PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble April 2017- Join in to chat!

*Deirdre*
04-01-2017, 06:43 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.:wave:

CM Neidhofer
04-01-2017, 08:54 AM
I was getting to this! But thanks for posting.

robertsloan2
04-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Purr! Thanks to you both! I'm excited about doing more SCA stuff, after the week long Gulf Wars I'm seriously ready to do more of the art and the crafts. Looking at making some new medieval garb too and starting to get the things I will want to have before next Gulf Wars. A tent large enough to stand up in will be a good start.

DBfarmgirl
04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Hello everyone
Yes I've been gone a while.
I've been trying to keep up, just haven't posted.

Robert- it sounds like you have been having a lot of fun. Camping with a great group is awesome. Add art and great costumes, even better.

My son leaving home for the navy was a major adjustment for both me and my husband, still getting used to him not being here. Thank God for cell phones and email. He's somewhere in Norway, Germany Ireland? right now. Not sure where...

I was just getting over that shock when I found out the reason I was having trouble painting and reading was cataracts caused by eye surgury I had 3 years ago. I'm seeing 4 of everything, sort of like things being rubber stamped too many times. I think it was going on for over a year before I was diagnosed, they are the ones in the back of the lens, not the foggy, yellowing ones. Surgury is scheduled for the 11th and 27th. Can't wait. I have only done a couple watercolor paintings in the last couple months as I can't focus further than 6 inches away and didn't want to breathe that much pastel dust. I did a couple the last week's just to see how they look after.... wondering if my round vase is really round...

We had another big loss. My 120 pound yellow lab is gone. I spent more time with him than any other being ever. He was12.5 years, had bone cancer. Don't think I will ever get over his loss. He was a better person than I could hope to be. I spent 24 hours a day almost every day for the last 10 years with him.

So my husband found puppys. The father is so much like my late Otis. One of these 3 boys will be coming home on may 5th. We get to pick in a couple weeks. Not sure I'm ready, but everyone else is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2017/215035-Puppys_week3.jpg

*Deirdre*
04-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I was getting to this! But thanks for posting.
You're welcome Chris....I should have added April Fool....but I'm no different any other month on the 1st!:lol:

Sharen...so sorry to hear about Otis...we last Saffey our yellow lab last May after 14and a half years approx... Like you we were devastated...I eventually got around to asking John Palmer...WC member to do a portrait of her...and he did such a great job...and lives near me.

I know he won't mind me showing you my girl with her favourite toy, pink bunny.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2017/33616-saffypink_bunny_portrait.jpg
We aren't having another dog as we can no longer walk far enough to keep it happy....but we have two cats now...and they have us well trained!:wink2:

DBfarmgirl
04-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Deirdre what a lovely portrait. 14.5 years is great, she looks like a real sweety. I was hoping I'd have my Otis that long. They do need a lot of exercise, especially as Pups. I'm glad I can still take Charlie hiking, he makes me go even on lazy days. Having a lot of room here makes it easier. I like cats, but I'm so allergic. we will have to switch to a smaller lazier dog in a few years. My husband said no more 120 pound labs, he had to carry him. I doubt we could find one like him again if we looked, he was really oversized.

Otis was slowing down a little, but seemed pretty good for a big dog. He broke his leg just walking, I was hoping for stress fracture. they were going to try and fix it even though it was in an awful spot, but the test showed cancer. The passing of a wonderful loving being. I am grateful he shared his life with us.

This is him, young and in his prime. Then, 130 pounds of teddy bear, I could not have asked for a better companion.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2017/215035-otis.jpg

*Deirdre*
04-03-2017, 07:21 AM
I can see Otis was lovely too, such a kind face...it will take time, but you have some great memories as I do...and they are still in our hearts....as is the case for most animal lovers no matter what flavour!
But, of course, Labs are best!!:evil: :lol:

PeggyB
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm so sorry for your losses Sharen and Deidre. It is never easy loosing a furry companion. You were both fortunate to have them in your lives for as long as you did, but honestly, it is never long enough. I've had golden retrievers my entire life; since the age of 2 years. Our present boy, Sonny, will be 12 the end of this month. Although we aren't exactly spring chickens anymore either, I highly suspect there will be another one when he passes. Fortunately for us, our son, his wife, and 11 year old daughter live with us, and they too love dogs. We also have cats!

