PDA

View Full Version : Graphite Pencil Anecdote

rmorrisonjr
02-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Hello from Texas!
This morning I was noticing how I had not used my 4B graphite pencil at any point in the 60 hours I've put into Cedar-Walker Hound. I chuckled at the visualization and the relation of the 4B to a 2 Iron on the golf course.

As amusing as this image was, I realized that I am a rookie/greenhorn/novice when it comes to both drawing and golf. Just as a novice golfer might seek out the advice of a scratch golfer, I'd like to open up the floor to anyone who has general drawing advice for the novice/self-taught.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2017/2000336-IMG_1102.PNG
Also feel free to comment with your favorite/least favorite pencil.

One line at a time,

Rob

The Avenger
02-28-2017, 12:18 PM
I haven't did a pure graphite drawing in a long time, not that I was great I prefer paint. What I found made my pictures look a touch better was using something that was non reflective to finish the blacks off. As an example eyes/pupils it's difficult to get the black needed due tongue reflective nature of graphite,so when. I was near completing a picture I would use charcoal as it tends to get the really black tone needed.

KreativeK
02-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Hey, Rob, hello from west Texas! Just as in golf, daily practice makes a huge difference. I like using 6B pencil as well as ordinary #2 office pencils. Welcome to WetCanvas!

chammi kaiser
03-02-2017, 03:40 AM
I use 2B, 4B, 6B and 8B. I am able to achieve lots of nice tones with these. The 8B is great for dark passages in a drawing.

fedetony
03-02-2017, 04:06 AM
:) actually you just need 1 or 2, but having more makes it faster... as in golf, a 5 iron and a potter :D

rmorrisonjr
03-02-2017, 09:39 AM
My thoughts exactly! Love my 5 Iron and love my putter! Ha!