PDA

View Full Version : cosmos in glass vase

ameliajordan
07-09-2001, 09:05 PM
I apinted this in class last week on 1/2 sheet 140 lb. It was just a bunch of roadside flowers in a blue glass jar and she wanted us to do it very loosly in 2 hours. I had fun. Please critique with your opinions. Thanks.

Javier
07-09-2001, 09:17 PM
AmeliaJordan, a very soft and lovely composition. I like the color combinations that you used. And, I really like the blue 'baby tears' that are scatter among the flowers. The blue 'jar', the water, and the stems -- it all works.

A nice piece of art.

The Best,

NorahT
07-09-2001, 10:33 PM
I like this Amelia. A simple composition in keeping with the wayside flowers and anchored by the cast shadow. The colours are great, especially the background.

T-Rex
07-09-2001, 11:13 PM
Amelia, Wonderful piece here.

I agree w/ J and NT, 2 hours? Good for U!:D ....Karen

ameliajordan
07-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your comments. I've had so much trouble with glass vases and jars that I'm pleased with this one. I was worried about the painting as I did it because until I put the dark greens in it looked like nothing :D

daydreamer
07-10-2001, 11:02 AM
Like the composition!

And I love Cosmos! My wife and I have them growing in our back yard. Actually...SHE has them growing as she's the green thumb...I'm just her MULE for hauling DIRT and compost!

;-)

Anyways....I like it! I love the soft town of the negative space and the features of the jar itself.

And I like the looseness. I've been trying to loosen up myself. I find I get too rigid and detailed.

Nice work:p

VictoriaS
07-10-2001, 12:23 PM
This is very pretty, Amelia. The glass looks great.

Victoria

sun_merman
07-10-2001, 03:12 PM
Nice work Amelia. I've wrestled with the "vase water" problem too. I like the way you've achieved it.

A suggestion, (humbly of course), a defined waterline showing how full the vase is with clarity of the stems just before they enter the waterline?

:clap: :clap:

Rosebud
07-10-2001, 04:29 PM
:clap: :clap:
Very nice !

Good loose watery exercise.
I like your colors and shadows.

Rose

ameliajordan
07-10-2001, 08:32 PM
Thanks again for comments. When the teacher put the jar of flowers out and I realized that she had filled it to the brim I thought :clap: :clap: I won't screw up the water line :D She wouldn't let me draw anything except an outline of the jar and insisted that we finish that night. Working that way is a good way to loosen up but I never can seem to make myself not fiddle when at home :(

MissMouse
07-10-2001, 10:28 PM
dreamy, I can see this hanging on a sun porch with wicker furniture and ice cold lemonade in a frosty pitcher.
I read someplace that an artist is never done with a painting.

Studio224
07-11-2001, 06:58 AM
Hi Amelia,

this is very nice, especially the jar! I like the flowers also, I like them even better since I am completely unable to paint flowers. Yours are light and loose, I think you have achieved the gola that the instructor set for you.

Anne-Claire

ameliajordan
07-11-2001, 07:48 AM
Oh I want to be on that porch with the lemonade instead of at work :) It was so hard not to go in and fiddle with the flowers :D

BobH
07-11-2001, 08:31 AM
This is beautiful, Amelia :clap:

Two hours ??!!?? I'm flabbergasted !!

Bob

RuthT
07-11-2001, 08:55 AM
A wonderful painting Amelia. The flowers are lovely and loose, I am in awe of the jar, and the gentle shadow gives the finishing touch. A work to be proud of :clap:

majaya
07-11-2001, 08:28 PM
Amelia I've paid particular attention to your piece because I'm also a ' fiddler'. I can see how setting yourself a time frame helps to curb this habit. There is movement in the quick strokes....it gives the flowers life and character. Thanks for sharing it. Mary

taghera
07-11-2001, 09:24 PM
Way to go Amelia, looks great. :)

mclaughlin
07-12-2001, 04:58 AM
Exquisite

Rod
07-12-2001, 06:39 AM
Very nice , yes I agree the dark greens make it pop, very necessary. A nice soft delicate touch. You could have had a break in the colour showing the water level in the jar for a added touch ,
Rod.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 03:15 PM
Amelia
Your colours are in complete harmony.
Beautiful job.

ameliajordan
07-12-2001, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Doing this painting gave a lot of confidence - particularly after so many total failures at glass jars and vases :D I guess I could have made up a water line since the jar was full - I was just delighted not to have one to mess up. It's funny how when you just say, "OK, I'll throw this out and not stress over it." how much easier it is to paint and how better the results. I do think we all need to do some time limit paintings - it really helps loosen you up and decide what's important to get in the painting!

majaya
07-12-2001, 08:02 PM
Amelia, I also have the 'fiddle' virus. I can see how limiting your time helps to overcome this. Your quicker strokes, especially seen in the stems, creates movement and thus character to the work. I must try this exercise myself. Thank you for sharing this it's a fresh and lovely piece. Mary

literal
07-13-2001, 03:55 AM
Everyone else has said it, and I'll say it too - lovely painting. My solution to fiddling has been bigger brushes but I can see how limited time would do the same

Mark