PDA

View Full Version : Recycling

spydersmomtammy
04-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Since I try to practice painting as much as possible, I've been running out of storage space so ended up recycling hundreds of works to reuse the surfaces. Here are a couple of new ones this week done on some of those recycled papers.

"We Can Dance If We Want To" is 9 x 12 inches on recycled UArt 500, inspired by my dog's exuberant joy playing in the creek. For this one I used primarily Terry Ludwig and Henri Roche pastels with an acrylic ink underpainting.

"Merely Shadows to the Unseen" is 6 x 9 inches on recycled UArt 500, from my imagination but inspired by the dirt road near our home where we often walk. This one was done with Mungyo Gallery Handmade and Great American pastels with no underpainting, just more or less letting my imagination go where it wanted.

Thanks so much for looking!

DAK723
04-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Very nice! The trees and foliage are especially impressive in both!

Don

water girl
04-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Yes, you handle foliage quite nicely. You are not afraid to play with color. Well done!

spydersmomtammy
04-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Thank you so much Don and Karen! I do love trees, and feel they are the lungs of the Earth, so always enjoy attempting to paint them. I'm still working on developing more "color confidence", so greatly appreciate the encouragement there as well!

Divasin
04-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Tammy, love them both..it's funny that my last upload was also inspired by my dog walks. It's a great reason incentive to get out and observe.
I like the serenity of your second example.

Donna T
04-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Two very nice works, Tammy! I like the playful, lively mood of the first and the serene feeling of the second.

spydersmomtammy
04-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Thank you so much Leslie and Donna! I very much admire both your landscape styles, and greatly appreciate your kind comments!

madijen
04-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Beautiful landscapes. Love the dog splashing about.

Karen

spydersmomtammy
04-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Thank you Karen! Our Frylie just loves playing in the water, and he is so much fun to paint!

Lucyloo123
04-23-2017, 01:08 PM
These are both really nice. How exactly do you recycle the papers?

spydersmomtammy
04-23-2017, 01:39 PM
These are both really nice. How exactly do you recycle the papers?

Thank you Lucy! There are lots of ways to recycled sanded surfaces. The method I use is pretty simple. For most papers, I just use a stiff brush to brush off the previous painting (definitely do this outside, and wear a mask and gloves if desired). With UArt, I also sometimes use a wet brush if needed. There will usually still be a very faint ghost image remaining, or at a minimum the paper will have turned to a darkish muddy color, so I just turn the paper sideways or upside down and work with whatever minimal staining remains on the surface as an underpainting of sorts. Hope this helps.

Frances Obie
04-24-2017, 09:32 AM
I agree with the above comments. Your foliage is always beautifully rendered. Your use of violets against warm greens is especially effective in the second.

stapeliad
04-24-2017, 03:07 PM
I love both these paintings. WONDERFUL atmosphere (the purple! :heart: in the second.

spydersmomtammy
04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Thank you so much Jessica and Frances! As always, I am most appreciative of the kind comments!

Skavendish
05-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Thanks for posting your work! I liked them :-)

Shallbe
05-24-2017, 04:38 PM
I am not yet to the point where I feel I am willing to recycle early paintings! They are still all my babies.

You have done them proud, though. I especially appreciate the top one, with your dog (being a dog person). I am drawn to the featheriness of the trees in the top left.

shallbe

spydersmomtammy
05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words George and Shallbe!

Shallbe - I was really hesitant to recycle all those old paintings at first, especially since I'm still pretty new to painting and am not yet to the point of being able to be totally objective about my works at times. But once I got started, it was actually rather freeing. I did take photos of the old works before recycling in order to retain a record of my (hopefully) progress with continued practice, so I think that helped ease me into letting them go. :-)