PDA

View Full Version : Palembang

vegaskip
04-09-2017, 04:54 AM
One I did in the late 90's Acrylic on mount board about18" X 14"

NeilF92
04-09-2017, 08:26 AM
I like the aircraft , not so sure about the composition though. Would you do it different now Jim?

vegaskip
04-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Completely. A/C bunched like that is ok if you want to 'show case' the aircraft.
I wold probably make it into two paintings, leave the Avengers in, and push the target into the distance, which would shrink the smoke. I would add distant combat as well.
I painted this after I got one of my books on the history of the FAA. and had read up in the exploits of the British Pacific Fleet.
We still had at least one Avenger flying when I joined, I remember seeing most of a hockey teem get out of it at Lee on Solent. That would be 1958, I think it had been one of the AEW convertions, stripped out and used as station 'Hack' at Brawdy.
Jim

Shamrock15
04-09-2017, 12:34 PM
I don't know a whole lot about FAA in the Pacific, so it is nice to see these Jim. I love how you base yours on historical actions. Your comments about how you would change it resonate with me - I ask those questions to my grade 2/3 students and it is amazing how that question can prompt improvements in their art.

vegaskip
04-09-2017, 01:20 PM
I like to try and compose my pics as though I am looking at the action from a reasonably believable position. Quite easy with my usual ship pics, but a bit more dificult with aviation, especially the Dog Fight!.
Jim