to go through it here in the Creativity Forum.

Jamie, Day 9 I think!

Lorijo
11-16-2003, 08:56 AM
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL

Hi Everyone! In case anyone wants to buy that book, its a bit pricey here but there are 15 of them. Hubby and I were out of control last nite ordering from these people, got a bunch of old favorite books from our childhood that had disapeared, moves, lend-outs. I got a Richard Halliburton book, "Royal Road to Romance" and then saw there were some more by him that I haven't read so ordered them too. We are getting 8 books for $56. The dadgum shipping is worse than the price of the books!

Hubby piped up with, "you charge more than that for YOUR shipping on Ebay!"

I don't dare buy any more books for awhile! I should start selling mine!

Been messing with the camera, Jamie I haven't posted the changes yet. Lorijo

Helen Zapata
11-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi guys!

I replied in here before when I was looking at Lorijo's purty painting.. but then realised what the thread was and went back to read the beginning. What a great Challenge! Good job, Jamie!

In a way, I've been doing this too. About 2 weeks ago I made the decision to paint every single day (except it appears that Sundays will lose out.. too much family responsibility). So mine is more of a "Paint 6 Days A Week" challenge.

This has been fantastic for me! My usual pattern has been to lose about 3-4 days a week because I keep allowing other things to come first. And then when I finally get back to it, it takes a full day of painting to even BEGIN to get my rhythm back!

Now I plan my day.. and it's all based AROUND my painting time, instead of the other way around. The painting comes first. And I'm learning to tell my family, "No, I'm painting now". There were some raised eyebrows at first, but they're getting used to it.

I'm totally excited about this. Already seeing my work growing more rapidly. I feel like I did when I was a teenager and spent hours every day immersed in my painting.

So, I just wanted to pop back in and say hi. I'm enjoying watching everyone having fun with this.

Helen

JamieWG
11-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Helen, good for you for sticking to your six day plan! Feel free to post about it here...the fact that you're doing six days doesn't make it so different from what we're trying to do. I think the main goal is exactly what you are describing. There are always one or two days when I just sketch for awhile and call that a day because I don't have time to paint, but I think taking a day off can be a good thing. :)

One of the problems I've run into is that I haven't been planning my days well enough in advance. So, I go down to my studio and waste time trying to decide which painting I'll work on or what I'll start. From now on, I am going to decide that at night, as part of my art goal. Doing that Sovek book will help a lot in that regard. I'm so out of the loop with having to think about that. In plein air season, all I need to decide is where I will go, and then I have no trouble finding something to paint! I forgot that in the colder months, when I'm in my studio, that's a big part of the challenge.

Jamie

spaciouslands
11-16-2003, 09:34 AM
This seems just like what I need. Am I too late to start? I've been in an artistic funk for so long now I've forgotten how long it's been. Whatever I touch just sits there. I was even motivated to build a sculpture stand that now has 2 unfinished sculptures (small) sitting on it. I need to get beyond whatever is blocking me and maybe the 21 challenge is what I need?

JamieWG
11-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by spaciouslands
This seems just like what I need. Am I too late to start? I've been in an artistic funk for so long now I've forgotten how long it's been. Whatever I touch just sits there. I was even motivated to build a sculpture stand that now has 2 unfinished sculptures (small) sitting on it. I need to get beyond whatever is blocking me and maybe the 21 challenge is what I need?

The 21 day challenge sounds ideal for you! Jump on in....Only good can come of it, right? Welcome aboard. :) Even 20 minutes of progress on a given day is better than none.

Jamie

pampe
11-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by zapata
Hi guys!

I replied in here before when I was looking at Lorijo's purty painting.. but then realised what the thread was and went back to read the beginning. What a great Challenge! Good job, Jamie!

In a way, I've been doing this too. About 2 weeks ago I made the decision to paint every single day (except it appears that Sundays will lose out.. too much family responsibility). So mine is more of a "Paint 6 Days A Week" challenge.

This has been fantastic for me! My usual pattern has been to lose about 3-4 days a week because I keep allowing other things to come first. And then when I finally get back to it, it takes a full day of painting to even BEGIN to get my rhythm back!

Now I plan my day.. and it's all based AROUND my painting time, instead of the other way around. The painting comes first. And I'm learning to tell my family, "No, I'm painting now". There were some raised eyebrows at first, but they're getting used to it.

I'm totally excited about this. Already seeing my work growing more rapidly. I feel like I did when I was a teenager and spent hours every day immersed in my painting.

So, I just wanted to pop back in and say hi. I'm enjoying watching everyone having fun with this.

Helen

:clap: :clap: GOOD FOR YOU!!!

gmc
11-16-2003, 02:48 PM
8 days, yes I made 8 days straight.......

here's what took me 8 days to do. it's small like 9x10 or something, worked on colors and just getting paint on a canvas with the right amount of stand oil. I got it that it felt like painting with whipped cream. I am pleased that I was able to losen up. I haven't touched my oils in about, well a long time. I wanted to get colors that don't look muddy/dirty. Did I suceed?

geri

JamieWG
11-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Geri, this is gorgeous! Beautifully loose, lovely flesh tones. Wow. What else can I say. Do more! :)

Jamie

Lorijo
11-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Geri, its beautiful, superb! You accomplished what you set out to do. Lorijo

flax99
11-16-2003, 04:28 PM
... Flax, I would love to see your little abstracts! Can you post them for us? ...

Hi Jamie, how sweet of you to ask! They're just practice pieces, but I had soooo much fun doing them that I still get a kick looking at 'em. I gotta do some more, try stuff out, see what works and what doesn't. I'm debating whether to add something else to these to make them more interesting, but they *were* just for practice so I should probably just move on and do some new ones!

Here are the little dickens (3 panels at 5x7" each, acrylic on canvas board). Apologies for the slight glare, I don't have a good lighting setup yet.

flax99

flax99
11-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Geri, that's amazing. The colors are fantastic, and I love the intimate feeling you create by making the hand of the artist so apparent in your brushwork. It's like you've caressed the girl's face with your brush. Absolutely lovely.

flax99

JamieWG
11-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Flax, how cool! It's a triptych! Great movement. I like how they flow from one to the next.

Renee is doing the Sovek book exercises with me. Everybody else is welcome to join in! Any opague medium works. I did my first two yesterday and today in acrylic, though I'll probably be doing most of them in oils. The thread for them is here in the Creativity Forum. Here's a link. This program of exercises is a great complement to the 21 day challenge!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146668
Jamie

annasluC
11-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, I don't want to jinx myself...:D

I just finished making a necklace, but that puts me back to day 1. After the test I spent some quality time with my friends, pets and a LOT of time with my boyfriend.

It'll be severally weeks before I know how I did, I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Anna

OdinArtwerks
11-17-2003, 03:37 AM
I'd like in on this 21 day challenge as well. 4 of 7 days i'm fairly required to anyways as i'm a student, it's the in between time and other days that i feel like I don't get anything else creative accomplished. So this sounds like a great plan for me! :):clap:

jennydb_uk
11-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Lorijo - the orange cloud is AMAZING now!
Wow!:)

I had a busy weekend but managed to squeeze in at least a bit of coloured pencil and sketching. Saterday was really difficult - nothing seemed to want to work.

Well, it's Day 7 for me today, and I am joining the Sovek Exercise! My copy has been ordered - now that I have spent money to buy the book and promised to join in I think I will be more committed.

BTW all the work posted here is truly wonderful - you guys are all very accomplished. I have far to go yet, but you are an inspiration.:clap:

Thanks!
Jen

Lorijo
11-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Welcome Travis! Thanks Jen! Love the values in your painting Flax. Nice sense of movement like Jamie says.

So far today have made two sketches, trying to fix up old painting that didn't sell on ebay last week. Its posted over in composition. Lorijo

JamieWG
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Spaciouslands, how are you doing with the challenge?

Anna, can we see your necklace?