PeggyB
04-03-2017, 04:20 PM
PS - LOVE the portrait of Saffey!
Sharen I'd have trouble choosing just one of those puppies. I found it much easier to have the breeder choose the right puppy for our family the last time we got a puppy. That was Winny who unfortunately was run over about a year ago at only 6 years old; right in front of my husband! The driver didn't even stop. :( She was the sweetest, most loving dog you can imagine. When the breeder told me she chooses which puppies to place with each new home, I was a bit taken aback. Then it was explained to me who would know better the personality of the puppies than the breeder? We filled in a questionnaire about what we were looking for in the puppy, and what we didn't want in a puppy. She did a great job of matching pup to family. Now I think that is the way to go for the next one.

DBfarmgirl
04-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Deirdre, I always said, no one loves you as much as your lab. Lousy watch dogs, but oh well... can't have everything.

Peggy, Goldens are awesome, but after babysitting 2 longer haired dogs, and spending half my day picking burdock out of their fur after walks in the woods, I decided it would be easier on everyone to stick with short hair.

I can't imagine how awful it would be to lose a dog like you lost Winny. It's bad enough when they're old.

I had asked the breeder about helping to pick a puppy. She said she would. It makes sense, they have seen them from the beginning and know what to look for. The parents of those puppys have produced a service dog and a therapy dog from previous litters. Just what I want, calm, trainable and socially comfortable. I can handle "needs room to run" easier than shy and frightened.

Otis was picked for us, never met the litter, just an older sibling. Charlie should have been called Billy Maze, he was such a salesman. He claimed us. I'm hoping it's obvious which one to pick, they are all so adorable.

*Deirdre*
04-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Saffey chose us...just ambled over as if she knew where she was going...done deal!
Just let yourself be chosen Sharen....they know where they should be!
Thanks re portrait Peggy...John Palmer did a super job! So pleased with it....:clap:

Irishwhistler
04-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Aye Mates,
So sorry to hear of ye losses of OTIS and SAFFEY, never easy, like family, and always deeply missed.

Sending on a photo o' me own Labrador HR TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH, call name "TRAD". TRAD is a 3.5 year old male black British Labrador out of Champion British Field Performance bloodlines. I compete with TRAD in both AKC and HRC Hunt Test events and he will be campaigned at the MASTER HUNTER and HUNTING RETRIEVER CHAMPION levels this year toward attaining those titles.

TRAD is an awesome companion dog and he goes nearly everywhere with me.

TRAD was used to stud a British yellow female TTF BIRCH BRANCH MAGGIE this winter and Maggie is expecting pups toward the end of April. We have seen four pups on the ultrasound and there is a possibility there are more. This is a first breeding for MAGGIE. We should have some awesome pups on the way, any produced have been under reserve for almost two years when the breeding was initially planned. Full health clearances on both sire and dam have been certified.

Captured this image o' TRAD with me camera last Saturday during some real nasty New England weather. I didn't see the rainbow in the upper right corner o' me viewfinder as I took the shot. A lucky grab.

Cheers,
Mike

"RAINBOW RETRIEVER"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2017/1979094-P1030170Resized.jpeg

*Deirdre*
04-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Mike...Saffey's KC name was Ladywell Snowdrop...Field and show pedigrees 5 generations...but she didn't know any of that...she just thought she was put on this earth to greet everyone! Which she did religiously... fulfilling her role with gusto!
Trad looks great...such a stud!:) Maggie's done well!

