PDA

View Full Version : My QT at the Lake

Javier
07-09-2001, 07:09 PM
This 7.5" by 11" watercolor was done on Arches 300 pound paper. This is from a lesson by Carol Campbell (aka oleCC) titled, "Quiet Time at the Lake".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jul-2001/QTOTLake.jpg

I enjoyed the lesson and it is a very good one for a beginner like myself. Again, I would value a critical critique of both its faults and its merits. I am learning from your comment so please keep them coming.

BTW, I would expect oleCC to be very critical because it is her lesson.

Thanks in Advance (TIA),

T-Rex
07-09-2001, 10:47 PM
Hi J,

Hard to find faults here. I really do like this especially the pastel colors, its calming. You have a very nice painting, the grass in the foreground is great. The distance you've achieved is good. The color repetition works for me too.:clap:

Did you accomplish the objective of the lesson? What was it?

I guess if I would like to see something different it would have to be the sky but that may be part of the lesson...... This is nice, really well done........Karen

Faafil
07-10-2001, 04:04 AM
Beautiful ! I saw this lesson as well, and intend to try it a bit down the road.. I love it... I only hope I'm as talented as you are J...

:clap:

Rosebud
07-10-2001, 06:34 PM
Very nicely done:clap:
Peaceful.

Rose

ameliajordan
07-10-2001, 08:43 PM
I still haven't done this demonstration. I like the variation in your grasses and the trees. It appears that the sun is rising in the background and would like to see some darks on the viewer's side. The vairation in your water is super!!

taghera
07-10-2001, 09:31 PM
Javier, very nice attempt, only thing i would suggest is more darks to give it a bit of depth, your water is great btw. :)

NorahT
07-10-2001, 10:42 PM
Very nice Javier - feels like spring! A few darks would be nice, but other than that I think you should go to the top of the class :) :)

Javier
07-11-2001, 06:44 AM
I wish to thank all who took the time to view this painting and especially those who posted a reply. And you are absolutely right about the need for some shadows or some dark areas.

As for the object of the lesson -- well for me it was to complete a nice little painting with a minimum palette. The watch word here is "complete".

Thanks Again.

The Best,

Lise
07-11-2001, 06:56 AM
Beautiful colours and expecially like the water. Agree that some darks would anchor this piece. Very well done.

Rod
07-12-2001, 06:58 AM
A nice soft touch with the colours. well blended with soft merges.
Agree that some darks would add to the painting.
Imagine if all the tree trunks were dark silhouetted against the light from behind, it would make the scene more dramatic,
Rod.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 04:01 PM
Very nice work Javier.
I agree with adding some dark. In the foreground where the water meets the bank, you would be able to see the land some beneath the water and this would 'ground' your land.
Lovely soft colours.

Javier
07-12-2001, 09:13 PM
Thanks again for the comments -- I think those trees do need to be in shadow. BTW, the ones in the lesson are. :)

Thanks,