PDA

View Full Version : Changing Scenery

Dougwas
03-09-2017, 05:45 PM
This 9 x 12 painting was done on illustration board that had two coats of Art Spectrum white pastel primer applied to it with a soft brush. It was started with a watercolor under painting. The pastel primer and illustration board worked well with the watercolor, with no buckling or warping. Loved it!

I have another board with four coats of the primer and will be using it next to get an idea it it works better with the pastels. I am taking a workshop with Richard McKinley in May and I know this is one way he paints. I have never been able to find the right surface to work for me, but I think that is now solved.

This is a scene that no longer exists. The trees on the right side have been cut down to make room for a condo complex. I am happy I spotted the scene during my daily walk last summer and took the shot. I changed the scene by removing the walkway and adding the view of the lake.

Thanks for looking! I always welcome c & c.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2017/102199-IMG_2932.jpg

Doug

DFGray
03-09-2017, 08:15 PM
lots of distance I like the texture you have

water girl
03-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Yes, nice distance in this painting. I'm particularly drawn to your color palette in the lower right hand corner.

Donna T
03-10-2017, 08:16 AM
This is so nice, Doug! I like that some of your underpainting is allowed to show through. It's an extra element of depth that is always interesting. You might consider softening the large sky hole on the left a little more, just to keep it from drawing our eyes toward the edge. Maybe a few blurry branches would do the trick but it's only a thought. Enjoy that McKinley workshop!

Dougwas
03-10-2017, 09:33 AM
I forgot to show the under painting. It is the first watercolor under painting that I have been happy with. The board and pastel primer worked great for this type of watery mix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2017/102199-IMG_1683.jpg

Dan- Thanks for the kind words. The under painting sure helped with the far hills.

Karen- I loved putting those colors together. Cool greens and violets go so nicely together. Fun for this color geek! :-)

Donna- I will do some more feathering. I have been tinkering with this painting since posting it. lol I thought of putting some branches in and still might do it. In real life the dark lines from the watercolor look like trunks and I was afraid to ruin the look. I am planning to do a larger version of this for a show, so I will keep all this in mind. Thanks for your input. :)

Doug

Perry
03-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Nice one Doug.
The green and violet go well together.

jlombardi
03-10-2017, 06:07 PM
I really like the hills in the distance.

PeggyB
03-11-2017, 04:42 PM
What a lovely scene those condo owners will have of the distant hills and lake. You handled the texture and color choices very nicely. You may want to consider the placement of sky holes in the trees. Those on the left appear rather staked on top of one another, and are very nearly the same size.

You are going to love Richard's workshop. I've taken one from him, and he's a wonderful instructor. He chose not to create his own surface in the one I attended, but used a couple different textured supports; pastel mat was one, and I think the other was MultiMedia Pastel board, but I could be wrong on that one; that's one I use a lot to create some very textured paintings. He added texture to select places in one demo by using acrylic ground and a palette knife or brush.

Donna T
03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Gorgeous underpainting! Thanks for sharing it, Doug.

rugman
03-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Beautiful piece here, Doug. I really enjoy working with the Colorfix primer, being able to glaze over colors, the texture, fun stuff.....