PDA

View Full Version : Chalk art competition - is Crayola good enough?

pagnes
04-23-2017, 01:50 PM
hello, I'm going to partecipate a chalk art festival. I have various pastels but as the painting will be quite big I thought to buy Crayola Sidewalk Chalk (48 pieces) in order to not to run out of material. Is it good enough for artistic purposes (bright colors, quality)?

thank you

CM Neidhofer
04-23-2017, 10:02 PM
The only sidewalk art I've seen was done with pastels.

pagnes
04-25-2017, 05:09 PM
I actually have seen some some videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxUbgKKk86I (Palo Alto festival) where some street artist use them for serious artwork but they are posted by Crayola, I'd like to hear some independent opinion. If they are good as it seems from the amazon reviews and they are also very cheap (at least in USA but not here in Italy, they cost 3 times more) why they are no more popular amongst streetpainters?

DAK723
04-25-2017, 08:42 PM
I am not sure if there are any street painters on this forum. But, personally, this is the type of product I would use. I would never use artist brand pastels on the street. That would be an enormous waste of money, in my opinion! I am not sure where you might find some street painters to get their opinions.

Don

JPQ
04-29-2017, 10:24 PM
I am not sure if there are any street painters on this forum. But, personally, this is the type of product I would use. I would never use artist brand pastels on the street. That would be an enormous waste of money, in my opinion! I am not sure where you might find some street painters to get their opinions.

Don

I feel most artist quality stuff has pigments what i think don t should pt nature.... even they are maybe same for human but small animals and plants and mushrooms.

pagnes
04-30-2017, 01:37 AM

Don

That's the point, I'm surely not going to use my Rembrandt pastels on the street. Anyway I ordered Crayola, I'll see if it works.
I've found this comparison on the net http://www.amazingstreetpainting.com/street-painting-blog/chalk-test-2015, I'd buy Koss pastels, but it is not sold in Italy.

I wonder why there is no section for street painters on the site, BTW I have used the internal search before posting but it does not work for me (I wonder why?), I get always a blank page.