PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble March 2017

CM Neidhofer
02-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone! Yet another new month is before us. Join us in the sharing of our every day lives, non-pastel and non-art related happenings. Here is a link to last month's Scumble: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421174

robertsloan2
03-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Hi Christine!

Heading towards my big medieval event, biggest of the year for me - Gulf Wars. I'll be in Mississippi in Renaissance Italian costume doing scroll work and sketching other folks in period garments and tents and stuff for a week - sort of a long week since we have to head down early at the start and leave late. My daughter is an equestrian marshal and has to help with the horses. She's bringing three horses to the event and camping with our equestrian buddies.

I'll be camping in the Handicapped Camp, set up like a parking spot to be central to everything with the least walking distance to classes and Court and merchants and other things that aren't as physically demanding as the fighting and the riding. I could go to the fights but I rarely do, since I like taking classes at big events and in the evenings I roam to various parties. Probably sketching at them.

I need to do some more scrolls before I actually go, at least one more good one, maybe two. I've also got to plan my class. I'm scheduled to do a two hour Design Celtic Knotwork class twice during the event. Have all the stuff together finally for this class, just got the Blick order with the cheap student compasses for doing spirals and round forms. Got rulers for them. Got paper and pencils and white board and Sharpies and white board markers all sorted out and packed up - all the class stuff is in one bag.

I've taught versions of it at three smaller events this year, each one showing me something more that needed to be included. But all of those were freeform with 1-4 students, not a room full of 20 people who need more structure and may take more time over everything. I'm going to get them taking notes too.

It'll be interesting! And I also need to make some Renaissance shirts and a coat too on the sewing machine, or let Kitten do that, or whatever. The coat is a bit of a major project, the shirts could be pretty simple. Either way it's going to be a major production getting ready for this event.

But today I have Johannes Vloothuis class and I hope it's the pastels one!

CM Neidhofer
03-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Wow! Sounds like quite an adventure, Robert!!

robertsloan2
03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh it will be! Leaving very soon, now. Got everything done but didn't get any more scrolls finished, too many sick days. I might be able to get some done at it though!

CM Neidhofer
03-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Oh it will be! Leaving very soon, now. Got everything done but didn't get any more scrolls finished, too many sick days. I might be able to get some done at it though!
Have fun, relax and don't over-do!!!

Shallbe
03-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Hello, fellow painters:

I have posted a painting in the gallery at the link below which I would appreciate comments on!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21055919#post21055919

Thanks!

shallbe

robertsloan2
03-22-2017, 05:07 PM
LOL Christine! I overdid! I think all of us lost about 10-20 pounds at war by way of hiking and activity. I overdid on art too, gloriously, put in well over 30 hours volunteering at Scribes Point. I'd meant to spend most of it sitting at Scribes Point working on scrolls, then found out that counted as volunteer hours! So I got lots of volunteer perks for doing my favorite thing, it felt like cheating.

Shallbe, I'll go look at your painting and comment. But for my pastel buds, thought I'd post my pretties here since they're my Other Art Form, just like I sometimes do favorite sketches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2017/70184-Bar-Vine-1_Post.jpg
My first Bar & Vine border, "Tree of Life." 9 x 12" pen on paper. This got drawn after a couple of scribes up there taught me about the style, which is great when original scrolls need doing fast and goes with Gothic Lettering, which is the fancy Old English that most people know. I did this to relax after doing the Celtic one and will be doing many more.

We had people who never worked on scrolls coming in and painting line work and people who liked calligraphy and couldn't draw doing the text blocks, so Scribe's Point ran just like a medieval monastery shop except all genders and no celibacy (or religious) requirement. SCA is more fun than the real middle ages!

I was surrounded by lovely ladies many in my age group who mother-catted me and made sure I ate food and drank Propel and didn't get sick, once I got in and planted and worked on stuff without stopping. Made some great new friends and we all swapped tips, taught, learned, shared books.

This one's the big big project that took four days to design and execute:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2017/70184-Celtic_Scroll_4_Serpentine_Post.jpg
Celtic Scroll 4 “Serpentine”
9” x 12”
Pigma micron pen, dip pen, Pelikan pan gouache, Daniel Smith Iridescent Gold watercolor on Arches 140lb hot press watercolor paper. Award of Arms scroll for Society for Creative Anachronism, Kingdom of Gleann Abhann.

This one was my first go at original zoomorphs - animal designs - in Celtic art. First my making the W a snake-dragon-eel thingy. They are usually called snakes, but notice fins and eyebrow feelers? I keep thinking "eel with whiskers" and know the Irish ate eels, so why wouldn't they get in the art? Then I decided I wanted two more in the arch and worked out how to do them, which took some serious erasing to get all the crossings right with three strands going into it. Then I looked up the colors in a borrowed book with many color plates on the Lindisfarne Gospels.

Scribing is a little different from other art in that with scrolls I can get by with a fantasy or just "medieval" look, but for competition level scrolls I'd be using authentic materials or closest equivalents and trying to copy the ancient style much more than original designs.

I haven't actually copied the layouts of Book of Kells, Book of Durrow, Lindisfarne Gospels or anything with these Celtic scrolls because some were too complicated to be practical unless I spent a year on it and others too plain or too lopsided, artist was great in detail but lousy at design. But the originals got made by entire gangs of monks, with masters doing the fanciest bits and other masters doing all the lettering and coloring by someone else. Layouts weren't even necessarily by the same person as who did the knotwork, just "fill this area here" and that's it.

If I ever do a competition level Celtic scroll, I'll need to start by trimming down a 5" x 7" piece of parchment to shape and then set up three magnifiers, make a teeny-tiny brush with a cut feather and, well, squint a lot and spend weeks on it using original ground pigments and so on. But still with modern lighting. Main thing other than that for the competitions is to stick to copying the lettering and type of decoration on one manuscript page and write a 3-5 page paper about the source.

So scroll making is somewhere between art, scribe work and art forgery. I like doing the originals and have most of the basic skills except gold leafing, which I've tried and failed at. I bought some fake gold leaf to try again but we'll have to see if I can manage to make that work right before I buy and ruin real gold leaf again.

I don't have a photo yet, but right after I finished the Celtic Scroll, I found out the Queen wanted to give my granddaughter the Order of the Lamb award. This is the children's equivalent of an Award of Arms scroll, because that child has been helpful all through events at every single one she attends. She serves at feasts, helps out everywhere, volunteers constantly and enthusiastically, so she's gotten her first Kingdom award... except they did not have an Order of the Lamb scroll.

So she had to come to Court and some fool told her about it first, but then she didn't get called. I got told "Make it spiffy, do something really great for her" as if I wouldn't, and "have it done by 1pm."

I did it. Simplified to just the big fancy capital O with knotwork and pretty calligraphy on vegetable parchment (an authentic medieval sort of paper that I think also includes glue made of boiled-down parchment scraps). It's pretty! I still need to get a photo though. It's in my scroll case since I'm keeping it safe till we get her a frame for it, so I will get a good photo and post that here too. Has my second Celtic Animal, the lamb got adapted from a Celtic deer design.

*Deirdre*
04-01-2017, 06:44 AM
April's Scumble (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21069940#post21069940)