PDA

View Full Version : Alla Prima of my sleepin' chocolate pup

LarrySeiler
04-18-2017, 05:52 PM
finished one painting earlier today, and left over paint and Gamblin's Torrit grey and so wanted to use up paint and get one more going. This is essentially finished for what I want to do. I could render it, detail it but...the war in my heart and soul asks me whatever for?

Anyway...I'll share a few steps. I used Thunderbolt cardstock, 80#...sprayed with two coats of Zinsser Bullseye Shellac...taped to a board first.

I premix my palette, which is my habit...even painting from life, well, ESPECIALLY painting from life...and seeing my color harmony is imbued, I just focus on process and brushwork.

I used one brush for the whole painting, a #5 Rosemary flat...(I'm a wiper), painting with the paint of the brush, 3-4 strokes and I go back and get more paint. Just on the tip. One image shows my cradling the brush, which is how I hold it throughout about 90% of the painting. More control with weight of brush from light to heavy.

the size is odd...and selling my work (retired, I don't need to sell) is the last consideration. I could always glue the paper to board, then make an oak or maple L-floating frame...

9"x 6-1/2"

fedetony
04-19-2017, 03:04 AM
Lovely... The process is very illustrative.. Is very loose and free, I must try this someday..

Schuee
04-19-2017, 03:17 AM
Excellent. The colours are lovely, and the looseness.

Triduana
04-19-2017, 04:33 AM
I love this! I enjoy your painting style, loose and controlled. The colours are lovely and relaxing, fitting in well with the subject! I think your initial sketch is adorable, but the paint really brings it to life. Well done. :thumbsup:

LarrySeiler
04-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone...For the affirmation.

This is a continued effort to push beyond my comfort zone, from years of detail rendered more illustrated career work with wildlife art...Photo realism. I have turned to the Thunderbolt cardstock to keep small, so one painting could easily be done per day, at little expense, and storage is a flat bin with wax paper sheets separating work.

Pulling back from the number of events I did and travels to just paint. Eliminating commitments and thus that pressure and sway that creeps up, say from competition, that influences what "must be done to win" kinda thing. In this way...I hope to break headway in my push and studies...

Not out to define art, nor say one way is better than another. A lot of wonderful work here. I just have an awareness of specifities for objectives more essential for what I'm trying to do alla prima. So do appreciate the affirmation, thank you...

chammi kaiser
04-19-2017, 08:12 AM
What a great idea to do lots of small works to loosen up Larry. This one is super.

LarrySeiler
04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks Chammi...About thirty of these small paper cardstock oils now...4-5 per week...

KreativeK
04-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Larry, wow, this is truly genius! Love your style. Thanks for showing your other photos.

LarrySeiler
04-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Thanks Kay...