Irishwhistler
04-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Deidre,
many thanks for ye kind words on TRAD. No worries with SAFFEY, apparently a social butterfly as most Labs are known to be. I am certain she mad many happy with her greeting skills and wiggle wagging whilst doing so. I am certain ye miss her greatly as a grand human companion would. It sounds like she lived a grand Lab radar life under ye care.:thumbsup:

Here's a look o' me lad TRAD at work whilst afield.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2017/1979094-P1020273ResizedResized.JPEG

Cheers,
Mike

PeggyB
04-11-2017, 03:19 AM
Mike Trad is a very handsome fellow indeed. I was happy to read you seem to be a responsible breeder having made certain all health clearances are in place. Nothing makes me sadder than knowing dogs that have been bred for profit rather than health and temperament. I hope to see some puppy pictures come the end of April and beyond.

PeggyB
04-11-2017, 03:30 AM
Peggy, Goldens are awesome, but after babysitting 2 longer haired dogs, and spending half my day picking burdock out of their fur after walks in the woods, I decided it would be easier on everyone to stick with short hair.

I can't imagine how awful it would be to lose a dog like you lost Winny. It's bad enough when they're old.

I had asked the breeder about helping to pick a puppy. She said she would. It makes sense, they have seen them from the beginning and know what to look for. The parents of those puppys have produced a service dog and a therapy dog from previous litters. Just what I want, calm, trainable and socially comfortable. I can handle "needs room to run" easier than shy and frightened.

Otis was picked for us, never met the litter, just an older sibling. Charlie should have been called Billy Maze, he was such a salesman. He claimed us. I'm hoping it's obvious which one to pick, they are all so adorable.

Oh I know all about fur! Winny was the most furry of any golden I've ever had; she was bred to be a beauty queen. She had a "twin" sister, and the breeder knew she was keeping one of them. At the last minute she almost kept Winny, but handed her to me instead saying, "You know you have a show quality puppy, don't you." I did know, and just said, "Yes, but she will live the life of a well loved pet instead." The breeder was happy with that answer. All of my other goldens didn't/don't have excessively heavy undercoats. I find it easier to brush them ocassionally than it is to vacuum up short hairs that don't want to come out of the carpet. I think all animals have a plus or minus in the fur department, and in the end it really doesn't matter. We each choose what we are willing to deal with, and give them a loving home in return for unending loyalty and companionship. Retrievers in general are very people oriented dogs.

DBfarmgirl
04-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Mike - TRAD is handsome, a dog who loves his work. I was always grateful OTIS didn't go to a duck hunter, he would have been miserable. He hated squishy mud between his toes, gun shot and never retrieved a thing in his life. My husband called him a gravity predictor, loved to nap in the yard.

Peggy - yes, hair everywhere. No escape.

Well I had my first cataract surgury. I have never seen this well in my life, even before I was older. I need reading glasses closer than 2 feet, but everything else is crystal clear. I'm having trouble close up now with only one eye done, but only 2 weeks until that is fixed. I thought my left eye was OK until I saw clearly from my right eye, I guess I realized now how much I was compensating. I was really surprised to find my old lens had been yellowing, with the type of cataracts have, I didn't expect that. I am blown away. they said it would take some time before it settles in, and it's already 20/30. Just not seeing 4 of everything is a relief.

I went out in the pasture, just sat and looked across the river to the hill opposite, and took in all the trees budding and the great color. Can't wait until the 27th. Easy surgury, quick recovery, amazing results.

CM Neidhofer
04-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Mike - TRAD is handsome, a dog who loves his work. I was always grateful OTIS didn't go to a duck hunter, he would have been miserable. He hated squishy mud between his toes, gun shot and never retrieved a thing in his life. My husband called him a gravity predictor, loved to nap in the yard.

Peggy - yes, hair everywhere. No escape.

Well I had my first cataract surgury. I have never seen this well in my life, even before I was older. I need reading glasses closer than 2 feet, but everything else is crystal clear. I'm having trouble close up now with only one eye done, but only 2 weeks until that is fixed. I thought my left eye was OK until I saw clearly from my right eye, I guess I realized now how much I was compensating. I was really surprised to find my old lens had been yellowing, with the type of cataracts have, I didn't expect that. I am blown away. they said it would take some time before it settles in, and it's already 20/30. Just not seeing 4 of everything is a relief.

