PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard

PeggyB
02-25-2017, 08:34 PM
The Pastel Society of Oregon holds an on line quarterly themed challenge for their members. It's just for fun, and everyone who sends an image to them has it posted on the PSO website. They do have it juried for certificate awards so there is always some challenge. This time the theme is "Winter"; my least favorite season! I suspect the grayed blue of this palette reflects my mood during this season.

9 X 12 on MultiMedia Pastel Panel I washed in Caran dAche hard pastels as an underpainting. Then I used Blue Earth, Girault, Great American, Sennelier, and Terry Ludwig pastels. I also used some SpectraFix along the way to seal a couple layers and give more texture in some places.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2017/1976948-IMG_0609.JPG

jlombardi
02-25-2017, 09:17 PM
I like the rough texture of the branches. This very much so gives the impression of a blizzard!

Donna T
02-26-2017, 08:10 AM
Nice one, Peggy! You caught the impression of images appearing and disappearing as the snow swirls around. I've never tried that board - looks like lots of texture to play with!

Equus Art
02-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Absolutely love the textures, Peggy. Definitely makes me shiver looking at it. I think I'm going to have to check out that board.

Cat

PeggyB
02-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.
I love the MultiMedia pastel board. It is ridged, but you do need to be a bit careful not to drop it on a corner because it is also very thin and a bit brittle. So far I've not broken any. Upon first touching it you may wonder if it will hold any layers, but you will soon discover its layering ability to be almost limitless. It will take just about anything you might want to do to it; washes, scraping, adding more texture with acrylic medium, fixatives, etc.

rugman
02-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Yep, you conveyed the cold very well! Dark undertone in tree area works great for this

stapeliad
03-01-2017, 02:45 PM
This is great...the texture is really effective.

I would like to get another good blizzard this winter...

PeggyB
03-01-2017, 05:45 PM
This is great...the texture is really effective.

I would like to get another good blizzard this winter...

Thank you; I do love texture where I think it appropriate.

Oh my! We had an unexpected one on Monday. I was downtown when it started, and before I could get from one end of the street (less than a mile) to the other during commute time it had become full on awful! The usual 15 - 20 minute drive took 1 1/2 hours! There were lots of cars that could navigate the snow packed ice, and several in the ditch not to mention a few fender benders; most nerve wracking.

PeggyB
03-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Thank you Ron. The under darks were the easy part!BTW: I lived in Wyoming and attended UW. My brother and sis-in-law still live in Sheridan.