PDA

View Full Version : Brookie

bobbymac
03-18-2017, 05:55 AM
Did this pastel painting a couple years ago for a trout fishing buddy of mine. C&C always welcome and appreciated. Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2017/1154176-brookie_800x600.jpg

Vivien Maloney
03-18-2017, 01:42 PM
A warm welcome to the Animal & Wildlife Forum! :wave:

Beautiul rendered pastel painting, and love the colors both on the Rainbow Trout and the rocks. Youve just given enough definition to the rocks to show they are under water but still havent taken the focus off your main subject, which of course, is the Trout.
I really like this painting and Im sure your friend would be delighted with it!

KreativeK
03-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Welcome Bob! Truly fantastic fish painting, and know your friend treasures it. Hope to see more from your brush.

She-She
03-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Nicely done! Drawing or painting a fish is something I've been wanting to try.

Schuee
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Beautiful portrait of a fish. Excellent surroundings. I like the colours.

tuscanny
03-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Love it!

bobbymac
03-19-2017, 05:27 AM
Vivien and Kay, thank you for the warm welcome! I also appreciate your kind comments.
Sheila: I found it not too difficult to paint the fish but the rocks and especially the water were a challenge. I've also painted a couple of aquarium fish.
Pen and Christel, thank you for your nice comments.

Ohiohawk97
03-19-2017, 09:05 AM
This is amazing! Love the variation in color with perfect shading making it come forward.....wonderful job.

Lucyloo123
03-19-2017, 08:33 PM
I think you did a fantastic job. It looks great.

bobbymac
03-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Thank you Wes and Lucyloo.
I was trying for two effects on the trout. One was to have the detail and color diminish as it fades back into the distance. I think that turned out ok. The second which was more difficult was to have splotches of sunlight (broken up by the surface of the water) across its back. Not sure that reads as it should.

fedetony
03-20-2017, 06:22 AM
Well achieved :)... the colors are great :)

chammi kaiser
03-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Great colours - excellent work. I am sure your friend is definitely going to treasure this for many years.

Triduana
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Wonderful painting. I like the setting and the openness of the background really suggests depth. I love the detail you have put into the scales, and the way the green colour is picked up in the rocks, it brings everything together really well. :thumbsup:

Equus Art
03-20-2017, 08:05 PM
So very well done, bobbymac. You have achieved the effects that you wanted to perfectly.

Cat

bobbymac
03-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Thank you Fedetony, Chammi, Kay and Cathy for your nice comments. Crits and comments from other artists are truly meaningful. It's not that I do not appreciate them from friends and family but they do not see the artwork as we do.

slaterza
03-24-2017, 08:34 AM
You have done a lovely job and I would like to comment since you asked for them. I think the colors are the fish are excellent I would say that the greatest variation and the lightest color on the fish is in the midsection of the fish making that your focal point. I would add some of that light to the face and tone back some on the midsection to bring the focal point forward to his face. I would also darken some of the highlights even more on the tail of the fish to push it back further and improve the depth even more. Lastly I would add a slight shadow behind that front fin to bring it away from the body of the fish. I say all of this just to give helpful ideas for future work and not to downplay this one it is a lovely job just some small hints to improve the next one.

bobbymac
03-26-2017, 05:21 AM
You have done a lovely job and I would like to comment since you asked for them. I think the colors are the fish are excellent I would say that the greatest variation and the lightest color on the fish is in the midsection of the fish making that your focal point. I would add some of that light to the face and tone back some on the midsection to bring the focal point forward to his face. I would also darken some of the highlights even more on the tail of the fish to push it back further and improve the depth even more. Lastly I would add a slight shadow behind that front fin to bring it away from the body of the fish. I say all of this just to give helpful ideas for future work and not to downplay this one it is a lovely job just some small hints to improve the next one.

All very good suggestions Sam. The suggestion of a shadow on the front fin would have really helped to make it stand away from the body. It's always great when fellow artist can help identify areas for improvement. Thank you.

jonc50
03-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Beautifully painted brook trout! The water is great also.

bobbymac
03-28-2017, 05:42 AM
Beautifully painted brook trout! The water is great also.
Thank you Jon.