I went out in the pasture, just sat and looked across the river to the hill opposite, and took in all the trees budding and the great color. Can't wait until the 27th. Easy surgury, quick recovery, amazing results.

Isn't it just wonderful! I never realized just how bad my sight was until I had the surgeries. Just before having them done, I couldn't tell navy blue from black any more. I would walk outside and say...Gee, it's hazy out today! Others would say...no it's NOT!! My question for you is....are you having a hard time walking straight? I seemed to gravitate toward the good eye and seemed like I was always staggering for those two weeks until the second surgery! Glad it went well for you. It's just amazing!

DBfarmgirl
04-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Christine- I couldn't tell navy from black either, will have to see if that has changed too. Amazing is an understatement. I don't think I am walking crooked, but I do keep missing when I reach for things, there used to be 4 different images to pick from, I guess I had learned to compensate. It's odd now talking to people, they used to have a 4 sets of lips, on their right cheek along with two on either side of the real ones, now I'm not nearly so distracted. It used to take me a couple minutes to read the clock correctly. I'm not having issues with the glare because my lens was still mostly clear, just slightly yellowed, not even so yellow that "normal" people would notice. I am having a devil of a time trying to work close up. Once the second one is done, I'll figure out what kind of reading glasses I need.

My left is not nearly as bad as my right was, I can't believe how bad my "good" eye is. Only 12 days until the next surgury. Yes, I'm counting.....

*Deirdre*
04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear you're both improving...what a joy it must be to get your sight back!:clap:

AnnieA
04-23-2017, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone! I doubt anyone remembers me after all the time that's passed since I posted in the SP forum. FYI, I'm selling my old unused SP stuff (dust allergies!) and have posted the books and magazines first (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21085927#post21085927) in the swap shop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2017/85002-Whole_Shebang_-_almost_RESIZE.jpg

*Deirdre*
04-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Hi Annie...you may only advertise in the swap shop....so I will have to remove your advert text. I'm sure that you will get many takers without advertising anyway!
Sorry about your allergy...that's cruel for a pastellist!

Shallbe
04-27-2017, 11:33 PM
Can I make a request for a spotlight?

I'd like to learn some helpful tips for painting leaves. Close up leaves, far away leaves, different types of leaves.

Maybe foliage is the correct term.

I'm painting more flowers these days (never thought I'd be brave enough). But the leaves are sort of an afterthought and I'm not satisfied with them.

Thanks

shallbe

CM Neidhofer
04-28-2017, 12:43 AM
Can I make a request for a spotlight?

I'd like to learn some helpful tips for painting leaves. Close up leaves, far away leaves, different types of leaves.

Maybe foliage is the correct term.

I'm painting more flowers these days (never thought I'd be brave enough). But the leaves are sort of an afterthought and I'm not satisfied with them.

Thanks

shallbe

I would suggest that this request would be seen quicker if you just posted it under Pastel Talk. Maybe? Unless it's already been seen by someone other than myself!

Shallbe
04-28-2017, 09:22 AM
I dislike making new threads if there is a heading under which to post--maybe from my experiences in other forums in the past where this was encouraged. Still...I shall take your advice!

shallbe

*Deirdre*
04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
I dislike making new threads if there is a heading under which to post--maybe from my experiences in other forums in the past where this was encouraged. Still...I shall take your advice!

shallbe
No need I have already asked Don for you! However, next time...try the request in the Spotlight thread...he won't mind suggestions for new topics!

CM Neidhofer
04-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Alrighty then. My bad!

*Deirdre*
04-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Alrighty then. My bad!
No problem Chris...we don't mind extra threads!:evil: :lol: :wave:

Shallbe
04-28-2017, 06:36 PM
I didn't want to ask in the Spotlight because I didn't want to derail the topic. But now that I have permission, I shall certainly do so in the future!

shallbe

*Deirdre*
05-01-2017, 04:27 AM
Monthly Scumble May (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426794)