PDA

View Full Version : colour matching demos

vhere
04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2017/53888-COLOUR_MIXING_IPAD_PHOTO.jpg

the colours are much much closer in real life - the ipad camera enhances the differences and the scanner even more so - but to the eye they are closely matched

This is an exercise I do with my students. Tear small squares of colour from magazines and then try to match them EXACTLY with whatever medium they use. The colour has to touch the torn fragment so that if you squint you can't see the join.

As I say, these are very very much closer in real life :( but I can't catch that with camera or scanner. They tend to pick up and enhance surface colours and these have glazed layers of colour making them up, so the top layer is emphasised.

It's a really good exercise in thinking what colours you need to use to match it, do you need to glaze or mix? what is the colour bias? etc etc etc

I did these as demos and on the left are the coloured pencils I needed to layer to match the swatch and on the right the watercolours. My mix is next to the torn scrap.

The challenge is to make the join between your mix and the original invisible when you squint slightly at it because you matched it so closely. It's an exercise in precision, not approximation :)

eyepaint
04-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Wonderful. I have some paint store paint chip samples to do exactly this exercise. One day. Maybe on the Easter weekend :)

KreativeK
04-26-2017, 11:20 AM
This is such a smart way to teach color!

Joan T
05-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Great idea!!!

maryinasia
05-07-2017, 02:16 AM
fun!

I've seen an art teacher use this method in an oil painting class.

I did a modified version while teaching my friends' children.