PDA

View Full Version : Cara

Schuee
03-25-2017, 07:57 AM
I am new to using pastels and am enjoying using a different medium to watercolour. I made this portrait of my Romanian rescue, Cara. I did post it on the Animal & Wildlife forum, but as it's in pastel, I thought I would show it here.

Unfortunately, I used fixative on the Mi-Tientes Touch black coloured paper - it was an aberration, as I hadn't meant to - and the background is a little dappled.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2017/1989627-IMG_9671.JPG

water girl
03-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! You've captured a personality very nicely. I think she is saying thank you for giving me a great home.:) Yes, you have to be careful with that fixative. I don't use it on sanded paper. If you are concerned about the dust, take a finished painting outside, hold it by a corner and take your fingers to firmly flick against the backside of the paper. You'll actually be able to see the excess pastel fly off in to the air.

Schuee
03-25-2017, 01:25 PM
Thank you, Karen, for your welcome to me and Cara! I will remember your advice next time I use sanded paper! 😎

Nick7
03-25-2017, 05:44 PM
What a sweet little thing! :) Welcome to the forum!

Schuee
03-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Thank you. She is sweet. She's just started as a visitor to an Alzheimer's support group, where she mixes with the members and, hopefully, makes the club seem more like home.

Still-trying
04-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Wonderful work. She is a winner.

Katiepea
04-02-2017, 07:05 PM
She's adorable! I love the luminous expression in her eyes.

Schuee
04-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Thank you, Jay and Kate for your kind comments. She is a lovely dog!

PeggyB
04-03-2017, 03:09 PM
What brand of fixative did you use? They are not all created the same; some spot more than others. Sometimes I use them, and sometimes I don't. On surfaces that will accept liquid, I prefer SpectraFix; sprayed very lightly several times. When I use aerosol sprays such as Las Caux or Prismacolor I always be sure to clear the hose after each use by turning the can upside down and depressing the nozzle until no more spray comes out. Then I wipe the nozzle with a wet cloth to be sure no spray clogs the hole.
This is a lovely portrait of what sounds like an exceptional dog. You rescued her, now she is "rescuing" Alzheimer's patients. Many thanks to both of you.

Schuee
04-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Thank you, Peggy for your information and kind comments. It was a Windsor & Newton fixative. When I think about it, it didn't come out as a very fine spray and was "blotchy". If I do ever use it again, I will bear in mind what you say. We live and learn!

It is very rewarding to be able to give time and Cara's company to the group.

spydersmomtammy
04-05-2017, 08:57 AM
She's adorable, and you really captured her beautifully expressive personality!

Schuee
04-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Thank you, Tammy. 🐾🐾