PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Ducklings

mellybean
03-06-2017, 02:03 PM
My second real (as in not a sketch :)) pastel piece! I bought a couple pieces of Pastelmat paper to try because I had heard such wonderful things about it, and I'm definitely not disappointed! This paper was wonderful to work on and the pastels blended so smoothly. The only problem I had was trying to layer the pastel pencils I had (Pitt pencils) on top of the soft pastels I used (Blick Artists' soft pastels). The Pitt pencils were way too hard compared to the Blick pastels and they just ended up cutting into the soft pastel and lifting the pastel off the paper. Oh well, live and learn! I'll have to get a softer pencil to work with these pastels :) C+C welcome!

11x14 Blick Artists' soft pastels on Pastelmat (white)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2017/1963926-fuzzyducklingweb.jpg

Irishwhistler
03-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Melissa,
A wonderful piece with the downy softness captured and superb blending of colors.👌

Cheers,
Mike☘️

stapeliad
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Aww they are sooo cute!
I use the carbothello pencils with the Blick soft pastels sometimes, either underneath or for minor final details.

In general the pencils are harder than the sticks, usually best to not plan on layering them on top.

mellybean
03-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Aww they are sooo cute!
I use the carbothello pencils with the Blick soft pastels sometimes, either underneath or for minor final details.

In general the pencils are harder than the sticks, usually best to not plan on layering them on top.

Thanks for the tip! I'm very new to pastels :)

mellybean
03-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Melissa,
A wonderful piece with the downy softness captured and superb blending of colors.👌

Cheers,
Mike☘️

Thanks Mike!

Equus Art
03-06-2017, 06:19 PM
You have painted these little ducklings in such a soft, downy feel that they totally come to life. Well done.

Conte pastel pencils are much softer than any of the other brands that I use. I will frequently work them along with the stick pastels, especially on PastelMat, with no problem. You might want to give them a try.

Cat

mellybean
03-06-2017, 10:50 PM
You have painted these little ducklings in such a soft, downy feel that they totally come to life. Well done.

Conte pastel pencils are much softer than any of the other brands that I use. I will frequently work them along with the stick pastels, especially on PastelMat, with no problem. You might want to give them a try.

Cat

Thank you! I'll check them out :)

LisaOlivarez
03-07-2017, 08:20 PM
It's really beautiful and sweet! Well done. :) The only suggestion I would have is to possibly make the hind duckling's beak a squinch less black so that it recedes and doesn't get mixed up with the one in front? Or maybe run a little highlight along the edge of the front beak. My eye is getting a little stuck there. But, in all, really, really lovely.

mellybean
03-07-2017, 09:33 PM
It's really beautiful and sweet! Well done. :) The only suggestion I would have is to possibly make the hind duckling's beak a squinch less black so that it recedes and doesn't get mixed up with the one in front? Or maybe run a little highlight along the edge of the front beak. My eye is getting a little stuck there. But, in all, really, really lovely.

Thanks for the tip! I'll see what I can do :)

Divasin
03-08-2017, 08:03 AM
This is an amazingly confident work,soft and fluffy with no sense that you might have struggled with the materials!

PeggyB
03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
You did a good job of capturing the fuzzy feeling. Lisa gave you a good tip regarding the beak.

Perry
03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Well done.
Soooo cute!

Dougwas
03-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Great job on capturing the softness of the ducklings!

Doug

mellybean
03-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Thank you Doug, Perry, PeggyB, and Leslie! Your comments are much appreciated :)

jlombardi
03-10-2017, 06:24 PM
This is wonderfully fluffy!