PDA

View Full Version : Two Snowy Farms

jlombardi
02-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Greetings,

Criticism is always welcome. The following are farms near my village in upstate New York. I received a small Terry Ludwig set for my birthday and have been wanting to try them. I tried using my Selinners and Mt Vision to start and finished with the Lugwig. It really didn't pan out that way and I incorporated them at both stages. I am a novice who has been playing around with pastels about a year 1/2+.

9X11 Hahnemuhle Velour Light t Gray
I still really don't know how I feel about this paper. I like how it is easy to get a soft snow affect but I struggle to get any details. The pastel knocks off so easily without fixative. Also, in hindsight gray is not the best paper choice for a sun rise.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2017/1989777-IMG_0132.JPG

9 x 11 Colorfix Sand
I am struggling to get the foreground correct. The field had manure spread on it recently and I tried to represent this with some dark umber. At this point IDK is I should soften it with a very light pink, spray it with fixative and have a just snowy field, or convert the marks into grass. Additionally my road should be dappled sunlight and shadow from the clouds but it looks more like oddly placed post shadows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2017/1989777-IMG_0133.JPG

Donna T
02-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Greetings from another little village in upstate NY! It was such a nice surprise to open this thread and see such familiar sights. I love the colors in the first one; you have perfectly described the soft winter atmosphere and the way the snow is affected by the sky. I wonder if your camera (if you used one) has darkened the farthest trees because it was looking into the sun. Maybe if you imagine standing there those trees would be much lighter in value. The colors in the second piece also look very authentic for this time of year and the rolling hills are beautiful! I think we all struggle with foregrounds; we have to put something there but not so much as to be a distraction. I like how the marks give a sense of depth to the field but they could possibly be toned down by a few light swipes of snow color. They could be ruts or weeds or anything. You could choose to leave out the dappled shadows on the road and I think your lighting would still read well. You've done really nice work on both of these!

jlombardi
02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Thank you for your feedback, Donna. I appreciate it! I guess it is a small world after all. :)

rugman
02-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Nice work for just starting! Each painting has a nice specific mood and emotion.... very enjoyable....

The first one- too much square inches of painting devoted to foreground with not much going on there. Perhaps in future, zoom in on buildings and sky and eliminate some of forground

Second one- my fav of the two. One thing you could do now or in future paintings is to add a cloud shadow at bottom of painting/forground....as the sky is partly cloudy and there would be patches of direct sun and patches of cloud shadow. Many top artist do this in landscapes to add interest and create a lead-in for the viewer into the rest of the painting. I would not worry about trying to convey the manure

velour paper would not be my first choice of paper for landscapes like these, you may like sanded pastel papers/surfaces better....something to think about