Jenny, so glad you'll join us on the Sovek exercises! I don't like working monotone, so I'm *really* looking forward to getting to the color ones. I might put in extra hours on the plan this week and do additional exercises to move ahead to color sooner. I scanned through the next several exercises in the book and as soon as he starts color, he deals with value of colors. This is an area I know I need the work in, so I'm looking forward to that and dreading it at the same time! LOL

Odin, so what day are you on now? Did you do artwork yesterday?

Jamie, Day 10

flax99
11-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Day 5 for me! It's already starting to feel like an ingrained habit.

Wow, a good habit. That's a change!

flax99

spaciouslands
11-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Jamie-
I've started with some gesture drawings, nothing close to a finished work but at least I've started something.
-Rick

jennydb_uk
11-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Your welcome Lorijo!

Thanks Jamie! It's great if you guys work ahead - then I can see how you approach the tasks. Seeing your finished exercises will guide me as to how I am doing and give me inspiration!

Day 8 today for me.

Sketched 2 hours yesterday! Went much better than Saturday....
No painting yet - I'm saving that for the Sovek Challenge!
:D :p

Jen

Lorijo
11-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Flax, I like your last painting, looks very calligraphic. (is that a word?:D ) Interesting design anyhow.

Today painted with plein air club, its over here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147245

I also met a nice lady who I can paint with, so I have a painting buddy! Lorijo

angela
11-18-2003, 06:53 PM
woo hoo! Day 6! I still havent finished anything, but at least I am getting in the habit of doing art every day. I started a snowy desert landscape painting for my motherinlaw...got it sketched out and all. I am not really into doing landscapes, so this will be challenging. I have done them in the past, but its been a while. Wish me luck!!
angela

flax99
11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Flax, I like your last painting, looks very calligraphic. (is that a word?:D ) Interesting design anyhow. ...

Lorijo

Thanks Lorijo, it was such a fast little thing (5x7", 5 minutes tops) it seemed like a total cheat, but I really liked it so I kept it as is. Yeah, it reminded me of calligraphy too.

Good luck with the plein air work, that looks really challenging (but fun, and fast! I like fast!). I do calligraphy and some pen-and-ink work, which is slow and methodical, so I'm really interested in learning to paint fast and loose, and if it's from life so much the better! I'd really like to try my hand someday, but it's getting cold outside this time of year, so maybe not just yet! Do you recommend taking a class, or is there a good book to study, or should one just go outside and give it a try?

flax99, Day 7

Lorijo
11-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Good luck Angela! You are the opposite of me, I like landscapes the best!

Flax, start out reading the plein air forum here on Wet Canvas. That will keep you busy for awhile! Thats what got me going on it. I started out in my yard, I was afraid of making an idiot out of myself in public. If I was up north, I would probably paint from in the car, cover the seat and floor with an old blanket.

Today I did 4 little 5 x 7's, they ARE quick! Two hours on all of them. Mainly sky studies, I am trying to warm up my work a little, use less cool colors. Will post later. Lorijo

JamieWG
11-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi everybody. Hey, this is working out great. You're all doing so well on the challenge. Congratulations!

For those who post work to this thread, it would be a big help if you'd use the uploader button above, instead of the attach file below, to post your artwork; that way the work appears below the reply screen so we can see it while we write about it.

I'm keeping up too. Working through the Sovek exercises. I did ex. 7 this morning. I'm looking foward to getting back to my other artwork too, but for now I seem to be appreciating the structure of letting the book tell me what to do every day. I realized that I should lay out that detailed a plan for myself too. I seem to be able to get to work much faster, and in a better frame of mind, than if I wander down to my studio undecided about what I'll work on that day.

My hubbie fixed the CD player in my studio over the weekend. Yipeee!

Jamie, Day 12

spaciouslands
11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
This is my third day and they all are about the hardest I've been through when it comes to doing art. Today I decided to try a new approach- I took a sketch book to work and spent lunch drawing, well after eating my PB&J anyhow. It worked out pretty well and doing it this way I'll get some work in each day, anything that I do after work in the evenings is a gift!

annasluC
11-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Well, The best and worst thing of teaching is the students share everything!!!!
They bring me drawing, sculptures and jewelry they made which is WONDERFUL!!!! However, first year teaching... I've caught yet another virus, cold, flu...Uckky thing.... SO I'm back to day one.

I LOVE the energy in the strokes you used in your paintings Lorijo!!!!

I got some advise on how to rework my necklace and I've also done some work on some digital photos.
ANna

annasluC
11-19-2003, 11:27 PM
OOPS!
I forgot to tell you that It'll be four weeks till I know about my test, but LOL it was the same as the first one I took!

:clap:

And I wanted to let you see the necklace and one of my kittie photo's.

Enjoy!
Anna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2003/15739-jewlery1sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2003/15739-precious_10sm.jpg

Lorijo
11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I love the Kitty Anna! He is beautiful! Your jewelry is nice too. And thanks, I am glad you like my paintings.

Rick, good that you have gotten started, just don't get peanut butter or jelly in your sketchbook!;) Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-20-2003, 04:05 AM
Hi all - missed out on posting yesterday, but still going!

Day 8 was great - painted for about 2-3 hours, finally something that is (imo) "worthy" of posting! (See below)

Day 9 - we had friends over for dinner but I managed to sketch for about 15 minutes. I found that even though it's just a few minutes it definitely helps to keep you going! I hope I will follow this through for many years to come after the initial 21 days.

Day 10 today (more visitors tonight...)

Anna - I looove cats - he is beautiful, and that necklace is gorgeous!

Rick/spaciouslands - that is a brilliant idea (sketching in lunch hour) - think I will also try that....

Angela - yes, good luck! It would be nice if you posted it once you are done - would love to see your work!

Here's my little 8x10 acrylic painting on w/c paper of two mules of some kind, done from a photograph I took this summer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2003/21724-paint1

Sorry about the bad quality - it's difficult to take good digital pics with poor lighting at night! The white shows up VERY white in the pic but it is not so prominent in reality.

OdinArtwerks
11-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Hadn't posted since accepting the challenge, since i've had to do art the last three days just for class things. So that's day 4 for me. 2 days of painting, and 2 days of doing a few hours of weaving on a 4 harness loom. Doing well so far, just hoping that I keep up doing something once the weekend gets here. :)

angela
11-20-2003, 09:48 PM
sketching on lunchbreak helps a lot! i do that too, when i dont think i'll get time at home. its day 8 for me. i have to start over on the landscape painting. but, ill get it. i have a watercolor ready to start too. its going to be real hard to do any drawing tonight, as i am soooo tired!!!! will probably get some sketching in while i am still at work after everybody leaves.
everybody is doing great! i am really liking this challenge!

MicheleO
11-21-2003, 08:52 AM
I just joined WC yesterday and found what I have been looking for for years. Then I found this thread and really know I found what I have NEEDED for years.I would love to jump into this challenge too. I am now on Day 2! [SIZE=1]:clap::clap:

JamieWG
11-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Hi everybody!

Wow, you're all doing good work!

Anna, your jewelry is lovely. What a sweet, soft-looking kitty! Is he/she friendly? I wish my husband would let me have a cat. My daughter and I love cats.

Jenny, good job on the colors in the coats of the mules.

Lorijo, you are still going really strong. I think you might get the prize of the group for all those little sketches you did the other day and your ambitious new, big painting!

Spaciouslands, 'would love to see some of your sketches if you'd be willing to share. :) Making good use of those spare moments in the work day is a great idea.

Odin, today is Friday....weekend is here....We expect to see something from the weekend from you....or at least hear about it! :evil: LOL........

Angela, what happened to the landscape painting? Is that in watercolor also?

I did two quick color sketches in bed last night while hubby was watching the news. Both are from photos I'd taken while out painting plein air, and chasing sunsets around the lake with my husband.

