PDA

View Full Version : Northcotes

vegaskip
04-06-2017, 04:59 AM
HMT Northcotes comes to a Bouy at the end of another patrol.............it's the 'A' frame of an Acoustic Hammer for detonating acoustic mines.
Jim

Trumper
04-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Very atmospheric.Did the hammer actually need to make physical contact with the mine or was the mine set off by the noise of the hammer hitting the water near it?

RegisR
04-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Another very interesting piece. That it's not a destroyer, frigate or battleship, doesn't make it any less intriguing as an interesting subject to portray. In fact, it's kind of educational!

gebhm
04-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Nice and educational.

vegaskip
04-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Very atmospheric.Did the hammer actually need to make physical contact with the mine or was the mine set off by the noise of the hammer hitting the water near it?

Yes, the hammer contacting the mine would likely Detonate it., however the idea was that the hammer replicated the noise made by a ship, a microphone picked up the noise and activated the detonater and the mine went off before the ship reached it. There were 'contactmines', the ones with horns anchored to the sea bed set to float at a preset depth. Magnetic mines set off by the ships built in magnetism. This was countered with 'Degausing', fitting a cable round the ship and passing an electric current through it. And by towing two cables with a current which detonated it. Pressure mines set off by the pressure wave from the ship moving through the sea. Ofcourse any or all systems could be fitted. Finally, the 'controlled' mine, usually laid at the entrance to harbours or estuaries, fired electrically when a ship or submarine passed over a detection system.
No you know about as much as me about mines.
Jim

RegisR
04-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Is that the galley cook, dumping the leftovers off've the stern? I see a bunch of very interested seagulls flocking around!

gollum
04-06-2017, 12:31 PM
That is exceptional :cool:

vegaskip
04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Is that the galley cook, dumping the leftovers off've the stern? I see a bunch of very interested seagulls flocking around!

Dead right re the cook. Some Ships had metal chutes for dumping rubbish. 'Gash Chutes' there is a well known saying in maritime circles 'Tinkle Tinkle little spoon. Knife and fork will follow soon.'
Jim

NeilF92
04-06-2017, 01:18 PM
I echo gollum's comment . What a superb render of a hard working , unsung vessel . Not long finished reading a book on WWII Bomb Disposal work . What a nightmare that was and how unbelievably brave were those who undertook the task . Selfless to a fault . It was remarkable to read how many blind chance disarms there were where individuals blundered through new devices and by some miracle didn't trigger the trap. Without such lucky breaks we'd have lost many more BD men .