PDA

View Full Version : Small commission

napier
04-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Small by my standards 20x16inches. have three painting on the go at the moment.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/longforgan/DSC_0006w_zpstu3mnezx.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/longforgan/media/DSC_0006w_zpstu3mnezx.jpg.html)

napier
04-02-2017, 06:38 AM
this will be my last post on this site as I feel I am wasting my time and yours. If you wish to see future art I do you can see it on my Facebook page facebook.com/ArtStudioOfDonWilkie. Thanks for those who did comment and give guidance on my paintings. Don

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg579/longforgan/DSC_0002w_zpsmwvjdopy.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/longforgan/media/DSC_0002w_zpsmwvjdopy.jpg.html)

vegaskip
04-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Nice painting Don, don't blame you.
Jim

gollum
04-02-2017, 07:38 AM
What part of posting here is the waste of time ?

Trumper
04-02-2017, 09:02 AM
The irony is there is a very good artist who only ever posts on here to show his stuff,never seen him comment or advise on anyone else's work so it does work both ways.
For what it's worth i really enjoy reading your posts and looking at the W I P 's but i don't always feel the need to comment unless something sticks out as needing to.

Chas McHugh
04-02-2017, 12:34 PM
never seen him comment or advise on anyone else's work so it does work both ways.

You will not see what goes on behind the scenes by PM.

There is a culture across all internet forums of not offering advice or criticism as to do so is seen by some as an ego trip by the poster. This came to the fore recently on the Facebook GAvA forum. Yet if all we want (in public) is praise; it will be a lonely place.

gollum
04-02-2017, 07:39 PM
If something is really good I will say so

If there is something that I think is wrong or could be easily improved I will say so

I won't ever leave a damming or sarcastic comment on something that I feel is past hope, I don't think slamming someone who has at least tried to the very best of their ability is very helpful in the slightest, we were all rubbish once ;)

When I post something I don't seek adoration, I want truthful comments ... Good and Bad, a fresh pair of eye's is like a breath of fresh air

People nowadays are really lucky that they can communicate with others who can paint or draw, for the first 30 odd years of my painting experience I did not ever know another person who could paint & so never had honest comments or learned help or advice from a fellow artist... the comments made by friends and family will always give you the thumbs up on anything you produce .... a bias opinion in your favour doesn't help you learn one single thing

If you only seek praise this is not the place, if you want honest help and assistance then here is where you should be :)

And as for people *only* posting their work and *never* making comments on others work .... if their work is fantastic then I want to see it ... you still learn loads by just looking at great piece work :thumbsup:

shadwell
04-03-2017, 12:01 AM
there is being constructive and giving valued advice in a friendly manner which most who have given advice here have done .....but then others can be downright rude .... at that point I couldn't care less how talented they are they have lost all respect ...I watched last week a talented artist post comment on a guys work that at best could be called acidic , I chat to the guy who he commented on and he is a poor guy that is ill and working with minimal poor quality materials ,, some make excuses for behaviour ,, I don't they were usually like that before and will continue to be the same...

but never stop posting , I don't comment like I used to but I don't get the same time I used to due to work commitments etc

Chas McHugh
04-03-2017, 03:32 AM
Len (Gollum) has summed up the politics very well.

Being Devils Advocate; if the composition of this work had an issue, the first image shown on the thread demonstrates that the work is too far advanced to do anything about it. Therefore there is no point whatsoever in making any comment. "You should have ..." does nothing beyond undermine confidence.

The gentleman to which Shadwell refers is effectively on the starting blocks of his aviation art career. But there is so much more to effective art than copying a nice photograph. Advice is far more accessible as Len has alluded to, but to present a drawing to the GAvA forum at his stage and ability, without requesting guidance, was emotional suicide and his ego was going to take a hit. Some have the strength of character to dust themselves down and man up - not everyone can. That one of our cadre is often too abrupt, does not make him nasty, it does mean he has no tact. If he were to refrain from comments, then learning across the board would suffer, as so few 'experts' are willing to make comment at all.

You can be sure that there are 'lurkers' gracing these pages lacking the confidence to present their own works. That is disappointing but understandable. (if you are one such person; we do not bite)

We are a small group and not easy to find through the Wetcanvas portal. In fact new blood is invariably brought here by our own. Familiarity breeds contempt, and we know intuitively at what standards each of us are at, but more importantly what standards we are comfortable with, and the timeline we are prepared to donate to our works. If an Artists needs are satisfied with an hours sketching or an afternoons watercolour, then he/she needs little comment until such time as an exceptional work (or a real cock-up) is pulled out of the bag. Though the same artist will be very aware of when things have gone awry.

