PDA

View Full Version : King of the Cliff

Marilyn Ann
03-25-2017, 06:08 PM
I have found both Kalamunda Quarry and Boulders of special interest because I have been working on a similar concept.

Here I have a tree struggling to maintain the top of massive cliff.

Comments and critique always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2017/1985962-IMG_7085_cropped_800.jpg

water girl
03-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Marilyn Ann, this does follow along with the theme started by Perry and pugwash. Your abstract forms are wonderful. The lone tree surviving in isolation is apparent and makes you wonder how that happened. Since you asked, I have one minor suggestion to consider. What if you darkened the value of the shape in the lower right hand corner? Because it is much lighter than the rest of the magnificent cliffs, it is drawing my attention downward, rather than up to the top of the cliff. Keep in mind that it is just a suggestion, and it is fine as is. Never change your painting until you have given it a lot of thought.

Marilyn Ann
03-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Good suggestion Watergirl. Thanks you.

~JMW~
03-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Oh, I was looking for a mountain goat or some sort of animal...
If you make the change mentioned previously, maybe also give the tree more impact, with more color, or a stronger shape , or more contrast, so we know it is the King of the cliff..
If you define a sunlight/shadow direction, you can ad some really nice shadows in some of the crevices..and under the tree..

Donna T
03-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Your watercolor washes are a beautiful base for your cliffs! I can see emphasizing the shadow shapes a bit more to show off the depth of those rock layers. You already have a nice zigzag shadow pattern started at the base of the cliff - maybe just extend it to the top? It's just a suggestion - you decide what it needs or doesn't!

Perry
03-26-2017, 10:44 PM
You have some nice things happening on that
cliff, warm colors and a variety of shapes.
I think it's coming together well.

Marilyn Ann
03-28-2017, 06:33 PM
I do thank you all for the constructive ideas you take time to offer. I am anxious to make some changes and have been taking a closer look at the painting. Hope to post something soon.

stapeliad
03-29-2017, 02:22 PM
You were very successful with this goal of tall cliffs!
that tree is ruling the world.

Great concept and execution!