Kevin M
07-09-2001, 10:00 PM
http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/fish1.jpg

Canon Powershot G1

Totem
07-10-2001, 05:23 PM
Great claity and color...

Is the G1 a digital camera???

trying to make up my mind if I should get a high end Digital to add to my collection.

Great touch on the photo....

Totem

Kevin M
07-10-2001, 09:31 PM
Hi Totem,

The G1 is a 3.3 megapixel digital camera. The specification is aimed at the advanced amateur and semi-pro market even though it is an in-your-pocket camera. It is not cheap at around $800 and the Sony Dsc S-75 has a very similar spec at $100 less.

So far (5 months) I am very pleased with its performance. I am particularly pleased with the life of a battery charge which seems to last for ever. A first, I suspect, for digital cameras in general.
Resolution and colour rendition is excellent.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~bot/cock.jpg

Kevin

nnelson1
07-11-2001, 08:30 AM
Kevin:

The G1 is doing you proud!
I particularly like the first image. Excellant clarity, all subjects are distinct, and the composition is good. Plus, the story in the pic is great!

The color and clarity of the second image is impressive as well, but roosters don't do much for me! :D

Cheers!

Nick

JaneS
07-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Love your spaniel photo. It has that look of everything just coming together to make a fabulous composition from corner to corner.

---Jane

Kevin M
07-13-2001, 04:43 PM
Hi Nick and Jane,

I agree about roosters, - they dont do much for me either - but this cropping of a G1 image (60%) serves as a convenient demo of its resoluton and colour rendition.

Re: composition, I have found that subject matter along the two diagonals usually results in a more interesting image. In landcapes it can give the impression of depth. However, the really great image often breaks all the rules.

Kevin

sassybird
07-13-2001, 07:51 PM
Kevin,
I have an Olympus Camedia 2.1 pixels. I get some good shots with it, but hope to one day get a higher end camera. Mine cost $500, and it has already paid for itself.

I like you work especially the rooster. The dog is adorable, but I have a think about birds.........lol

Kevin M
07-13-2001, 08:24 PM
Hi Sass,

My last digital camera was an Olympus 1.3 megapixel and performed quite well. My main reason for upgrading to the G1 was for the extra control functions rather than the number of pixels.
However, since I very seldom reproduce images larger than around 8" by 6" 3million pixels is more than adequate even with a bit of cropping.

For large images I have a habit of going to the other extreme and I use a conventional Linhof Technica view camera. There are digital backs available for view cameras but I think I will wait till they are slightly less expensive than the space shuttle.

Kevin

TeAnne
07-20-2001, 03:45 AM
That dog one is so cute :cat: and I love the colours on that rooster. What breed is he?

Kevin M
07-21-2001, 08:25 AM
Hi Teanne,

I assume you refer to the rooster. I am no authority on farm yard fowl but I am told that he is a type of Bantam. They are very small and colourful.

Max is a seven month old Springer and is mischief on four legs.

Kevin

TeAnne
07-28-2001, 03:56 AM
Thanks Kevin :D

Allan Jameson
08-07-2001, 08:25 PM
I am not a photographer at all ,I just browse around this forum looking for things to paint and your 2 photos are fantastic I would especially like to paint your rooster ,I have been looking for that kind of image for some time,large paintings of poultry are very popular with people who are into a country style of decor,so if I may can I use your rooster for one of my paintings?

Leaflin
08-07-2001, 10:57 PM
Kevin
What a great shot of that dog.
I love a photo that tells a story.