PDA

View Full Version : Scumbled to Death? WIP

sundiver
10-30-2003, 08:04 PM
I scanned the first stage as a WIP but forgot to post it before continuing. The ref pic was badly colored but I thought I remembered the day I took it- a balmy, peaceful dayoil pastel 8x10 on canvas paper scumbled with periwinkle blue acrylic mixed with pastel ground. Blocked the lights and darks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2003/6393-newglasgowstage1.jpg

sundiver
10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Next day after work (still forgot I was going to post first stage) I went at it with green and yellow. I didn't want to use my olive greens this time. Decided it was too garish and not receding enough, and scumbled blue all over it, scanned it and went to bed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2003/6393-newglasgowstage2.jpg

sundiver
10-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Next morning (today) hubby looks at it and says, "too purply". I have to balance 1) the fact that he's color-blind and knows nothing about art with 2) the fact that he is rarely critical of my paintings.
After work I decided it was too green, so I scumbled it all over with a dull pink.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2003/6393-newglasgowstage3.jpg
Sooo....
Have I ruined it?
Was there anything to ruin in the first place?
Is it just me, or does it still look like blobs of green frosting?
Salvageable, or in the bin? I can take it! It's just some paper.
Start over? Worth starting over?

Stoy Jones
10-30-2003, 10:13 PM
I happen to like this so far. I like how you brought the whole thing into focus. Has a good feel of distance to me.

Stoy

Dyin
10-31-2003, 12:47 AM
I like the sense of depth you have...how about a few oranges in the foreground to play off the pinky lavender??? I like it...color blind and a critic??? :D :evil: :D

blissfullyunaware
10-31-2003, 04:53 AM
:clap: :D ~~~~ sharon

Bubba's Mama
10-31-2003, 05:32 AM
As a rank beginner I cannot critique - no credibility!!:D

But I can tell you I like this - love the scumbly bits - and I wouldn't change a thing!

Susan (who just got a full set of Unisons, and can't wait to get started!!)

Dark_Shades
10-31-2003, 08:34 AM
I cant think of a landscape you have done, that I didnt like ...... I love this WIP of yours..... something I would like to try too ..... see if it helps me at all ..... and I dont think you have spoilt it at all..... love it so far

jackiesimmonds
10-31-2003, 05:50 PM
I think it is coming along well - definitely not one for the bin.

You could increase the distance, and sense of atmosphere, even more, by making the distant trees even lighter.

And....in your shoes, I think Imight do away with some of the horizontals in the water. You have lots of horizontals in the pic all ready - seems to me there are a few too many in the water, and you are over-egging the pudding there.

Jackie

Kathryn Wilson
10-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Oh boy, do I like this!! I love all the blues and greens - and I keep finding tiny little things I like here and there.

I do, however, agree with Jackie that you could do with less lines in the water - I think it would calm the water down with some larger patches of blue, or whatever color you want to make the water. Blue works for me.

:D

jackiesimmonds
11-01-2003, 02:48 AM
Re the water...... a large body of still water will reflect the colour of the sky, as well as having reflections of trees etc in it.

thelonious
11-01-2003, 09:06 AM
I don't know nuthin about nuthin, maybe I'm weird, but I really like the first picture, the work in progress. Maybe I just like the contrast and non-"total realistic-ness" of it. :confused:

My son got me up at 5am this cold saturday morning, so my command of the English language is not at it's best! :o

Mikki Petersen
11-01-2003, 03:50 PM
I think this is coming along beautifully. Interesting to watch you "grow" the scene and see how your use of color changes the drama. I agree with the others about the lines in the water but it is a very small issue in an otherwise beautiful work.

sundiver
11-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I think I followed all the advice! I added orange and loved the result, scumbled some more pale blue over the background, and made the water less line-y.
I'm at that sick-of-it stage and want to put it away, but will gladly receive more advice- I'll just act on it later! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2003/6393-newglasgowstage4.jpg

blissfullyunaware
11-02-2003, 04:54 PM
sign it ... frame it... love it

:clap: :D ~~~~ Sharon