First one, 5X7 Caran d'Ache oil pastels on Arches hot press, blended with color shapers and a little turp/Q-tips....Children climbing the hill at Muscoot Farm:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/13766-Climbing_Hill_Muscoot_OP_400.jpg
And the sunset on Peach Lake, also 5X7, Neocolor II on cheap Strathmore 400 bristol board, blended with turp/Q-tip because I didn't want to dip into my water glass on the night table!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2003/13766-Peach_Lake_Sunset_Vails_Neocolor_II_400.jpg

Have a great day, everybody!
Jamie, Day 14

jennydb_uk
11-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by MicheleO
I just joined WC yesterday and found what I have been looking for for years. Then I found this thread and really know I found what I have NEEDED for years.I would love to jump into this challenge too. I am now on Day 2!:clap::clap:

Welcome MicheleO :)

I know what you are feeling! I think we all go through that "Wow this is sooo great!" when we first join, and the really amazing thing is - that feeling never really goes away!

There's just so much good stuff on this site, and so much support from everyone. :clap:

Day = 11 (Yeah!)

Just a little bit of sketching yesterday but looking forward to an empty house tonight so hopefully much more then.

Would love to see more from all who will share their work.
I will also try to post more....

Thought I would add that although I only registered in April 2003, I have been browsing the site since 2000, and actually posted a portrait (oil) for critique! I then got caught up in other things. I am much more committed now and I really want to develop my abilities and do something worthwile with it! You know - the ultimate "artist's dream...":cat:[I]

Lorijo
11-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Jamie, I love the children climbing the hill! I like the sunset one too. We were out yesterday chasing the sunset! Just with the camera.

Today hopefully going out with new painting buddy, she is a bit late, hope she isn't lost!

Whats the prize?!:evil: Lorijo

JamieWG
11-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Jamie, I love the children climbing the hill! I like the sunset one too. We were out yesterday chasing the sunset! Just with the camera.

Today hopefully going out with new painting buddy, she is a bit late, hope she isn't lost!

Whats the prize?!:evil: Lorijo

Oh, you had to ask!!! :evil: LOL....

Lorijo, my painting buddy and I get lost/stuck in traffic all the time. One of the first things we did was to exchange cellphone numbers! I'm so happy for you to have found a painting buddy. Sue and I started painting together last April and it totally changed both our lives. We have a big group that we paint with, but she and I are the only ones who are *always* there. It's wonderful to have someone to share that with.

Thank you for your comments on the little sketches. They were fun!

Jamie

jennydb_uk
11-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Lorijo and Jamie - you are priviliged to have painting buddies! Ask me (who does not have one:crying: ).

<------ [sticks out lower lip and sulks:D )

Your oil pastel work is lovely Jamie - I have a few pastels, but have never really tried them. I should maybe experiment a bit this weekend.

Thanks for your comments on my "mules" too!

angela
11-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi everybody!
Jamie, I love your work! I especially like the one with the children in it. The landscape painting...well, I just didnt like what I started. Its an oil painting. Pretty large too, and its a gift for my mother in law, so I really want it to come out just right. I will paint over it..I hadnt done too much on it, so its not too much of a big deal! I am hoping to spend some time on it this weekend. Today,is day 9, and I worked on my watercolor. I should be done with that by tomorrow or the next day and I will post it.
Talk to all of you tomorrow!
Angela

Lorijo
11-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Jenny, sorry you don't have a painting buddy, join a painting club and you should be able to find someone. I like your mules too, I especially like the one resting his head on the other. My painting today is over here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1769073#post1769073post1769073

Lorijo

annasluC
11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Last night I wrote some in a journal and tried to work in pastels. I'm working on re-stringing my necklace this weekend and I may get some more photo's of kitties.

Jaime the kittie's name is Precious. She is something else! She will start purring if you just look at her. I love the colors in your sunset!!!!

Jenny the mules evoke such a warm and caring feeling. Their wonderful!!!

Anna
day 3

MicheleO
11-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Jamie,
I love your piece with the children. I am so inspired. I am only on day two, but I have been so productive. I can't wait to get a camera, so I can show everyone!

JamieWG
11-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi everybody! Just want to let you all know...There's a WC drawing/painting event going on right now and through the rest of the weekend! It's a great opportunity for the 21-day challengers. If you're interested, here's the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148179

Jamie, Day 15

Lorijo
11-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Those are cool photos Jamie, maybe tomorrow, I am pooped tonight. I did a drawing on a panel to paint was all the actual art I did today. I printed some photos that I had altered somewhat and painted some frames.

I had to go to a meeting at the artists co-op, I went ahead and became a full-time member instead of an associate. $100. instead of $50. a month and I get twice as much wall space!:D Big grand opening planned for after Thanksgiving.

Went to one of the parks in town, it has these fishing docks into the river and took more sunset photos. Might have a painting idea of cast net fishermen with a big white egret begging them for fish. I haven't even downloaded the pictures yet!
Lorijo

spaciouslands
11-23-2003, 08:41 AM
After a week of black and white sketches and PB&J sandwiches on the job, Saturday was a break! I decided to drag out my colored pencils and pursue some color. The result is attached!

MicheleO
11-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Every one is doing well in this challenge and it is so nice to see the works being produced. I am on day 4 myself and actually picked up my charcoals which I hadn't touched in 5 years. And I dared to start a self portrait..
It is certainly apparent to me that I am out of practice, but I will keep trying because you all have inspired me..

JamieWG
11-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Lorijo, the plan for your painting sounds great! Looking forward to seeing that. Congrats on the new coop arrangement.

SpaciousLands, what a cutie pie! I love your birdie! I did the weekend drawing event last night in bed with Prismacolors....but I'm not happy with the result. I did it on mid-grey toned paper. Now I remember why CP is best on light/white paper. ;) The result is not high chroma enough for me and the piece looks weak. Congratulations on your wonderful result. Frame it! :)

Michele, a self-P! OMG, you are so brave. That's something I have yet to attempt. Keep me posted on how that goes, okay? I hope you can beg/borrow a camera to show us what you've been up to.

Anna, I would love to see some of your pastel work.

Angela, how are the watercolor and landscape coming along?

Jamie, Day 16

Lorijo
11-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Rick, he is adorable! Super good! Frame him for sure. I got to go out and get some PB & J if that is the result!

I am making so much mud today, its awful. I have been making starts and scraping off, its not working at all. Jamie, guess what, its on grey-toned gesso!

Michelle, a self portrait sounds cool! I am about due to do another, I have done 2 of me over the years. Jamie you got to make one!
Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Wow - am I really on Day 14??!?

Truly amazing that time has gone so quick and I have stuck to this commitment so long, this challenge is such a pleasure and it works so well. If I had decided to do this on my own I probably would have skipped a few days in between and that would have been no good.

Rick - your birdie is beautiful :)

Lorijo - sounds like a great project (nets, birds, sunset...)

MichellO - you will be amazed at how quick you get back into it!;)

And - I love to view everyone's work - not only does it inspire, but I learn a lot from it as well! I just want to thank all of you for posting your work.

Sketched a bit on Day 11, and started a bigger watercolour on Day12, worked on it Day13 and also sketched out a new project for oil pastels!

I will post when I finish them.

Day 14 - what will I do today?:cool:

JamieWG
11-24-2003, 10:15 AM
I can't believe I've made it to Day 17. I was just thinking that it will be nice when I've reached 21 days and I can take a day off. LOL....That kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :evil:

Jenny, I'm looking forward to seeing your "finishes", especially the oil pastel!

Lorijo, is that painting on the mend? How's it going?

Jamie, Day 17

flax99
11-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jennydb_uk
...this challenge is such a pleasure and it works so well. If I had decided to do this on my own I probably would have skipped a few days in between and that would have been no good.

Exactly! I'm on day 12 now, and I know I wouldn't have done it without some kind of external pressure. Not every day has been equally productive, but the point is making it a habit to go in the studio and do something every day.

It's working! Keep going everyone!

flax99

E-J
11-24-2003, 12:04 PM
If I jump in now, will everyone have finished by the time I get to day four, leaving me all on my own looking like a complete lemon? :) Or is this a rolling project?

I've felt an attack of the blahs creeping up on me these past couple of weeks and I'm trying to defeat it. Some days I know I could easily fit in a half-hour pastel sketch or do an underdrawing ready for my next painting session, but instead I spend my pre-work part of the morning surfing WetCanvas!! I could spend that time sketching ... or bring my working day forward an hour to give myself 60 mins to play with when I come home at night. But I never do. I've started procrastinating at weekends, too, when I have so much lovely time available. Unforgivable! So ...

