PDA

View Full Version : daffodils, willow and vases

vhere
03-25-2017, 04:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2017/53888-me_still_life_lsc_day.jpg

an almost finished piece but it was 2 hours of concentrated sketching this afternoon with a group I belong to. Not a subject I normally do as formal still life set ups aren't what interest me. So, done as practice, for observation - which went a little haywire on that front grey vase! it seems to have a bad case of mumps. I'll look at it again and see what I can fix another day.

Pastel and about 15 inches square

I didn't set it up and would have spaced things a little more and had fewer objects, there were even more vases and things crowded in - this missed out lots more objects :rolleyes: They were nice colours and textures to work with though

hmmm interesting - the name of the willow flowers is also used in another way that would be screened - it's what they are called here though! it just came up as asterisks so I've deleted it (puss y willow - maybe as they look soft and fuzzy like kittens paws? I don't know the origin of the name)

wcartistart
03-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I don't know what else you would do to this painting. I like it!

Art

vhere
03-25-2017, 05:24 PM
thank you :)

sort out the vase at the front and make it symmetrical - it is really annoying me!

and bring some of the purple of the paper through a bit more on the left, where some of the mauves are. I should have kept it but covered it all :( so now I have to use a dull purple pastel to try to bring some back

and sort out the light on the fabric folds to the left of the vase of daffs

and ......

vhere
03-25-2017, 09:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2017/53888-me_still_life_lsc_day_finished_maybe.jpg

nearly there

Donna T
03-26-2017, 09:22 AM
This is really nice! I like the rustic quality of the earthenware and we never expect handmade things to be perfectly symmetrical. I find it hard to get inspired by someone else's still life set-up too; I guess I like to create my own story with the objects.