PDA

View Full Version : Snow Shapes (x-post Landscapes)

Donna T
03-22-2017, 05:08 PM
These are the first things I've been able to paint since having surgery on my left hand and wrist this past November - and then another surgery last month to fix a problem from the first one. I'm a leftie, of course! I am inspired by the snow patterns on the distant fields that I see from my house. By cropping tiny parts of my photos I focused on the shapes, mood and atmosphere and gave myself permission to stray from reality a little bit. All are 10x10 with soft pastels.

Snow Shapes #1. This is on watercolor paper with gesso and pumice gel. I can't get a good photo of the soft, hazy pink sky and trying to adjust it throws everything else off!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2017/97763-SnowShapes1.jpg

Snow Shapes #2. UArt paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2017/97763-Snowshapes2.jpg

Snow Shapes #3 Watercolor paper with gesso and pumice gel. I had fun with this one by applying gesso with a brush and then crumpling plastic wrap and creating texture in the lower half before applying the pumice gel. It was always a surprise to see where tree trunks would appear.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2017/97763-SnowShapes3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

rugman
03-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Fantastic little collection here, Donna! #2 speaks to me the most, but I gravitate toward paintings with warmer color schemes. I like the texture in #3, I will have to try that just for fun on an upcoming painting. I enjoy the simplicity of the shapes. Thanks for sharing them for us to enjoy!

water girl
03-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Welcome back, Donna! I can tell by these paintings that you have recovered wonderfully. All three convey "cold", but in different ways. The shapes work well.

Perry
03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
These are all very nice Donna.
I get a sense of quiet and calm.
They are enjoyable to look at.
The first is my favorite, I like the simplicity and the atmosphere.

Lucyloo123
03-22-2017, 09:46 PM
These are beautiful but I think the third is my favourite.

Donna T
03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks Ron. If you need inspiration for playing with texture check out the article that Tom Christopher wrote in the Pastel Journal from February of this year. He explains how he drips acrylic paint in strategic areas then covers it with pumice to create the wonderful texture in his work.

Thank you Karen. I can't do too many minutes of painting with my left hand yet but I have become quite ambidextrous! Switching hands back and forth might help me loosen up!

Thanks Perry. Your work keeps reminding me that simple shapes are what I'm drawn to. I want to learn how to say more with less.

Thanks Lucyloo. I really had fun with the third one.

Divasin
03-23-2017, 08:21 AM
Beautiful subtle colours and shapes in all three.
The first one has an inner glow I find very appealing.
Love the info on surfaces as I STILL struggle with textured surfaces. Thanks!

Frances Obie
03-23-2017, 08:28 AM
I also like the simplified shapes in these. The first is my favorite but I like the rich color in the third. Interesting technique. I also use acyrilic with pumice gel but I haven't tried creating texture with it. These would all look great on a wall together.

DFGray
03-23-2017, 11:59 AM
good for you to be back at it, nice works

stapeliad
03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
my goodness you have been busy! i'm glad the surgery is in the past and you are back painting.
All of these are so lovely- a perfect balance of light and atmosphere. Your colors are just wonderful.

the second is my favorite but only because in general I'm smitten with pink light coming through greyish skies. :)

Donna T
03-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks so much, Leslie. I hope to be doing more experiments with textures and if they're not complete failures I'll share them here. Or even if they are. :)

Frances, I was a little worried that the first one was too simple so thank you for saying it appeals to you. I never know how simple is too simple or if others will relate to what I'm trying to convey.

Thanks Dan! It feels good to paint again.

Thanks very much, Jessica. I don't know what those kinds of clouds are really called but I call them blanket clouds and love the little peeks of light that escape at the bottom. Somehow those colors seem more special when there's only a small slice.

vhere
03-25-2017, 04:51 PM
lovely :)

Nick7
03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Oh, come on, Donna! I have just burnt my pancakes because of you!

I couldn't stop looking :D I love the third one, I am sure it will sell in no time :) The texture is fun! Although I am afraid the technique sounds too messy for me to be comfortable :D
The middle one reminds me of McKinley. I love the grass on the left and the small central bush.
In the first one I like the color of the distant forest.
I hope you recover soon, it's great to see you back!

Donna T
03-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks Vivien.

Thank you so much Nick and I'm very sorry about your pancakes! :lol: I hope it was a plain pancake and not a real loss like a blueberry or banana pecan version. You should try playing with gesso for texture; it's not much messier than pancake batter and there is less risk of burning!

jrsofty
06-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Those are wonderful. They have a very impressionistic feel to them. Normally I'm not a big fan of impressionistic paintings but those are just so nice. I love the distancing it is something I'm still trying to get down right in my own paintings.

Thank you for sharing these, they are inspiring.

artelahe
06-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Donna! I am a fan of all three. The first looks like break of day when everything is still quiet and dim. My favorite time of day. #2 draws me because your variegated foreground works so well with a peachy mid-range offset by your mid-dark foliage and the brilliant sky with its dark tones. I'm going to have to [attempt to] duplicate that for practice. You simply blow me away. The colors in #3 are rich and satisfying and I love how the light just catches the trees in the foreground.

huanghehe
06-27-2017, 05:43 PM
So pretty!!

Donna T
06-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Thanks very much jrsofty, Aly and huanghehe! It's a surprise to see this thread again now that the snow is gone. I appreciate all of your comments and it's really helpful to know why a painting appeals or doesn't appeal.

artelahe
06-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks very much jrsofty, Aly and huanghehe! It's a surprise to see this thread again now that the snow is gone. I appreciate all of your comments and it's really helpful to know why a painting appeals or doesn't appeal.

HA! Please note, not one poster found anything that doesn't appeal --Cuz you just that good, Donna!

kentiessen
07-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Beautiful work Donna! I like them all. So rich and gentle-

Donna T
07-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Hi Ken - thanks!

Richard Barrere
03-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Donna T
04-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks Richard. I hope to do more like these someday. They are a good way to force myself to simplify. Btw, I read that you have actually met Russell Chatham. His snow paintings are so inspirational to me!

ColorEnthusiast
04-02-2018, 12:16 PM
They are all wonderful and have subtle beautiful color mixes.

Esther

Donna T
04-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Thanks so much, Esther. I like how big patches of snow reflect the sky color and create a mood.

Rockport123
04-06-2018, 07:32 AM
OH Donna I LOVE these! You've captured the mood with subtle colors beautifully! they SING!!!!

michaeljarman
04-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Donna, I echo everyone else’s sentiments, these are so lovely! I feel the atmosphere and mood. 😊😊😊

Donna T
04-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Hi Marlene - thanks so much! Moody paintings that sing ... what more can we ask for?

Michael, thanks for looking and for such a nice comment.