PDA

View Full Version : Book Cover

vegaskip
03-08-2017, 05:18 AM
These are two paintings for the latest book cover.
W/C 12" X9"
Jim845240

vegaskip
03-08-2017, 05:20 AM
I prefer the first one.
Same size
Jim

NeilF92
03-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Both good . I prefer the first ,it hangs together better than the second which seems a little off balance with the guns firing off scene to the left.

Trumper
03-09-2017, 06:10 AM
Brilliant stuff , i like the 2nd one :)

Fishjay
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Totally agree with you. The first one has my vote!😎

Lester

Fishjay
03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Jim, how long did it take you to produce these two?

Lester

vegaskip
03-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Three days to read the manuscript and research. An afternoon (about 3hrs) each
Some of the small pencil sketches related to the narrative.

Shamrock15
03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
My only issue with the first is the smoke trail behind the SM79. I like the angles in the second - a little more action oriented - but the sky is rather empty.

That being said, both are good work Jim. Both have space for titles, and that may take up some of the empty sky to which I was referring so I will reserve the right to withdraw that comment!

vegaskip
03-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Precisely why the sky is relatively empty. Doing a book cover is different from a decorative pic or a portrait type. If it is front and back for instance all the action should be on the right, and you don't want too much going on where there is to be text. I think agree re the smoke, however l think made the one on fire a bit bigger.
Jim

gollum
03-10-2017, 09:07 PM
It's a pity it's not a wrap around cover, that would make the painting landscape

IMHO the second painting is much better than the first and if it was wrap around you could make more sense of what the ship is actually firing at as you could expand the scene

It would make the book cover much more interesting as well

vegaskip
03-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Totally agree re wraparound. However brief was portrait, I think it will initially be an e book. It wasn't commissioned as a painting of HMS Tartar to hang on a wall.
It was to be something from the 'story' that makes you want to read the book. Whether it will or not, I don't know. I sent both off with instructions to dispose of them as he sees fit. Normally he has them framed and gives them to surviving relatives. These book covers, I do free, as a thank you to kindness shown to me and my wife, and, in a small way a thank you to the authors. Not to mention pure old fashioned Friendship.
Jim

RegisR
03-19-2017, 01:07 PM
My only issue with the first is the smoke trail behind the SM79. I like the angles in the second - a little more action oriented - but the sky is rather empty.

That being said, both are good work Jim. Both have space for titles, and that may take up some of the empty sky to which I was referring so I will reserve the right to withdraw that comment!

Agreed on the second one. The action is on both, but the angle of the ship on the left, barrelling through the waves, is very catchy!