PDA

View Full Version : Black Mike

vegaskip
04-13-2017, 12:05 PM
111Squadron's Phantom Black Mike, late Gate Gaurdian at RAF Leuchars,
Painted 2014 she was up for offers, but don't know what happened to her.
Leuchars has gone all Khaki these days!. It's a lot quieter in Auchtermuchty now, just the occasional low leveller along the valley under the Lomond Hills, and a very occasional GCA, practically over our house.
Jim

NeilF92
04-14-2017, 06:22 AM
Good one Jim . It got hauled out on display at RAF Leuchars BoB shows etc . I think it still survives , not sure if or where though . Seem to recall some financial stramash about that a year or two back .

Trumper
04-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Another lovely painting, B M has been saved http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?138877-Great-news-about-Phantom-quot-Black-Mike-quot-XV582
"Great news about Phantom "Black Mike" XV582
I am pleased to be able to report the following information as posted by the British F-4 Phantom Aviation Group:

"It is with great pleasure that The British F4 Phantom Aviation Group in partnership with GJD Services is proud to offically announce the ITAR Approval and purchase of McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom XV582 'Black Mike'.
The next step is the strip down and transport.
'582 has been purchased on behalf of the group by Gary Spoors of GJD Services, therefore fundraising will now step up a gear in order to reimburse Mr Spoors for the purchase.
Such fundraising efforts will include supporters packages and a range of merchandise becoming available to all, as well as showing a growing presence at shows and events around the country.

Sam Thompson BF4PAG"

RegisR
04-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Glad somebody is going to restore this Phantom. A couple of years ago, I painted a picture of a USAF Phantom, at an English airbase waiting to be restored for display. It was used as practice "Battle Damage" aircraft, with numerous patches applied to it, as they would in a forward battle area.

Some instructor, probably took an axe to this bird, put holes in it, then the students would 'repair' it, thus the 'patchy' look. The worn area of the paint behind the fence, was probably done by fans pushing themselves up against the wooden fence to get the best picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2017/1682843-Phantom_in_the_Weeds.jpg

vegaskip
04-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Nice painting.
Jim

RegisR
04-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you Jim. This subject was something I had to paint, just because, that airplane, probably has a whole lot of untold stories to tell, from rolling off the assembly line, to God knows how many combat missions over Vietnam and other places.

It had the capability to light off the burners on two J-79's and go vertical and now, it sits on wooden blocks in the weeds, hidden behind some building somewhere. There's a story there, somewhere and that's why I had to put it to canvas.

Funny, how the cockpit smells in these old Century series fighters. It's an odd mix of burnt electronics, cooked plastic and old canvas seat cushions. Maybe that's why I like old cars, because they smell, well, like an old car!

vegaskip
04-14-2017, 03:00 PM
I never worked with phantoms, I had become a civilian when they came over here.
We did however 'cross deck' with Coral Sea, Bennington, Oriskany and BHR, and got to work with Sky Hawks, Crusaders, Skyraiders and even a couple of Skyrays. Choppers as well, infact we had a tragedy when the Helicoprer returning Flight Deck Crew from I think it was Bennington and others ditched with no survivors.
Made some good buddies on runs ashore at Subic Bay and Hong Kong, and a memorable Steak at the Enlisted Men's Club at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa.
Lots of water under the keel since then!.
Jim

RegisR
04-14-2017, 05:19 PM
At least we got to see them! The F-22 is bad ass, (I worked the YF program) but it's like the new cars, not a lot of personality. Planes like the Phantom, the Tomcat and even the English Electric Lightning, at least, had "something"!

I'm the kind of guy that's running out the front door of the house, if something bad-ass is flying! B-1B, whatever!:D

NeilF92
04-14-2017, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=RegisR]Glad somebody is going to restore this Phantom. A couple of years ago, I painted a picture of a USAF Phantom, at an English airbase waiting to be restored for display. It was used as practice "Battle Damage" aircraft, with numerous patches applied to it, as they would in a forward battle area.
QUOTE]

Somewhere I have an almost identical photo of a Phantom stacked against a fence like that . I took it many years ago at Coventry Air Museum . Wonder if it's the same one ?
Another of my projects never done - I always fancied drawing or painting that view from my ref photo . Somehow it appealed to me .
Glad somebody did paint it (or similar)! :)

RegisR
04-14-2017, 09:57 PM
I believe it is, the same aircraft. I don't think it will ever make it inside that museum, with all those patches, unless you replace all those panels!