PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Post - March, 2017

robertsloan2
03-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Sissy and I purr at you! She's blowing her coat, great puffs of pale cat wool flying everywhere as the weather gets nicer. Spring is here! Maybe this is a good time to reorganize art supplies, clean pastels, get out plein air to paint all the exuberant flowers that bloom... well, that depends on your climate, but still. Winter is over or at least on its way out and a spring cleaning may be inspirational.

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

robertsloan2
03-04-2017, 12:41 PM
No one's posted? Eep!

My goals in March...

1. Work on medieval scroll work for SCA for Gulf Wars and after
2. Plan my "Design Celtic Knotwork" class and hold it at Gulf Wars
3. Do the Spotlight sometime this month.
4. Get back a daily art or artish habit, health permitting.

Not big, but I'll be gone from March 11 - 18th or so at Gulf Wars, a big medieval event coming up for which I need to have some scrolls done to show off, then will be getting books on the scribe stuff there and hang out taking classes and doing my class.

Whether I manage to do daily art or not, I'll keep trying for it because I missed having something to post daily. Some of the problem is getting photos of it and getting them onto the computer if I've been busy.

Shallbe
03-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Well, I've not spent a lot of time in the goal post threads, but just popped in to see what it's all about and decided to post.

I took a challenge by Karen Margulis to choose a subject and paint that same subject once a week all year. The only way I can make time to do it is to paint ATC size, so that's how I'm completing it... So far, so good!

Secondly, someone posted on Facebook several weeks back one of those Google maps travel ideas... This one was to visit all the castles in Texas. Well, one of those castles is right across the river from me so I thought, heck why not? And let's not just see them... Let's paint them!

Now, Falkenstein castle is not open to the public so I had no idea how to get a good view of it to paint... It can be seen from the road, but not well. So randomly, I just posted on Facebook what I'd like to do and it turns out I have a music student who is the grand daughter of the owner...

Myself and two artist friends are slated to visit next Monday to photograph and paint!

For my birthday I received a French easel, so I'll be using that and actually painting plein air for the first time.

I find myself really rather nervous... I'm so new to painting at all. Any suggestions as to how I might approach this opportunity in a relaxed fashion and just have fun would be appreciated!

shallbe

Judibelle
03-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Hi Shallbe...So glad you decided to post. I love that you will be able to paint the castle! Wonderful coincidence, for sure!

Rob...Sounds like you have a very busy month ahead...wishing you well in all that you do.

I'm a little 'late at the fair', this month. Haven't done any art lately. My days have been busy with health things (good things, thankfully)....but that's all I've been concentrating on. On my 'days off' I have to do household things...paperwork, etc....So I guess you could say this month's goals are mainly devoted to getting healthy. Feels good so far.

robertsloan2
03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Shallbe, that is a fantastic project. I love it. Castles are so beautiful.

Purr thanks, Judi!

Daily art crashed, too many sick days, it just happens. I should have remembered spring sometimes does this to me. But we're getting ready to leave now and I'm definitely going to be doing something at the week-long medieval event. The class stuff is ready!

Shallbe
03-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Today was supposed to be the day, but it was raining. Now the sun is shining.:o

However, I contacted the lady and she said tomorrow would work just as well, and it's supposed to stay sunny until Wednesday. The only downside is that my art friends aren't able to come tomorrow. Still...in a way that's good because I can just relax and not worry if I'm "doing it right".

shallbe

Shallbe
03-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Did it! Weather was beautiful. Light was behind the castle at that time of day, lesson learned. But still had a good time. Got about a million photos and two color studies (which look like a kindergartner did them, but hey, you got to start somewhere).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2017/1988178-1stenpleinairresize_640x480.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

shallbe

Judibelle
03-15-2017, 07:32 PM
So happy you were able to go and paint! The castle looks very interesting...
is anyone living in it now?

I still havent' done a lick of art...a lot of other stuff going on...all good but time consuming.
Still now word about Jim. I'm really concerned that something may have happened. Sure wish there was some way to make contact.

Thinking of Rob and his weekend....hoping all is going well.

Doug, I love the new painting you did on Facebook...your trees are really great.
Keep on keeping on...

Shallbe
03-15-2017, 11:46 PM
Judibelle,

Yes, the people who had it built are in residence! But they also rent it out as a wedding venue. You can look it up online... Just put in Falkenstein castle. It's an interesting story, how they came to build it.

shallbe

robertsloan2
03-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Shallbe, that's so beautiful! Great photo, and your color studies don't need to be great paintings. They're like photo references, something you can use later to correct photo references when taking your time painting it.

I came back from Gulf Wars on Monday at one in the morning, we all crashed. Today I'm exhausted and didn't barely go online yesterday except to delete half the email that needed deleting. I spent most of the event at Scribe's Point, where I spent four days doing the best and fourth of my Celtic Scrolls and another scroll for my granddaughter's award, then did three sketched borders without paint or calligraphy because scroll making is sometimes a group activity just like in medieval times. It was very relaxing just drawing "bar and vine" borders in pen without paint or calligraphy. I plan on doing more of those.

So I actually did a whole lot of art at the medieval event. I don't have photos yet because the big Kindle with the better camera is still packed on the truck, but I will post those later.

Judibelle
03-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Glad it went well....and glad you're back!

robertsloan2
03-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Purr thanks! I posted my pretties in the Scumble, but still have a couple of line drawings and one more scroll to take pictures of. Today was cold and overcast, might have been good photography weather but I was too chilled down to go outside to take pics and too tired from the event to do so. Spent much time resting and napping. Tomorrow I'll get on it and maybe there will be sun!