PDA

View Full Version : Indian Ringneck parakeet in flight

Phranque
03-23-2017, 04:19 PM
My sister-in-law wanted me to paint this, including white background. I used black gesso, and layered on the white, leaving areas slightly grey so not to have it be really flat. the paint is also fairly textured. It was a challenge for me as I only use pure white in my mixes very rarely any more. It's big, too. 36" 48". Acrylic on gallery wrapped. The other challenge is to get a good photo. White being so prone to reflecting colour, and being sensitive to the slightest change in value of light. I tweaked the heck out of it in a photo program, and the bottom is still a little dark.

tuscanny
03-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Beautifully painted.

slaterza
03-24-2017, 08:15 AM
nicely done I'm sure she will love it.

KreativeK
03-24-2017, 09:37 AM
This bird is very impressive! Topnotch work! I like the bg too and your explanation of how you painted that.

lisapencil
03-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Beautiful work, the parakeet looks very angelic. I'm sure your sister in law will love it.:cat:

chammi kaiser
03-25-2017, 03:26 AM
Simply stunning work Phranque.

Triduana
03-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Lovely work, and huge! It must look really impressive at that size. I really like the composition and the transparency of the wing feathers. Lovely background too, I like how you used black gesso before the white paint to give it depth. It really worked too, looks better than I think a flat white background would.

fedetony
03-27-2017, 07:29 AM
lovely :)

Phranque
03-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks, everyone. :)

After using all that titanium white, I want to do painting of my white cat on a white background, without using any white paint at all. :)

tommie
03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Love this painting! Good luck with the cat!! You should look at Ali Cavanaughs art as she does paint white animals on white backgrounds and they are nice.

PamSav
03-30-2017, 04:44 PM
It looks stunning! Looking forward to seeing your cat.

Phranque
03-30-2017, 05:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2017/23403-An_unmade_bed_is_infinitely_more_interesting_than_one_that_is_made..JPG Love this painting! Good luck with the cat!! You should look at Ali Cavanaughs art as she does paint white animals on white backgrounds and they are nice.

She has lovely work. I didn't see any animals on her site, though.

The white cat I referred to is in this painting. I didn't use any white paint at all in it, and don't intend to in the other one I plan on doing of her on the white background.....other than unbleached titanium, which will have little bits of colour mixed in.

Vivien Maloney
03-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Beautiful painting of both the bird and cats. That's a large painting of the bird and looks to be rendered in a different style to what you usually paint in? I'd love to see it in real life - bet it's impressive!

Phranque
03-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks Vivien. Yes, it is a different style. Nancy wanted something specific that is different than my usual. The white background was part of that. Both of these are the same size. :)

bluemoonstar
03-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Would love to see this up close - the scale must make it seem like he's flying right at you! I like the way you handled the background.