Day 1, 22 Nov: Inspired by an article in the Pastels channel, I spent an hour playing with egg tempera using pastel dust. Painted these poinsettias on a watercolour postcard (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2003/13865-poinsettia.jpg) and am thinking I might make some more to give to friends this Christmas!

Day 2, 23 Nov: spent an hour and a half finishing a pastel painting of lilies (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2003/13865-lilies.jpg) from earlier in the week. I'm not entirely happy with it - but there are things I like about it, and it always feels tons better to complete something than to leave it sitting around.

Day 3, 24 Nov: some kind of allergic reaction or food poisoning hit me during the night, so I'm at home today, tired and fed up but with time on my hands. I've done about two and a half hours on this oil pastel - still a WIP (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/578/progress/13865/sargent_wip4.jpg) for a project in which we're making copies of Sargent.

I would LOVE to be able to say I'd done some art every single day for 21 days! Let's see if I can do this ...

JamieWG
11-24-2003, 01:31 PM
(((EJ))), so glad you'll be joining us! Can you tell me how you created that link that goes right to your beautiful drawings, even though they're not on a thread? Where *are* those drawings of yours that you linked to?

Flax, hey, Day 12! You're doing great!

For anybody who's looking for something to paint/draw during their 21 days, please check out my new project, Painting White in Living Color. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=588

I did the 9th Sovek exercise this morning. T'was great fun!

Jamie

Lorijo
11-24-2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2003/7448-sunset.jpg

Here is the little 5 x 7 sunset, oil, knife from yesterday. All I did today so far was add some paint to an un-finished little painting, put a painting on ebay, play with some medium. I had some gold paint and mixed it with some wax medium to see what happened. Put it on an old, ugly frame. Doesn't look like it was a sucess!

EJ, welcome and I love your paintings! Very beautiful and interesting view points, I like how you are looking down on things.

Jamie that dog photo is adorable on the white project! Lorijo

E-J
11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
(((EJ))), so glad you'll be joining us! Can you tell me how you created that link that goes right to your beautiful drawings, even though they're not on a thread? Where *are* those drawings of yours that you linked to?

((((Jamie)))) :) The images I linked to have already been posted to those other threads, using the Uploader. If you right-click on any picture you've uploaded and select 'Properties', you can copy the URL and paste it into another post using the IMG button (which will make it appear as an image) or the http :// button (which will post it as a link). Useful if you want to give others the option of checking out your picture rather than filling up the thread with images.

EJ, welcome and I love your paintings! Very beautiful and interesting view points, I like how you are looking down on things.

Lorijo, thank you :) I've been admiring your plein airs for some time! What a fantastic little sunset painting.

Going to check out this white project ...

MicheleO
11-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Jamie.. Congrats on day 17..Flax congrats on day 12.. EJ, we'll keep you motivated!
Day 5 for me .. woohoo!
I did put the self portrait down for a few days..and went back to my safer, less scary oils for a bit..
I am working on begging for a camera as we speak to share..
Everyone keep up the great work, and keep sharing..

angela
11-25-2003, 12:43 AM
Hello everybody!
Well its day 12 for me. I finished my little watercolor. I will post it tomorrow when I have access to a scanner. I had put the landscape aside for a little bit and have just been working on sketching out ideas, and finishing the watercolor. I was frustrated with the landscape and didnt want to let that get in my way of my committment to myself to do art every day.
EJ you can do it!!!! Even if you have to start over...I think most of us had to start over at least once! ;o)
LOrijo, I love the colors in that sunset painting. ITs very vibrant!!!
I need to play with my knives more. I did one and posted it a while back in the open critique forumn. It was a lot of fun.
Angela, day 12! :clap:

Lorijo
11-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone, I am glad you like the little sunset! I am not sure about what to do today, probably sketching, my son is coming home from college and I still have house work to do! I am around day 16. Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Thank you all for your nice comments!

Day 15!!!

Yesterday I added oil pastel to my sketch.

I will work on my oil pastel tonight (used one of the ref photo's for the other exercise), not too good - I have not had much experience with oil pastel... But I'll share when it looks a bit better! Maybe I can work a bit on the watercolour as well.

EJ, Jamie, Rick & Lorijo - thanks for sharing! Great work you guys. Make me realise how much I still have to learn. Waiting in anticipation for everyone else.

Looked at a few night/saturday classes at UCL online - might just sign up for one of those....

E-J
11-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Yesterday I added oil pastel to my sketch. I will work on my oil pastel tonight (used one of the ref photo's for the other exercise), not too good - I have not had much experience with oil pastel... But I'll share when it looks a bit better!

Michele, Angela and Jenny - thanks for your welcome. This is a nice group!

Jenny, have you joined us in the Pastels forum yet? In the Pastel Library Q&A you'll find plenty of threads with information about oil pastels ... and if you have a specific question, I'm sure one of our resident oilies (Mo, Dyin, Sundiver) will be only too happy to help! Please don't be shy - it's an outrageously friendly forum :)

This evening I was persuaded to go out for "just one drink" after work ... yep, it's that British pub culture again :rolleyes: I'm now knocking back as much coffee as I can to try and sober up and put in my art time for today. I will be disappointed if I don't manage a pastel sketch. OK, time for another coffee ...:D

E-J
11-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Well, I didn't sketch ... instead I put in 45 mins on my Sargent copy :)

pampe
11-25-2003, 04:29 PM
y'all are doing so well

I am so proud of you!!!:clap:

annasluC
11-25-2003, 05:36 PM
I've been doing some sketching, trying new ideas for possible art projects for my student to do and reworking some necklaces. I think I'll work on jewelry over the break and take some photo's. A friend is supposed to go with me to Jekyll Island and shoot some sunrise photo's ( fingers crossed... ever time I try it rains!!!)

I'll post some Sunday night.
Later
Anna

Day 7

JamieWG
11-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi everybody!

Today's paintings....2 quickies from life in the NWCA studio:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1781188#post1781188

Anna, good luck with the sunsets! 'Looking forward to them.

EJ, can't wait to see your Sargent copy. Please post a link when you're done and sober. LOL :evil: :D As Angela said, many of us have started over. I think I'm on my 4th try! I'll probably go for a Round Two when this one is done. Too much fun to give up.

Jenny, as EJ said, the folks in the pastel forum are wonderful. You're gonna love it there.

Lorijo, my son just arrived! Did yours get home yet? So nice to have our kids home. :)

Angela and Michele, keep it going!

Jamie, Day 18

angela
11-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi guys! Well, i finally finished something!!!! I was having fun with this. Its a watercolor...6x5 ish...i used a pic from the image library for a reference and interpreted it in my way. It was fun!
angela, day 13

angela
11-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Ack!!! I tried to attach my watercolor and it didnt work..so lets try it again!!

Lorijo
11-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Jamie I love the girls dancing, I have always wanted to paint something like that too. The other one is swell too. My son came home too, at 6 o'clock! It was so funny, he got off the bus and I said "is that him? Or is that a girl? Oh, it is him!" His hair is real long! Hubby is still teasing me!

Angela, nice flower!

All I did today was some sketching and a little digital photo work. Lorijo

JamieWG
11-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Angela, I can't believe that's a watercolor! It's so bright that it looks like acrylic. You must be happy with this one! :)

Lorijo, sketching is good! That's what I've been doing too in order to not drop a day, when time gets tight. I know I wouldn't be sketching if we weren't doing this challenge. I'm going to try to keep going. Amy (DraigAthar) challenged herself to do *some* kind of art work every day for a year....and she's almost finished the year. Who knows.......maybe that could be our New Year's Challenge. :)

I just finished Sovek Ex. 10. I'm a couple of weeks ahead now, which is a good thing, since I'll be away for awhile in December. I was supposed to finish this exercise around Dec. 6-8.

The hardest of the 21 days will be tomorrow, because I'm doing the Thanksgiving Day cooking/serving/entertaining. Yikes. I guess I'll do some sketching in bed at night before I go to sleep.

