PDA

View Full Version : Wood sculptures storage

shalet
03-13-2017, 06:10 AM
Hi, my hubby is a sculptor. He is crazy about it and we have got a large collection of it in our home. We are planning to open a small shop and itís work is in progress. We donít have enough space for storing all his wood works conveniently and would like to get the help of any temporary storage solutions in Toronto, till the shop work is over. My friend suggested jiffy storage solutions, one of the leading storage units in Toronto (https://www.jiffystorage.com/). We have never been to such services and would like to get your tips on this. Will our sculptures be safe in such storage units? Thanks for your help.

SparrowHawk7
03-13-2017, 07:23 AM
I have no experience with storage facilities but it seems to me that the most important thing is environmental control - A/C or at least humidity control since you are dealing with a living thing. As for safety from theft or damage, see if they offer insurance to their clients. If not I would think renters insurance would be quite inexpensive to get on your own.

birdhs
03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
No matter which facility you choose make sure you have documentation in at least some kind of images. Take at least 3 clear photos of each piece, preferably with a yardstick in one of the photos to verify dimensions. Title each piece, create a Word Document listing the date of completion, artist's name, material, size, and suggested retail value. Any additional info such as metals or paints or finishes always is helpful. Keep a copy or two of this list, and make sure the storage place gets a copy that they sign off on.
Good safe storage places that are climate-controlled will cost more than unsafe places. Make sure they have working security cameras if possible.
keep loose dust covers to prevent surface damage.

Documentation of artwork is always important,,,,and you can show us all your nice pieces!!

shalet
03-13-2017, 11:21 PM
Thank you for the kind replies.