GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Road to Eagle Lake
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From memory. Third try with a palette knife. Trying to stay loose. Discovered that while I'm painting and trying to figure out how to hold the knife I'm thinking of Wayne's pieces. That's the effect I hope to have one day...They are always fantastic.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is my road going uphill?
What do you do if you have scrapped away tiny points of paint all the way down to the canvas?

jerryW
10-29-2003, 11:28 PM
yes a lot like wayne's, and it has a good logic, the arcs in the clouds sometimes tie into the straighter arcs below, any linkages between color and color streak and streak etc. are good.
maybe the road goes up, maybe there is a hill in the blue over yonder.
just scrape if you are happy with the results of scraping, especially acrylic, scrape only when really wet. it looks nice to paint over toughened layers, also removes any tendency to get anal.

Naris
10-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Your road does look a bit like a stairway to heaven I think! Defintely looks uphill to me. Love the rich thick paint and yummy colours:clap:

HenryAfrika
10-30-2003, 10:47 AM
I really love the texture and rich colors of your piece. I'm certainly no expert, but if the climbing road bothers you, i think darkening that last patch of gold may help to pull it back down. Just a thought. Very nice.

Andrew
10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Knife painting is difficult, but worth the struggle. And using Wayne as a guide to your goal ain't all bad either. His recent pieces have had great atmosphere and a wonderful brush/knife work.

Andrew

dornberg
10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
like the swirls and lines of paint

mix it up

pero lane
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Very nice...great use of color...the textures and comp are great. Nothing about this bothers me. I find that the scratches you asked about give a peice "character".:)

Andrew Rance
10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I immediately thought of Wayne's work as I scrolled down the sky! I am summoning up the courage to try knife work (I have the knives ready!), so you are a lot braver than me. Your road is going over a hill into the valley beyond.....

wolvenp
10-31-2003, 01:36 AM
Not bad. I would say work to diminish intensity of colors as they go into distance. The land occupies more space on the canvas, so this painting is more about it than the sky, therefore, simplify the sky. Too much activity up there suggests it is fighting the land for attention.

HenryAfrika
10-31-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't know that I agree with simplifying the sky. I like the complexity. Take Van Gogh's "Yellow Wheat And Cypresses" for example...as with much of his work. A lot of bold strokes and color in both the land and the sky make the work as wonderful as it is.

Spyderbabe
11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Thank you all!
Pero - I like that - "character" you've turned what I thought was a detriment into a positive!

Gilberte
11-03-2003, 04:49 PM
Energy and enthusiasm are jumping from this painting. Me like it!
Working with a pallette knife is a real battle for me too. To me, the road looks okay !
Bravissimo !

bocote
11-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Good work. some areas feel a little random, but overall its a good composition. Details and lack of details between areas very good.

Not that you want to copy Wayne's style or whatever, but he had a really cool process write up somewhere. went into his paint mediums and all that. he'll prolly say something about it soon.