Lorijo, I keep telling my son he should grow his hair! He keeps it pretty short. It's great that we have our boys home. :)

Jamie

E-J
11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
I put in an hour and a half tonight, despite feeling when I came home that I REALLY didn't want to paint. I told myself I may as well get on with my Sargent copy ... and 90 minutes later, I'd finished it! Frustratingly, I'm having isp problems and cannot upload my image, but I'll be sure to share it with you when it's posted to the final entry page of the project. :)

Lorijo
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Just more sketching again, you are right Jamie, without the challenge, I wouldn't be sketching at all! Tomorrow will be tough for sure, I wonder what the inlaws would do if they caught me sketching them!:evil: Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Okay, I have been busy lately! But Day 16 I added a touch here and there on the oil pastel - lost a bit of interest in it. Watercolour still not finished - I think I'm scared to start on the boats! :)

I started a coloured pencil sketch of a flower.

Angela - I love your flower.
Lorijo - those dancing girls have so much movement - it's amazing.

Day 17 - worked on the flower for a few minutes - only got to bed at 12 (which is late for me!) But I couldn't skip now and start over!!

Here's the oil pastel and watercolour (apologies again for the bad quality!) The weather has been poor and lighting in the house is just not good enough for taking photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2003/21724-Watercolour_wip2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2003/21724-Oil_Pastel_wip.jpg

E-J
11-27-2003, 03:24 AM
My isp is letting me post images again, so here's yesterday's finish to my copy of Sargent's 'Paul Helleu Sketching with His Wife' (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=30995) in oil pastel.

Day 5, 27 Nov: I won't have time to paint tonight (got friends coming round) so I've managed to fit in a 15-min pastel sketch before getting dressed for work! This is Spiros (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2003/13865-spiros.JPG), a little Greek sculpture who sits on the shelf. It's safe to say that without this project, I wouldn't have motivated myself to do this, so thanks Jamie :)

I will come back and comment on everyone else's work later. Some of you are on Day 17!! Good going!!

JamieWG
11-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my inspirational friends here on the 21 Day Challenge thread. I am so thankful to all of you for your kindness, assistance, and artistic insights.

EJ, do you have a similarly-themed fall feast holiday there at some point this time of year? Also, I meant to thank you so much for telling me how to do those links. What a great thing to know how to do! I love your little statue! What a cute still life guy he is----perfect for the what-to-draw blues. :) 'Will check out your Sargent copy shortly.

Jenny, Congrats on your Day 17! BTW, the dancers painting is mine, but I understand well how hard it is to keep track of who's doing what!

Is your OP from the WDE? I thought I remembered seeing it there. That was a very tough, but inviting reference photo! You are brave to have a go at watercolors! The water looks nice. Everything else coming along.....looking forward to the finish.

I don't know HOW I'm going to fit in time for art today....but since I'm on Day 20, I have to! Late tonight, I guess.

Jamie, Day 20

MicheleO
11-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Happy Turkey Day everyone.
Thanks for all the inspiration and sharing...
Have a great holiday!

E-J
11-27-2003, 02:10 PM
EJ, do you have a similarly-themed fall feast holiday there at some point this time of year?

Jamie, those quickie oils of yours are great! Do you notice something about my little statue? He's .... a WHITE object!! Yep, I've found something to paint for your 'white' project :D

No, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here as it's so specific to American history, but we do have 'Guy Fawkes Night' on the 5th of November, with firework displays and bonfires - and sometimes chilly-weather treats like roast chestnuts and mulled wine. In the States, the end-of-year holiday season seems to pretty much begin with Thanksgiving, but we have to be patient and wait a little longer for our turkey here :)

Angela, I like your flower!

Jenny, can't keep up with all your pictures - you've been so busy! How are you enjoying the oil pastels now?

spaciouslands
11-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Since it's turkey day, I decided to take a different approach while sitting at my trusty computer, a dancing turkey.

jennydb_uk- The bright colors of your works are great!

angela- The flower is sooo good.

Hope everyone had a great day and I must get back to a colored pencil drawing that I have been working on..

angela
11-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Hi everybody!
Thank you all for the kind words about my watercolor! I am pleased with it. And I had fun doing it. I think i am going to do a couple more for a little series on them.
spacious hands...did you do the animation on that turkey? that is too cute!
jenny, i love the water on your watercolor! i am sure the boats will come out fabulous!!!
Jamie, I too love your dancing girls!
Thanks everybody for your inspiration and motivation to keep the art coming!
Jamie, you are almost done!!!! Great job! Thanks for starting this challenge. It has been sooo helpful. I am on day 15, and feel like i am already in the habit of somehow squeezing some art in my life every day!
EJ congrats on fitting in a 15 minute pastel sketch! i can relate to that! if i at least get fifteen minutes in, i feel like i have accomplished something!
Angela, day 15

JamieWG
11-27-2003, 08:01 PM
EJ and Angela, thank you for the compliments about the dancers. I will do a few more touches to that one and see if a gallery owner wants it. If not, I'm going to hang it in my bedroom for awhile. I kinda like it. :)

Spaciouslands, if you've posted your colored pencil WIP somewhere, would you please give us a link to it? I'd love to see it. Your turkey makes me laugh. :D

Angela, have you squeezed in your art yet today? The series sounds like a great idea.

EJ, so glad your little statue is white! Yes, it'll be perfect for the project.

Michele, happy T-day to you, too!

I did an experiment for me and EJ, working oil pastels over Neocolor. EJ, it worked out really well! I'll go post it in the sketches thread in the pastel forum for you, and I'll get to play with your cool linking for comparison with the old one. Wait till you see how much depth the OP layer added! I couldn't get any more layers with the Neocolors, but the OPs went right over them no problem. 'Be back to post a link to the post in the Pastel forum........
Here's the link to the post with the oil pastels added:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1786916#post1786916

Jamie, Day 20!

angela
11-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Hi Jamie...no i havent sqeezed my art in today...i'm probably going to get some sketching done here at my desk...i am at work!!! and this morning, i cooked for the family....but hopefully i will at least have a few minutes to do SOMETHING!!!! i have to, i'm on day 15!
angela

Lorijo
11-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Nice turkey Rick! Jenny, like your buildings! I just sketched a sailboat! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Lorijo

JamieWG
11-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Angela, what do you do that you are at work on T-day?

Lorijo, was that the sailboat that sparked your big adventure? The one that tipped over?

Jamie

angela
11-27-2003, 09:18 PM
I work in the photo department of the newspaper out here. Unfortunately, the newspaper never closes! I get the photos ready to print...fix the color balance, sharpening, sizing, touching them up...just making them print right basically.
I didnt come in till 4pm, so i had time to have thanksgiving dinner with my family early..then at work they provided us with quite a spread also.

angela

Lorijo
11-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Cool Angela! That sounds like a fun job!

Yes Jamie, that was the one, I was looking at before I started cooking and thinking it was so pretty, if I didn't have to cook I would paint it. And then it flipped and they looked like such goofs after a half hour without getting it up again I called the Coast Guard. The pelicans were dive bombing all around them eating little fish too and in those conditions there is the possibility of sharks. It looked nice again once they got it going and thats what I used to sketch from.

I will try and post tomorrow, I am dead tonight. Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-28-2003, 04:03 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my inspirational friends here on the 21 Day Challenge thread. I am so thankful to all of you for your kindness, assistance, and artistic insights.

Jenny, Congrats on your Day 17! BTW, the dancers painting is mine, but I understand well how hard it is to keep track of who's doing what!

Is your OP from the WDE? I thought I remembered seeing it there. That was a very tough, but inviting reference photo! You are brave to have a go at watercolors! The water looks nice. Everything else coming along.....looking forward to the finish.

I don't know HOW I'm going to fit in time for art today....but since I'm on Day 20, I have to! Late tonight, I guess.

Jamie, Day 20

Jamie! I am SOOO SORRY for making that mistake!:eek:

I must admit - I do sometimes confuse you and Lorijo - you seem like you have a lot in common, many similarities. I apologise to you both!

Yes, the OP is from there!

