PDA

View Full Version : Presentation

littleone
07-27-2000, 10:37 AM
Hi all

I am thinking of taking some of my work to local galleries and shops. I wanted to know which was the most effective ( and may be the cheapest) way of presenting my pictures. To mount them or frame them or to have shrink wrapped I admit I am a little baffled by all the options and any help would be appreciated.

Gillian http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

carly
07-27-2000, 02:57 PM
Hi little one and welcome to the message boards at WetCanvas.

First do some scouting and find galleries that you would want to deal with. If the gallery is super contemporary...abstract...expressionist, and your work is more traditional...find another gallery..or at least just request information of submission guidelines and the type of art they are looking for. I do this type of scouting all the time...and in all types of galleries. Both commission, consignment and co-ops. Every gallery will have its own agenda.

Now...if the gallery wants to view slides of your work. Take the best pic you possibly can filling the slide with the artwork...not the framing. This is usually true if they want to see photographs also. Sometimes they will ask you to simply mail these in...if they don't get in touch with an answer, then call them and do followup.

All of the galleries I have dealt with required the paintings to be "gallery ready" which meant...framed, wiring attached (absolutely no picture hooks on the back!), and ready to hang for showing. If you work in watercolor or pastel...that would mean matted, framed with either glass or acrylic, ready for hanging.

There are some galleries that will frame pieces themselves and some will require your framing be consistent...or to their specifications. That's one reason for learning about their requirements ahead of time.

Always be as professional as possible...get information...and follow the guidelines. Make follow-up calls and if rejected...move on! There are a lot of ways to get your artwork visable...the more you utilize, the better.

good luck in your painting adventure!
carly

Rod
08-01-2000, 04:33 AM
Great advice Carly,
Will check out some of my local galleries,
havn't thought along those lines yet,
Rod

------------------
Rodzart from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rodzart/)