PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier pastel card colour variations

Bokkei
02-28-2017, 05:29 AM
A while back I bought my first pad of pastel cards from Sennelier, when looking at the cards I fell in love with the Light Blue card, it had this beautiful light tealish colour. After I started drawing on the pastel cards I fell in love with the texture as well and thought I had found my new favourite surface to draw on :heart:

Last time I bought new art supplies I got four pads of Sennelier pastel card and when I got them I realised that the Light Blue didn't look the same, it has this almost green tone instead. It is still a beautiful colour but not the same colour I fell in love with and wanted more of. Right now I'm doing a piece on the newer card and I really like that colour as well, if I never had seen the first variation I would have been blissfully unaware and totally happy with the colour I got. Since some of the other cards in the pad also had some variations compared to my older pad, I thought that it could just be different batches and it isn't that weird that different batches can turn out different, and maybeee next time I got a pad I would get the more bluish looking cards.
A couple of days later I got a package with some large Sennelier Pastel Cards in the Light Blue colour and they looked the same as the newer pads I had received with the more greenish colour.

Those of you who uses this pastel card, do you as well have this variation in the colours or was it just a one time thing that I got the bluer colour?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2017/1396919-sennelierlightblue.jpg

It is quite difficult to get a good photo of the colours on the cards, and depending on what screen you look at it could look different. On my screen they look a little bit muddier and grey in the colour on the photo than they do irl. But I think you at least can see the difference between them. The one on the top is from a new pad, the one in the middle is my old pad and the one on the bottom is the large one I got now just a couple of days ago.

water girl
02-28-2017, 09:54 PM
See if there is a color code or color name somewhere on the paper or the pads. Is it possible they changed the variety of colors in the pads? I generally use Sand or Light Blue Gray. The Light Blue Gray I use is a cool gray, not green. I'm wondering if they substituted Dark Green for Blue Gray in the pad? Let's see if anyone else has that same experience.

Bokkei
03-01-2017, 04:50 AM
When checking the backside it says the same on all the pads. It is the Blue Clair 010, Light Blue grey 010.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2017/1396919-blocken.jpg

On my papers it only says Light Blue no10, Blue Clair. I would guess that Light Blue Grey and Light Blue are supposed to be the same? At least the papers matches the colour Light Blue Grey in my newer pads.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2017/1396919-styckvis.jpg

This is so confusing. When searching for the color range from Sennelier I feel like the colour I got don't match with any one of the colours. It is more yellow in it than the Bleu Clair, but a bit more blue and lighter than the Vert foncÚ. http://www.katja-sauer.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Farbkarte-Pastel-Card-von-Sennelier-englisch.jpg

My "Blue grey" kind of reminds me of the background colour of your homepage (You make beautiful work btw!), not a perfect match but closer than the sennelier colour examples, haha, I know it is a weird comparison since it depends on the colour calibration of the screen. It is so difficult for me to explain colours in words, especially in English. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2017/1396919-IMG_9218.JPG

PeggyB
03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
You might go to their webpage, and contact them to ask about this. It does appear to be quite different. That is always so disappointing when you've come to love a color and then it changes. I know dye lots can change, but this is a big change on my computer screen.

JustinM
03-01-2017, 08:30 PM
honestly, i have such a hard time getting them in my part of the country I just take what i can, lol. My favourite is sand but i find it nearly impossible to get. I just ordered 20 full sheets of light grey because thats all i could get my hands on without going outside of the country.

Bokkei
03-06-2017, 06:14 AM
You might go to their webpage, and contact them to ask about this. It does appear to be quite different. That is always so disappointing when you've come to love a color and then it changes. I know dye lots can change, but this is a big change on my computer screen.

Yes I think I might have to mail them and ask about it. It is quite a big change, at least I think so, if I didn't have the name of the colours I wouldn't guess it is supposed to be the same paper...

honestly, i have such a hard time getting them in my part of the country I just take what i can, lol. My favourite is sand but i find it nearly impossible to get. I just ordered 20 full sheets of light grey because thats all i could get my hands on without going outside of the country.

I feel you on that, I only have a small art supply store in the town I live so I usually buy supplies when I'm traveling or order online. Would be so awesome to be able to buy it local :)