PDA

View Full Version : Play of Light

Frances Obie
03-31-2017, 10:46 AM
This is another Georgia Strait scene. Summertime. (I believe Peggy is longing for this kind of weather.) The intense approaching sunlight http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2017/93782-IMG_20170330_080418.jpg created unreal patterns and shapes on the water. I wanted to see if the composition stood up although I was working with minimal land forms. 12" x 24" on gessoed and pumiced hardboard. C & C's welcome

Irishwhistler
03-31-2017, 11:17 AM
This is another Georgia Strait scene. Summertime. (I believe Peggy is longing for this kind of weather.) The intense approaching sunlight http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2017/93782-IMG_20170330_080418.jpg created unreal patterns and shapes on the water. I wanted to see if the composition stood up although I was working with minimal land forms. 12" x 24" on gessoed and pumiced hardboard. C & C's welcome

A beautiful composition Frances. I love ye treatment o' the water.:thumbsup:

Mike☘️

PeggyB
03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Yes! To the sunshine and your lovely painting. It also makes me want to be on a cruise ship where I can see the water so well, and all the various colors reflected upon it. Alas, the cruise will have to wait for another year; we spent cruise money on home remodeling. However, today I awoke to robins singing, and beautiful blue sky! I don't know if the temperature will reach 60 F, but the prediction is for at least 58. We will break a 15 year record if it doesn't reach 60. The record being this will be the first time in 15 years that we don't have at least one day of 60 degrees or higher in the first three months of the year.

Perry
03-31-2017, 02:39 PM
Another great seascape. I like those little pieces of orange in there.

Donna T
03-31-2017, 05:18 PM
You are on a roll, Frances! This is gorgeous! I love the composition and your use of those rich blues. The orange accents are just perfect!

Katiepea
03-31-2017, 07:08 PM
Beautiful! You make me long for the beach.

Frances Obie
03-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Thanks Mike. I appreciate the comment.
Thanks Peggy, I'm glad you are seeing blue sky again. The coast can be so dreary when the sun doesn't shine. I hope temperatures improve soon for you.
Thank you Perry. I'm glad you like the orange highlights. Its nice that sunlight comes in a wide range of colors.
Thank you Donna! I'm glad you like the composition and the colors. I don't know if I'm on a roll- I have to get back to some local landscapes soon.
Thank you Kate. I'm longing for the beach too!

Divasin
04-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Francis, We are all longing for those beautiful days...this could be My Presquile Beach...universal appeal ...beautifully done!

madijen
04-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Love it. Looks like you are right there.

Karen

Charles Perera
04-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Peggy a cruise ship would have spoilt this calm beatiful seemingly silent waters of the sea so well captured by the artist. When I see a scene like this of a sea I wish the sea remains such every where unspoilt by cruise ships,or oil leaking trawlers.......

Charles

Frances Obie
04-01-2017, 02:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2017/93782-IMG_20170401_111653.jpg Thank you Leslie, Karen and Charles. Unfortunately this area is not unspoiled. Vancouver is a major shipping port...But we can imagine what it used to be like.
I received some suggestions which made me realize the picture was not quite finished. I lightened the peninsula to hopefully push it back some and added more light to the sky and water.

PeggyB
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Peggy a cruise ship would have spoilt this calm beatiful seemingly silent waters of the sea so well captured by the artist. When I see a scene like this of a sea I wish the sea remains such every where unspoilt by cruise ships,or oil leaking trawlers.......

Charles

Charles I understand your sentiments. However, I have plenty of photographs I've taken from the cruise ships I've been on that don't spoil the water in the manner you suggest. Many look much like this painting. I've also sat on the deck of said ships, and painted the passing scene.

I'll make a new post of one I did some time ago that will illustrate calm water from the deck of a cruise ship.

spydersmomtammy
04-04-2017, 07:57 PM
This is gorgeous Frances!