Thanks for everyone's insights, comments and encouragement - sometimes a project works and sometimes it doesn't! We'll see what happens when I finish...

The weekend is going to be really dificult - we are going away. (But we don't have Thanksgiving here). I'll have to pack paper an pencil and make time to sketch.

Last night I continued with my coloured pencil flower. Coming along, but I need better light, have to get a proper lamp.

Day 18 (Yeah!)
Jenny

JamieWG
11-28-2003, 04:46 PM
I just realized, today is Day 21 for me and I've already done some artwork! Gee, that went fast! I'm going to try to keep going for Round 2, starting tomorrow. :)

EJ, I just looked at your Sargent copy. What a nice job you did. I agree with you about how fantastic that composition is. Stunning. How do you get such fine detail with the OPs? Have you sharpened them a bit?

Jenny, don't worry about confusing us. I do it all the time! Just keep painting. Have fun on your trip! Colored pencils are so portable----great medium for travel.

Lorijo, I just loved that story. I didn't realize you have sharks in the river! Yikes. Do you swim there?

Angela, you must be a whiz at Photoshop! Now I know who to hit on for advice when I need it. :D

Jamie

E-J
11-28-2003, 05:50 PM
I went and put both 25 and 26 November as being Day 5. Sheesh, am I not finding this hard enough without having to add on extra days?? So today is in fact Day 7 ... a third of the way through the challenge!

Finally found time for pastelling today from 9:15-10:15pm. I did this sketch in soft pastels from a setup of 'red' objects on my kitchen table.

I am soooooooo tired today ... will come back with my brain intact tomorrow :)

Lorijo
11-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Today touched up a painting and then supervised while my hubby hung my paintings at the gallery. Its our grand opening tomorrow! I became a full-time member last week so I had twice as much space and more room for more paintings! Went shopping with my son then, I am sooooo pooped! Lorijo

jennydb_uk
11-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Just a quick post before I get ready to leave! I will not be posting the weekend, but will post when I get back. Today is Day 19, when I get back here on Monday it will be Day 21!!

Last night I did a bit of work on my CP flower. Almost done then I need to do the background.

Here it is: (bad quality again - the flash made half of it dissappear!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/21724-CP_flower.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Jenny

E-J
11-29-2003, 07:54 AM
EJ, I just looked at your Sargent copy. What a nice job you did. I agree with you about how fantastic that composition is. Stunning. How do you get such fine detail with the OPs? Have you sharpened them a bit?

Jamie - no, I didn't sharpen the op's at all as some of them are worn down to quite small pieces and would have disappeared completely! Just pushed the colour around with Colour Shapers to get the lines I wanted. Thanks for your nice comments.

Day 8 ... No paintings to show yet as I overslept this morning, but I HAVE just made a couple of arty purchases! Doesn't really count as being creative, does it? Sure was fun, though :D

I've been feeling the need to get back to painting less from photos and more from life but I don't have many pretty objects to paint. So I bought a little white ginger pot decorated in blue & gold which will look lovely in still lifes. I also got a shoulder bag/pack with pockets that's fairly small and lightweight but roomy enough to carry a small plein air kit (6x9" pastel pad, Conté sticks, tin of watercolours, digital camera etc). I am on holiday now for nine days and I SO want to be brave and go out plein airing ... unfortunately the weather has taken a turn for the WET :mad:

Hey Jamie, you know that wooden pastel tote we both bought from fineartstore.com? I was thinking that if you wanted to take the box out for plein air, you could tape a sheet of pastel paper onto each of the dividing panels and use them as drawing boards - then afterwards you'd stick the two panels back in place, tape a sheet of tracing paper over one of them and fold the box back up, and your pastel paintings would then be protected when you transported them home! You probably thought of this months ago :D but I'm rather pleased with myself for thinking inventively for a change.

Lorijo
11-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Its my 21st day! Still have to do something today though!

The flower looks beautiful Jenny!

Oh, Jamie, used to swim in the river when I was young, not anymore though! Anything that is in the ocean can show up in the river, lots of stingrays, we even see whales once in awhile. Lorijo

E-J
11-29-2003, 11:02 AM
This is a 50-min study (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/13865-study.jpg) I have just done, for a possible painting later in the week. I am less than thrilled with this sketch but I seem to be having a concentration problem due to tiredness. This week I haven't set foot in my painting room: I've been pastelling on the living room floor or at the kitchen table instead. I just feel too zonked to sit at an easel! I need to get lots of sleep. Then I need to tidy my painting room. Then I need to buy some fresh peaches. We'll see what happens after that!!

Lorijo! Day 21!! Good on you!! :)

E-J
11-30-2003, 10:08 AM
40 mins of plein air sketching this morning:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149819

Lorijo, did you manage Day 21?

I am off to struggle with a possible still life setup ... something I find hopelessly difficult! Hope everyone is finding time to create art as well as Thanksgiving dinner ;)

JamieWG
11-30-2003, 10:32 AM
I'm on Day 23. :) I'm going to see how long I can keep this going for.

EJ, great job on the plein air work! I guess that's the result of your new little bag, right? Great idea. With your days off, are you feeling more rested now? I take it you're setting up this still life to be some kind of main project during your vacation time. (?)

Lorijo, 'glad to hear you're not swimming with the sharks anymore. Much safer for your to be here with us. :)

Jenny, we're expecting to see that finished flower upon your return. :evil: <kidding>

I'm plugging away at the Sovek exercises. 'Will finish Ex. 15 today.

Jamie, Day 23

E-J
11-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Jamie, YES re the bag and YES re the still life project :) As for feeling rested ... it would help if I didn't have such late nights ... but hey, they're part of the fun of being on holiday :D Thanks for your kind comment about my plein air ... I felt a bit stupid posting it, knowing it must look like a child's scribble to all the experienced plein airists. I should imagine once you've learnt to paint unselfconsciously and freely in a public place, you will be a better painter full stop.

Day 23 for you :clap:

MicheleO
11-30-2003, 10:46 AM
I am back on day 1 today.
I spent two crazy days at work that got the best of me. Work is the exact reason I need to stay focused in art. It is where too much of my time already goes.

It's okay, because I am refocused and heading into the studio for some ME time. And I am very excited because I got a camera so now I can share with all of you. (as soon as i figure out how to post them)..:)

I'm so happy to see how well everyone is doing. Jamie keep it up..amazing!

gmc
11-30-2003, 01:59 PM
finished...done...did it. even on Thanksgiving. thanks for noticing.

geri

JamieWG
11-30-2003, 03:42 PM
EJ, your plein air does NOT look like child's scribble. Geez! Late nights mean you have a life. That's a good thing. :)

Michele, I'm so glad you got a camera so you can share with us! Woohoo! Don't worry about having to start over. I had to start again three or four times before I made it to the 21 days.

Geri, congratulations!
Lorijo, congratulations!

Are either of you going to keep going?

Jamie

Lorijo
11-30-2003, 04:13 PM
I am taking a break! I did yesterdays, a little touch-up on a painting. Today did some photography work, I am backing up a bunch of pictures onto disks.

EJ, your stuff does not look like scribbles! Stick with the plein air, it should become addictive after awhile! lorijo

jennydb_uk
12-01-2003, 04:19 AM
Today is Day 21 for me:D - and I will keep going. If I don't, it will be too easy to just put it off again.

I managed to squeeze in a bit of sketching the last two days (having spent the w-end in Oxford), and I will work on the flower tonight (and maybe even finish it :cat: Jamie - lol !)

Geri, Jamie, Lorijo- belated congratulations to you on finishing the 21 Day Challenge and keeping the rest of us going!!!:clap:

Lorijo
12-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Geri, Jamie, and Jenny Congratulations for finishing! I was intending to paint today, maybe tonight, swamped in paperwork. Lorijo

MicheleO
12-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Completed day 2. I locked myself in my studio for 9 hours yesterday. It was amazing.. Just did an hour today, some light painting..

Congrats to all that have finished. Keep it going with us. Its so inspirational.

