PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania's Iron Pot Lighthouse and Pacific Gull

Greenhill
03-13-2017, 06:12 AM
It happens to be Australia's Queen's Birthday long weekend and I've just completed a new painting of The Iron Pot Lighthouse,
also known as the Derwent Lighthouse. It is Tasmania’s oldest lighthouse, and the second oldest in Australia.
The square tower was built in 1832 by convicts. The 11-metre (36 ft)-tall tower stands on an island
in Storm Bay at the mouth of the Derwent River. It has a range of 11 nautical miles (20 km; 13 mi).

Oil on canvas board 24" x 24" - The bird is a Pacific Gull (immature)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Iron_Pot_Tasmania.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/92124)
From my own reference photo/s

fedetony
03-13-2017, 06:39 AM
well done, the composition is great... :)

chammi kaiser
03-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Terrific brush strokes. What beautiful colours that immature Pacific Gull has.

KreativeK
03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Beautiful bird with such a dramatic landscape for a backdrop. Love this!

Vivien Maloney
03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Beautiful, dramatic painting Mark! Love all the movement.

Im sure Ive seen this Lighthouse in real life. My brother-in-law lives in Hobart and weve visited Tasmania several times over the years.

Greenhill
03-13-2017, 02:30 PM
FG, Chammi, Kay - Thanks to you each for commenting. :wave:

Vivien - Thanks for your comment. If you've seen the Iron Pot it is not something easily forgotten. As far as I know its design is unique.

This work was painted in three 7 hour sessions over the long weekend - for me that's greased lightning compared to most of my previous paintings. My aim was to paint more loosely with gusto. I think I achieved that with the backdrop and the sea, although I did go for detail on the lighthouse and bird because I wanted to picture those two elements faithfully.

Painted as always using only my own reference photos.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2017/1979671-P5311065xx.jpg

Equus Art
03-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Beautiful energy in your brushwork. I enjoy the bright colors you have chosen.

Cat

Greenhill
03-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Thanks Cat. Colour is important to me. The palette was quite simple really: Prussian green, Cadmium Green, Prussian blue, Cerulean Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium red, Burnt sienna, Cadmium yellow, Raw sienna, Titanium white.

Triduana
03-17-2017, 05:44 AM
I really enjoy looking at your paintings. This is wonderful, lots of movement in the water and the strkng colours add drama. The lighthouse stands out well against the blues and greens. The gull is fantastic, i love the strong colours!

jennaboo88
03-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Beautiful work, Mark! I always look forward to seeing your posts. :)

Greenhill
03-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I really enjoy looking at your paintings. This is wonderful, lots of movement in the water and the strkng colours add drama. The lighthouse stands out well against the blues and greens. The gull is fantastic, i love the strong colours!
Thanks, Kay :) Painting from one's own reference photos is both challenging and gratifying. To reconstruct the photographic experience and interpret it differently in a new medium is what I'm attempting to do. "Artist's Licence" confers freedom to change things around, ramp up the chroma and create all manner of improbable effects with a large degree of immunity from subjective critques ! :smug:

Greenhill
03-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Beautiful work, Mark! I always look forward to seeing your posts. :)
Thank you Jenna, and likewise I always look forward to your greatly appreciated feedback. :) :thumbsup:

She-She
03-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Beautifull painting!! My Mother was in Tasmania twice. (can't remember the years she went) She went over to see her pen pal. The first visit they toured all over the island, taking in most of the tourist sights. I'll have to ask her about this.

Greenhill
03-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks Sheila, hopefully one day you'll follow your mother's footsteps to Tasmania and meet up with your mom's pen pal. :thumbsup: