PDA

View Full Version : Bella The Grizzly xp Pastels

Equus Art
03-12-2017, 09:49 AM
This majestic bear is named Bella and she is two years old. She lives out in Montana at a Grizzly bear rescue organization that obtains and rehabilitates seized and injured bears. Bella was left to fend for herself at too young an age when her mother was shot and her body left to the buzzards.

A dear friend of mine is a wild life and equine photographer, who gives me free rein to paint from any of her photos. I chose Bella because her story touched me and am planning on donating this painting to the rescue to be auctioned off at their fund raiser this summer. And get to see Bella for real!

18" x 20" on MT Touch using Pan Pastels, Giraults, TLs and various pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2017/1182735-bella1.jpg

Cat

jennaboo88
03-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Cat, this is wonderful. Bella looks beautiful and intelligent. You've put so many rich colors into her hide, giving this piece such life and warmth. Excellent work!

Vivien Maloney
03-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Cat - what can I say but "Wow"! :clap:
Fabulous pastel painting and I only wish my pastel art looked as good as this!
I applaud you also for donating this painting to the Bear Rescue Society. These beautiful animals need all the help they can get.

Equus Art
03-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Jenna, thank you so much for your wonderful comments on Bella! She was so much fun to paint.

Wow, back to you Vivien! Your gorgeous sky painting using Pan Pastels was such an inspiration to me to make use of the ones that have been sitting on the shelf, taunting me. They were a big help and made a difference in the under painting on this piece. So thank you so much for that!

Cat

tuscanny
03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Wow! Beautiful work.

chammi kaiser
03-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Cat, this is the most beautiful painting of a bear I have yet to see. The colours in the fur are great and those purposeful little eyes are exceptionally well done. I really enjoyed this one.

fedetony
03-13-2017, 10:34 AM
whaaaaaa.... superb, so full of details...... is awesome :)

KreativeK
03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Wow Cat! A story with a happy ending, beautiful work that will do some good for others.

Schuee
03-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Wonderful bear. Your background is so good, too. A touching story. I hope you get to see her and post photos. 😊

Triduana
03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
A beautiful portrait of Bella, and a touching story. I love the light on the fur. And credit to you for donating this to the bear rescue. :thumbsup:

Equus Art
03-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Christel, thanks so much!

Wow, Chammi! You make me blush! Thank you! I am trying to branch out to include more wild life and had so much fun working on Bella's fur. My painting doesn't do her majesty justice!

Kay, your comment is much appreciated. I hope it sells well for them.

I will be taking photos like a mad woman, Penny! It was so hard to choose from the wonderful photos that my friend, Judy, sent to me. Wait till you see her wolves! Thank you!

Triduana, she touched me as well. Thank you for commenting.

Greenhill
03-14-2017, 01:55 AM
Such a beautiful animal, Cat. You have painted in pastel with skill and compassion.

She-She
03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Beautiful work Cat! Glad to hear she was rescued. I'm sure this will do well at the fundraiser.

Equus Art
03-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Mark, thank you!! I haven't painted fur this elaborate before and while I thought it was going to be a big challenge, it ended up being big fun!

I hope so, Sheila! These folks work hard to make people aware of how abused these magnificent beasts can be. Thank you!

Cat

CSForest
03-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Excellent! Great work on that fur and those eyes.

Brindle
03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Your work is always superb, Cat! This is one of your best, I love the eyes and colors in Bella's fur so much!!!

Lucyloo123
03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Beautiful job.

Equus Art
03-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Crista, thank you for commenting. Her fur was so fun!

Carole, thanks tons! Maybe I'm getting the hang of these dusty sticks! (wink)

How sweet, Lucy! Much appreciated!

Cat

slaterza
03-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Beautiful painting and lovely story of rescue and renewed hope for Bella. I do hope it will do well for them and that you do get that chance to see Bella in person it would be wonderful I'm sure.

Equus Art
03-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks so much for commenting, Sam! I'm hoping that it does do well. It's a great cause!

Cat