For me personally, digital work is a mystery that appears to sit in two camps. Those who genuinely create artwork that is new imaging never seen before; and those who are handy at manipulating photographs in photoshop or colourising B&W photos and describing it as original 'art'. Therefore the genre leaves me both in awe and distaste in equal measures. In both cases, I am in no position to offer any advice beyond errors in composition or commentating on quality.

You cannot really criticise any artwork unless you can support your comment with corrective solutions or alternative considerations. To limit your contribution to final works alone is not indicative of one who seeks advice from their peers.

shadwell
04-03-2017, 04:21 AM
I'm not of course saying his advice isn't well founded and not appreciated as it is ,, but his approach needs to be thought about before hitting the keyboard ..... yes the guys work was very basic ,,, but as I said before the best way to give critique is 1 say something you like about the work .....2 fit in what you actually wanted to critique..3 finish with a positive............his attitude doesn't get fans or minions it just means far from wanting to listen to him ,, I'm buying art equipment for the indian guy and sending it over ... you get your impression over for life in the first few seconds and his is **** off

shadwell
04-03-2017, 04:29 AM
there's only really one digital work I've nearly bought and that was one displayed at MAVAS it was of the A1 lightning in the sun with a paynes grey sky and a reflection of it in a puddle during its service life , very nice piece

Trumper
04-03-2017, 08:08 AM
I have no idea who the people involved in Chas's and Shadwells posts are .The person i meant posts on here a few times a year very very talented but never comments or advises others.It just seems more of a one way street ,maybe even soft advertising ,but i am happy to see the work.
I do not consider myself an artist ,blimey i only pick up a paint brush every month or so at times but i do take photos and can generally spot if something isn't quite a happy composition and i am also happy to accept practical advice,i may never have the talent to be able to put it into practice but it is always appreciated. :)

shadwell
04-03-2017, 09:48 AM
I've observed critique given to both chas and another guy in what can only be described as rude and offensive ,, which is a pity as he is a very talented artist ..... but the matter really being discussed is why I mentioned it , there are ways of putting critique across the correct way gets you respected by most and from there it can be taken on-board like some valued critique to me from chas today ,,,, do it in the wrong manner and no matter how good you are a big percentage will think ,, who's this drongo !

RegisR
04-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Don, even if you don't get comments on your work, it is good that you are sharing it. I'm a mid-level artist, not great, but not bad either and admittedly, some of my work has been 'so-so'. Worthy of looking at and being appreciated, but not 'wowing' anybody either.

So I have to be honest with myself. There are four posts in my new thread, not a single response, but many views and I was ok, with that, because at least I got to share my experience, with others on the forum.

Regarding critiques, I do try to apply it, as if I was face to face with the artist, because we all have a personal stake in our work and it's not easy, coming from either direction. It should be at a civil level and conducive to being constructive or at least ascertaining the reality or circumstances of a particular piece (like no chocks on a very large F-86 painting that I did, a little while back).

We enjoy your company and commentary here and I personally, hope you stay.

shadwell
04-03-2017, 04:10 PM
what I like about this forum is that it has all skill levels and everyone in the main get along well '' last thing anyone needs is people stopping posting ( unless death or alien abduction stops you ) no comments isn't always a bad thing it just means no one found it outstanding but at the same time didn't think it was bad enough to criticise . someone said once that they were stopping posting because it was unfair to the beginners..... yet we also need good artists to post to inspire beginners .. this whole forum is a fantastic resource but like anything you only get out what you put in

gebhm
04-03-2017, 05:27 PM
I honestly feel lucky to know which end of the brush to hold onto. My work in no way compares to what I see here. However I have, and will continue to post here. The comments are always helpful especially from Chas. I do not expect a lot of comments but value the ones I get. That fact that no one comments may just be that they don't have something to say about it. If I have no suggestion I don't comment.

Trumper
04-04-2017, 10:36 AM
this will be my last post on this site as I feel I am wasting my time and yours. If you wish to see future art I do you can see it on my Facebook page facebook.com/ArtStudioOfDonWilkie. Thanks for those who did comment and give guidance on my paintings. Don

I am puzzled as to why this feeling,it is a small forum ,maybe 20 people posting and sometimes it is quiet.A Lot of people don't do facebook .It really only takes less than 5 mins to put a post with a photo on it that is then seen all around the world.Look at the work you got through exhibitions and giving links to another artist to do work for a customer.
Just a shame really :(

faminz
04-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Putting al that aside, I really like your mans face Don. Who is he? Keith skilling?

Gray539
04-04-2017, 06:50 PM
I hope you stay, Don. Forums like this are few and far between now. Facebook is not the best of places for feedback in my opinion. Most will just hit the like button and leave no comment. Even though I'm just an old digital hacker I do enjoy seeing others work in both traditional or digital. I don't get around the sites much at the moment, being very busy with other endeavors, as I'm sure others are, but please don't think we're not interested in seeing your work.

NeilF92
04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Shame to see you pull out Don .