PDA

View Full Version : Glen Muik

NeilF92
04-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Things are a bit quiet these days so I'm posting this precursor in the hopes of kick starting myself into some artwork.
I've used my 3D Blender Tornado and a scale 3D landscape to set up a composition for an Acrylic painting. I've been lucky enough to find a photo of the glen from reasonably close to this view so should turn out a realistic landscape based on this crude likeness . Plenty of reference material to hand on the tornado GR4 - so what could possibly go wrong? :)

Shamrock15
04-06-2017, 04:25 PM
I like the way this is set up Neil, especially how you have the dark hill against the brights on the lead.This should pop!

NeilF92
04-06-2017, 05:09 PM
That's what I'm hoping for D'Arcy - Just a question of getting the light and contrast right and not overblown .

NeilF92
04-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Slightly better render showing more of the terrain.

Ianrevealed
04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
I love your 'models' - feel like they should be picked up and put on display. I wonder if there is such a thing as holograph display cabinets for virtual models such as these?

I suspect this will be a really good painting - you are making great progress with the planning stage that is for sure :clap:

NeilF92
04-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks Ian - it's progressing slowly on canvas . At the moment it's at that stage where you think "This isn't working out like I planned " but I'll press on and likely it will come round to OK :)
I have to confess ,the models are not that good in reality - very obvious here is an enormous gap between the glove and the wing where I obviously wandered off to some other part and forgot to make them fit one another . It comes down to how much time to spend creating these models as opposed to making paintings from them . I tend to skimp on the models and focus on the paintings .

Ianrevealed
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
I know that 'early stage' feeling well. I usually just think in broad terms and try to build up an under-painting, mark in waypoints and think about how the colour gamut will develop from the background through to the foreground (I think its called the gallery tone) - eventually I get a sort of bug about the painting and then it grabs my attention completely - lovely feeling.

Then it gets to the end and i have to start thinking about another one :)

NeilF92
04-21-2017, 05:25 PM
That about sums up my approach too!

Gray539
04-22-2017, 01:28 AM
Looking forward to this one,Neil.