PDA

View Full Version : Seeking permission to use pictures

Ashley Peck
03-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new here so apologies if I am not posting this in the best part of the forum but as my interests are mostly aviation, I thought this might be a good place to start.

I started painting fairly recently and was after some advice, not so much legal advice but more peoples opinions on derivative works.

For now, I am copying photographs and pictures I find online, just while I am getting comfortable with colours and learning the real basics of painting. Eventually, I would like to move away from this as it feels more like illustrations that art. But anyway, my pictures are very far away from the quality of the images I am working from and equally far away from where I would like to be with my work eventually but a few close family and friends have encouraged me to share pictures on social media.

What I wanted to ask was should I credit the original work when sharing my pictures? If so, would I then need to seek permission to do so? Is it unethical to not credit even when the pictures are only shared between a few people?

It may sound stupid, but I feel that seeking permission or crediting an original work would make it seem that I believe my pictures are of a similar quality to those I am working from which, in my mind, may offend the original artist / photographer.

How would you feel if you found that someone had used one of your pictures in such a way?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Yorky
03-17-2017, 08:03 AM
If you going to sell your work you should ask permission to use the image from the original photographer. I have done this on several occasions with no refusals.

Doug