PDA

View Full Version : Uart Paper Question

Lucyloo123
03-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Hi, I have been using mostly colorfix paper and have also tried pastel premier. Can anyone compare uart 400 or 800 to these papers for me. Which do you recommend between the 400 or 800?
Thanks for your help.

Lucyloo123
03-26-2017, 06:17 PM
I don't know how I got a duplicate post.
Moderator, can you please delete one.

westcoast_Mike
03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
Go with the 400. The 800 has very little tooth compared to what you have been using.

Donna T
03-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Is there somewhere to buy a sampler of the various UArt grits? I haven't tried Pastel Premier yet but think the Colourfix is somewhere between the 400 and 500. I'm using the 500 now and like it a lot. It's not so gritty that it wears down your pastels too quickly but it has enough tooth for several layers. It's all about personal preference so it would be great if you could try them out.

contumacious
03-27-2017, 04:06 PM
I have used UArt (all grits), Pastel Premier Medium, Kitty Wallis and Fisher 400.

In similar grit sizes they are all very close in working nature. I lean towards the 320 to 400 grit sizes. 800 grit is significantly smoother than 400. Too smooth for my style but I could see using pastel pencils on it maybe.

The most evenly applied grit surface out of all the batches I have tried would be the Fisher 400. I liked working on it but wish they had a 320 grit also.

Some of the papers above can take quite a bit of alcohol in your under paintings, some cannot. I would have to look at my notes to see which ones.

Lucyloo123
03-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone. Where I am getting the paper only has 400 or 800 grit.

We are poorly supplied with pastel papers here at least anywhere nearby. I don't even think you can by pastelmat in Ontario.

contumacious
03-28-2017, 01:36 AM
If the 800 is too fine and the 400 is too coarse once you have tried them both you can reduce the tooth of the 400 by rubbing it with a piece of regular sandpaper of the same grit or a slightly finer grit or a small piece of the same 400 grit pastel paper. Don't use too much pressure, just rub it evenly all over until the tooth is the way you like it. Test on small pieces with pastels as you change the grit and use your bare index fingertip to sense how it feels once you have reached the tooth you like then try to duplicate that feel on the other sheets.

Though I don't think you will need to reduce the tooth of the 400 once you get used to it. It is a good all around grit for hard, medium and soft pastels from my experience.

Dougwas
03-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Kings Framing in Corbiel, Ontario has Uart paper in a variety of sizes and grits. I believe they have free shipping on orders over $75. I see they are out of stock in some sizes, but you could ask when they will be getting more. They have very good prices in Canadian funds. I live in BC and can't buy Uart here. I have bought it at Dakota Pastels in the past, but the exchange and delivery costs were killing me. Kings prices on Uart are very good when you factor in these costs. They also carry Pastelmat and Colourfix.

https://kingsframingandartgallery.com/uart-premium-pastel-paper

https://kingsframingandartgallery.com/clairefontaine-pastelmats

https://kingsframingandartgallery.com/art-spectrum-colourfix-coated-pastel-paper-sheets

I don't know if you know about Kings Framing or not, but thought I would share the info for other Canadians as well, who might be looking for a Canadian source for pastel paper.

Doug

Lucyloo123
03-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Thanks very much for the info Doug. They are over 4 hours away but can have items shipped as you mentioned. They seem to have a good variety.

robertsloan2
03-31-2017, 10:27 PM
Try a sampler of Uart, pieces in all the different grits. 800 is very good for doing fine detail work with pastel pencils or something like that. The grain is very fine and it won't take as much layering. 400 is coarser than Colourfix by a fair amount. You could go in between with a 500 or 600 to get closer to what you know, but Colourfix has another texture difference.

Grit is suspended in an acrylic gesso in Colourfix, so the grits are slightly rounded and softened. It's a nice texture and washes off completely if you want, with a damp cloth. Uart is more like actual sandpaper, the grit particles are sharp-edged and stuck on with glue under them but not over them. So it will feel coarser and abrade your fingers more. 320 or coarser like 280 will approximate legendary Wallis pastel paper, which can remove your fingerprints and take pretty much unlimited layering.

So blending on Uart is more like blending on Wallis, use a chamois or blender, unless it's that very fine 800 which isn't too bad but still grittier than the Colourfix.

Pastel Premier comes in three grits so I'd have to know which to compare to what, I think their Extra Fine (the very finest grit) is pretty close to the 800.

If you can do it, contact an online art supply company that carries all the grits and ask for samples. They may not be very large but even quite small ones would give a good idea of what each of them is like. They each have different effects and results with different pastels.

I like variety so I wound up ordering a large sheet of each and have been cutting those down. Uart handles a water wash very well, but I've heard alcohol wash can soften the glue and reduce the grittiness.