MicheleO
12-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Here's an hour from the sudio. Its a colored pencil, and the photo quality is off. I haven't done pencil in about 10 years. Its a little off proportionally.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2003/32228-Roll_12_-_1.jpg

jennydb_uk
12-02-2003, 02:10 AM
MicheleO I really like your sketch - the colours are so vibrant!

I just sketched a bit last night - tough day at work - too tired for anything else.

Thanks Lorijo!

EJ - your work is beautiful.

Jamie - got my Sovek book last night! Haven't had time to read any of it yet...

Angela & Rick - where are you?

E-J
12-02-2003, 08:12 AM
I had a fabulous day in London yesterday! Spent ages browsing in Cass Arts, a small but well-stocked art materials shop just behind the National Portrait Gallery. I finally chose a great wooden box by Mabef to keep my water-soluble oils and brushes in. It can hold and transport a canvas panel neatly in the top, so I can use it en plein air if I ever get brave enough!

I also bought a book - 'The Complete Oil Painter' by Brian Gorst. My ambitions for oil painting are modest - I'm still struggling with basic information about mediums and thinners at the moment - but it's a medium I am excited about exploring more.

We rounded off the day with a visit to a great blues bar, where Monday night is jam night ... arrived home very late ... The upshot of all this is that I didn't actually create any art on what was supposed to be Day 10 of my challenge ... ironic, really, since my day was a longer one than usual, lasting from 5:30am to 2am! You'd think I could have fitted something in!! I don't suppose trying out Rembrandt pastels in the shop and reading up about oil painting mediums on the train really counts. Ah well. I had a superb day and I don't mind going back to Day 1. I'm now halfway through staining/varnishing my wooden box (using a brush ... that MUST count!!) and later I plan to get my pastels out.

How's everyone else getting on? :)

JamieWG
12-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Jenny, woohoo! So glad you'll be joining us on the Sovek exercises! Can't wait to see your first up there in the thread. :)

EJ, whether or not you count what you did as an art day is entirely up to you. I decided that for myself, I couldn't count art supply shopping or else I'd be in wallet trouble! LOL.......

Michele, you're really fast with those colored pencils. What is the size of your drawing? Is it Prismacolors? He looks scary! What is he looking at?

I'll be about 7 hours in the Mt. Kisco studio today---still life and open studio. I think I'll do soft pastels today for still life, and give my oil pastels a shot for open studio, which I've not done before. See y'all later!

Jamie, Day 25

MicheleO
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Day 3 here.. I am definately enjoying this challenge.

Jamie, yes he is scary and they are prismacolor pencils. He's on a 14x17 piece of watercolor paper. My paper supply has run thin.. (good sign)

E-J if your day inspired the artist in you, then I would count it probably.

E-J
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Jamie, I can't wait to see what you do with your pastels - both kinds!

So today I varnished my wooden box and spent about 90 mins working on a still life in soft pastels. I'm struggling with it ... I don't seem to be able to create dramatic enough lighting for my still life setups so they end up looking rather flat. I think I need to add a spotlight to my Christmas list!

Michele, Jamie, I was VERY tempted to count my Day 10, as it did indeed inspire me ... but I will be a good girl and start again, at Day 1 :)

flax99
12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey, wow, I'm on Day 20! How'd that happen? Hee hee.

Well, actually, it's day 20 only if I count the days I was traveling for Thanksgiving, when the art got, well, kind of *sketchy*. But I did make the effort, so I'm counting it.

In spite of a throbbing headache, today's effort went into a self-portrait sketch, which I've made into my new tinyhead. It took a lot of fussing to get it to look ok at 60 pixels!

Doing something artistic every day has become a pretty strong habit for me now. I'm even dreaming about painting! I guess it's true what they say, if you do something every day for 2 or 3 weeks, it becomes a habit. So cool.

I hope everyone else is having positive results too!

flax99

E-J
12-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Hello flax ... wtg on reaching day 20 :) Last night I spent a couple of hours reading art books, websites and WetCanvas in an attmept to understand something about oil painting mediums and thinners ... and the meaning of the 'fat over lean' principle finally clicked in my head ... and that was it: my brain was far too active for sleep ... when finally I did fall asleep my dreams were full of linseed oil and white spirit!!

E-J
12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Checking in for day 2! Have spent another couple of hours on my still life and plan to work on it for another hour or so. I'm happier with it today and am enjoying taking time to really explore my soft pastels again - last week I did mostly quick sketches and an oil pastel.

Jamie, where are your Day 25s? Nosy people want to see :D

MicheleO
12-03-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm up to day four again.. woohoo..
EJ.. I'm trying to tackle oils myself and this challenge has certainly helped because each day I understand them a little more. They are also in my dreams:)

I also joined a project on WC .. I'll post some work on that as soon as I get started..

JamieWG
12-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Flax, today should be your Day 21, right? :clap: :clap: :clap:

EJ, we saw a slide show yesterday of the original slides that were accepted into the Pastel Society of America show! So, I didn't have much time to do a painting. This is just a start...a little preview peek....will finish next week:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2003/13766-SL_bottles_onions_cabbage_wip1_400.jpg

The oil pastel in open studio was a total loss...just a blurry, smeary mess. Believe me when I tell you I'm doing you a huge favor by not showing it. :evil: It's BAAAAAD.

Michele, which project did you join?

No artwork today so far. Way too much to do...sigh....

Jamie, Day 25 and hoping for 26 (today)

E-J
12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Jamie, I appreciate you sharing your still life even though it's unfinished - I'll post mine, quid pro quo! As you can see, plenty still to do on the glass vase ... and the shadow ... there will also be a blue pattern on the pot ... and some decorative 'frond' type things coming out of the vase and overhanging the pot ... anyway, here it is so far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2003/13865-wip_3Dec03.jpg

Tomorrow I'd like to do pastels in the morning and oils in the afternoon :)

jennydb_uk
12-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Good stuff on posting those wip's. I enjoy learning from them - how you start, what you do next... I often do not know where to start and what to do first!

I finished the flower yesterday but my hubby took the camera to work and forgot it therre so I will only post a pic tomorrow.

Starting something new today.. Watercolour still not finished - maybe the weekend!

Flax99 - I agree totally - I feel I'm missing something untill I do my bit of art for the day!

flax99
12-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Flax, today should be your Day 21, right? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, yes! Day 21! Not, of course, that I'm going to stop or anything. This is a good habit!

Here's what I did today. My first still life! :)

flax99

angela
12-03-2003, 08:21 PM
hi guys!
i havent posted for a few days, but i have been doing artwork. i did some sketching of my hubby! boy do i need practice on that! LOL, and i did another sunflower. it didnt come out right, so i need to start over. but today is day 21. Yeah!!!! i havent done anything yet. i will later though, probably after work. i also want to keep it going. it does feel like a habit now!!!! so, mission accomplished! hopefully the next 21 days, i can finish more! :D
angela

E-J
12-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Angela and flax, well done on reaching Day 21!! :clap:

This evening I finished my still life (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150785), which for me always seems to mean taking it to a stage where I then like to let it sit for a couple of days while I decide what might need fixing (ie. when WC'ers have told me what it needs ;))

I've also been learning a bit about colour theory. Tomorrow I'm going to play with my w/s oils! flax, your orange is super - I guess that's oil paint?

MicheleO
12-04-2003, 06:42 PM
great wip from everyone..

I'm on day 5.
Jamie I joined the dreamhouse project.. Haven't posted yet though. I did some acrylic work for it, but realized I haven't done a house in a piece of artwork in about 15 years. So it is definately a good challenge!

jennydb_uk
12-05-2003, 04:06 AM
Congratulations Flax and Angela!!!:cool: :clap:

I'm still going, also still waiting for the camera....

Angela - hope you don't mind - I liked your flower so much you got me going on flowers now!!
Started one last night and couldn't stop untill I finished. Went to bed sooo late but so worth it. Will post the pics this w-end!

Also - I need that canvas pad if I'm going to start the Sovek exercises - time for some shopping......;) :D

JamieWG
12-05-2003, 07:36 AM
Congratulations, Flax and Angela. Flax, the orange looks great!

