PDA

View Full Version : Help with a colour shade

Schuee
03-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Hello.

I have just used pastels for first time and am finding it difficult to get a chestnut colour, using pencils. What colours do you mix for this shade? Mine comes out too red!

Thank you.

Schuee
03-05-2017, 06:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2017/1989627-IMG_4498.JPG

This is what I'm aiming at

Equus Art
03-05-2017, 09:02 AM
What pencils are you using, Penny? Conte has several good chestnut colors and you can also tone the redness down with some apricot or flesh colors as well. I'm not close to my studio right now, but when I go up there later today, I can give you the numbers of the pencils I use for these colored pups and horses.

Cat

Schuee
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Hello,Cat.

Thank you. I have Derwent pastel,pencils and Fabre Castell Pitt Pastel pencils.
I would be very good to have the details of the Conte ones. You certainly obtain beautiful chestnut colours for your horses.

😎

Equus Art
03-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Penny, I made some quick swatches for you but I'm not sure the colors are 100% representative. I know the funky looking yellowish colors on the right are not yellowish or gold as they appear in this photo. They are actually three values of a peachy apricot color that works really well with highlights on a chestnut colored dog. I use that combo consistently whenever I have to paint Corgis.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2017/1182735-Color_Swatches.jpg

Conte pencils are one of my favorites, along with the Caran d'Arches. The Contes are soft compared to a lot of the other pastel pencils and they are a little fatter as well.

Hope this helps.

Cat

Schuee
03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
That is excellent, Cat. Thank you very much. I will certainly try conte pencils. Some very suitable shades there. The 7 and 32 is nice. The Conte 7 and 18 are good colours, too.

stapeliad
03-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Anytime I have an animal fur challenge, I go for earth colors.
Burnt Siennas, umbers, ochres, grey, black, and white.

Earth colors are standard and should be included in any set.

That's a nice reference btw. :)

Schuee
03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Thank you, stapeliad. Good advice! I have a range of earth colours on order, as I have very few at the moment.

😊