PDA

View Full Version : Crystal River

LisaOlivarez
04-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Hi Everyone, Here is a sketch/painting I did the other day. I'm having more time in my life to dedicate to my art, and am moving toward becoming more professional in my practices. One thing I'm battling, though, is the ability to just SLOW DOWN and paint thoughtfully. It seems I just get to a point where my brain says, "time to go, someone needs you for something" and I start with these scribbly lines. I do like the scribbly lines. Mostly. But I'd like to be a little more deliberate. You know?????? This painting is about 14 x 28 ". C&C welcome http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2017/225111-Crystal_River.jpg

DAK723
04-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Very nice painting and I think the scribbly lines work very well!

Don

Divasin
04-18-2017, 08:10 AM
I understand your dilemma!
However, I find working quickly (gesture drawing) is a great way to capture the mood and energy of an idea...as you have shown here.
Slowing down can give a more polished result but sometimes the spontaneity is lost.
Aside from the energy I like your colours and the layering gives a sense of depth.
More info about the media would be nice.

Donna T
04-18-2017, 08:37 AM
I like your energetic, expressive scribbles too, Lisa! I could try all day to do that but I'd end up covering them all up because they're not "real" and I'd end up with boring mud. Maybe if you really want to slow down you could limit your scribbles to areas where they have the most impact - like textural foreground foliage and moving water. You might like the look of a quieter background or still water contrasted with moving water- or not. Or you could set yourself a limit: three scribbly lines and no more! :eek: :lol: If you can't finish in one setting it's ok; time away from a painting is really helpful so you can see which areas need something to finish them and which areas are fine the way they are. This is a beautiful painting!

LisaOlivarez
04-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks, Don.

Leslie, it's a mix of different brands of pastels over a pigment wash underpainting on a white sanded paper. I can't remember if it's Art Spectrum or another brand. Thanks for the permission to scribble!

Donna, those are really good ideas! I'll try limiting myself, but I can tell you I'll never hold to just three scribbles!

Thanks!

pugwash
04-18-2017, 11:44 PM
I love it! You keep scribbling girl!

spydersmomtammy
04-19-2017, 06:54 PM
So energetic and such a unique style - really nice!

tuzigoot
04-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Love the scribbles and I think Donna's suggestions are good.

ArtistMelinda
04-24-2017, 06:19 PM
YES! Keep scribbling!
It is an interesting and novel technique - makes your work stand out!:clap:

stapeliad
04-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Really wonderful colors!!

Shallbe
04-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I do really like the scribbled texture. I'm always amazed when someone can make scribbles look like a landscape, as you've done.

It's an awesome technique. I think over time you will learn how to refine it.

shallbe

LisaOlivarez
04-28-2017, 05:19 PM
:clap: :wave: Thank you all. My cousin loved the painting. I really appreciate all of your input, it's so freeing to be told, "go ahead and scribble!"