Jenny, still looking forward to your Sovek ex's.

EJ, beautiful still life!

Well, I only got up to 25 days. I've taken two or three days off, looking at art magazines and taking on ideas for future paintings. (I keep a running list for the winter months.)

Keep up the good work, everybody!

Jamie

flax99
12-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by E-J
... flax, your orange is super - I guess that's oil paint?

:) Acrylic

(Thanks Jamie. At least it's more or less recognizable.)

Great work everyone!

flax99

angela
12-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the congrats everybody! It feels good!!! Last night I started a new sunflower. Its coming along nicely...I actually did most of it last night. Will probably finish it tonight, and post it next week.
Jamie, you deserve a break!!! You're still in the art frame of mind!;)
Jenny, you're funny! Of course I dont mind...I cant wait to see what you did! I have a sunflower obsession right now!
Great WIP's everybody!
ciao!
angela

E-J
12-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Yesterday was Day 4 for me, and I fiddled a bit with my still life following the suggestions I got in the Pastels forum ... they're hard taskmasters over there!! ... still pushing me to push the contrasts in my picture ... I DO NOT feel ready to finish it ... so have taken a ref photo of my setup, printed out everyone's suggestions and will return to it when I'm less on edge.

I did finish varnishing my paintbox and also tinted a small canvas board ready to start an oil painting. It's now Day 5 and I haven't done any art today ... so hopefully I'll be back later ...

JamieWG
12-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by E-J
I did finish varnishing my paintbox and also tinted a small canvas board ready to start an oil painting.

OK, EJ, you got my attention! LOL....Can't wait to see what you do with the oils. :)

Angela, show us the sunflower PLEASE!

Flax, now you have me wanting to go play with my acrylics. I saw this pic this morning in the reference library. Too cute! I just might have to go and play with it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=25167&size=big&papass=&sort=1

Jamie

E-J
12-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Oils, acrylics, pastels ... too many different media and too little time!!

So I set up my new paintbox at the kitchen table and spent an hour doing an acrylic underpainting in burnt umber and white, ready to paint over in w/s oils. This is only the second time I've got my acrylics out this year and I really enjoyed myself ... have never tried them on canvas board before and it's a lovely surface for them! I could quite happily continue in acrylics but the aim of this little study is supposed to be practice with my oils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/13865-6dec03.jpg

Jamie, that photo is gorgeous ... I'm not one for ooohing and aaahing over animals ... unless they're cats ... then I go completely gooey :)

JamieWG
12-06-2003, 04:20 PM
EJ, wow that's a great start! I'd glaze it with acrylics! (Ok, hit me now!)

My little 5X7 sketch:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/13766-kitten_apple_400.jpg

Guess that puts me to Round 2, Day 1. LOL... I'll tweak a few things and maybe give it to cat-lover sis for Chrismas....otherwise it'll go to a show in August.

I asked my daughter if she wanted it, and she said she wants the photo reference. Is this why child abuse exists? :D

Jamie

E-J
12-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Jamie, you did the sketch in acrylics? It's perfect! :)

JamieWG
12-07-2003, 09:01 AM
EJ, I did it in oils. I keep meaning to work in pastels and acrylics, but it's so hard to tear myself away from my oils. I know you feel the same about your pastels and understand this!

How's your painting coming along?

Jamie

E-J
12-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi Jamie ... yep, totally understand the attachment to one medium ... but I'm noticing lately that as I experiment again with paint after 10 months of pastelling, my technique is better somehow ... so I'm thinking I should play with wet media more often.

My pastel still life is still sitting on the easel in my painting room as I try to summon up enough courage to finish it! So my lemon & lime were set up on the kitchen table, but I've had to move them to one side as the table's being used for food preparation (hardly seems fair, does it! :D) I'm hoping to work on it later this afternoon ... Day 6 is slipping away ... I got sidetracked by Christmas shopping.

I've got a question about oils, but if you haven't got time to answer it, no worries - I'll post it to the Oils forum. I want the paint to be nice and creamy as I intend to apply all the colour in one layer, blending as I go. I've got some low-odour thinner (to replace turps) and a water-soluble oil medium (to replace linseed oil) but have no idea what ratio of these I should be mixing into my paint. Any idea? :confused:

JamieWG
12-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi EJ. I wish I could help you, but I've never used the water soluble oils. I know the consistency is different from traditional oils. There are several people in the Oils forum who have used them. If a search doesn't give you your answer, you may want to post the question over there.

Jamie

MicheleO
12-07-2003, 08:04 PM
As I looked around my studio this morning, I noticed something new. Artwork, completed and in progress is piling up all over the place.. Woohoo... This is a completely new experience for me. I am on day 7 today. I locked myself in the studio for 6 hours and did some acrylic painting. This is my most comfortable medium. I did a still life and 1/2 of another painting. My productivity is getting so much better!

Jamie, the kitten is amazing.
EJ, the still life looks great..

Thanks to everyone for the motivation!

annasluC
12-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Sorry it's been a few weeks... I hope everyone had a wonderful turkey day!!!!
Quite a lot going on.
My sunrise photo's weren't as dramatic as I would like. Now I'm going to try sunsets and I have a great shot in-visioned for a moon-rise if I can get there in time tomorrow.
I was able to get a photo into an exhibit this last week:D
Here are a few I've shot lately
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2003/15739-img_8535.1.jpg
THis is from tonight. There are some power lines that need to be taken out digitally.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2003/15739-IMG_8523.1.jpg

I've also done some more jewelry, but I need some better material to use as a background.

Anyhow,
Anna
Day 19

MicheleO
12-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Anna, they are breathtaking...
Congrats on day 19!

jennydb_uk
12-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone

I also took a day or 2 off! I did go to the Tate Britain on Saturday (the Turner collection was not so great....) but I didn't have enough time to see the Turner prize exhibits as well.

A bit of sketching Sunday. Today will be tough again, but if nothing else I hope to post a pic or 2!!

Thanks Angela - yes, the flowers have me hooked! They are fun and colourful. I do them on 5 x 8 w/c paper with colour pencils, so I can finish them in a few hours and also do not need a lot of space to do them!

Jamie - I love the kitty, Anna the photographs are beautiful and EJ - as always - very nice!

jennydb_uk
12-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Finally - my flowers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/21724-flower.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/21724-sunflowers.jpg

E-J
12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
I missed Day 6 ... I painted and sketched yesterday but I don't think the 21 Day Challenge is really working out for me. Every few days, I find that I like and need to spend time reading about materials and techniques ... absorbing information ... and sometimes this kind of study takes the place of actually creating art, but it feels worthwhile. So ... perhaps I need to set myself a slightly different kind of challenge than making art every day.

angela
12-11-2003, 12:01 AM
hi everybody!
well i finally finished something else! another sunflower. watercolor.
jenny, i loveyour flowers. they are beautiful!
hope everybody is doing well!
angela

jennydb_uk
12-12-2003, 07:14 AM
I guess this thread is dead, but Angela just wanted to say thank you! And - your flower is also beautiful - the colour is wonderful. Amazing what you can achieve with water colour!

Take care all and have great holidays!!

I am joining in on the Sovek exercises next.

See you all around.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JamieWG
12-12-2003, 07:40 AM
I guess this thread is dead,

LOL....Well Jenny, I got a lot out of doing the 21 days. It did make me realize ways in which I can get artwork done on days that are tight for me. It got me back into sketching at night with oil pastels or my Neocolor IIs when I was too tired to go to the studio, and got me onto a consistent path. I'm so glad I did it. I don't think I'll be doing 21 days in a row these next few weeks, but I'll bet I won't miss more than one or two either.

Thanks so much to all of you who played along. I hope you got as much out of it as I did. I also hope others will pick up this thread and do the 21 days. It was a fabulous experience, even if I did have to restart a few times in order to achieve the goal of 21 consecutive days.

Jenny, I'll see you over in the Sovek exercises----a great follow-up to the 21 days!

Jamie

jennydb_uk
12-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks Jamie!

Yes indeed - I can agree with everything you said. I will be starting the exercises this weekend..... See you there!