GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Curve Your Appetite
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 70 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here it is another car....sheesh.....Ferrari P3. Been trying to use the advice from some to increase the "shine" factor...This is another LARGE painting....almost 6 feet wide.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Improvements since "I Ate A Ferrari"? Also, I tend to not include backgrounds, does this add or take away from the effect..??

giniaad
10-29-2003, 06:16 PM
WOW!
adds!...black feeds in very well

racerartist
10-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Thanks, G

I keep reverting back to the plain background and was getting concerned...

Andrew
10-30-2003, 12:19 PM
As grand as this car is, I would prefer something as a background. In this case, the black does work, to an extent, as it creates some nice lost edges with the tires.

Andrew

TScottDove
10-30-2003, 12:25 PM
a year or so ago someone suggested to me that I paint cars... and for the life of me I couldn't think how i'd do it (format, composition, what to show on something so large, what to leave out etc.) well now i know! these portraits are fantastic. love the colossal size, love the black backgrounds.... MORE PLEASE

racerartist
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Andrew-- my next painting will have a background, although small due to the fact I really like to get the cars up close we will see how that works..

Scott-- I couldn't think of painting anything else but cars (love 'em). I do wish I could commit to a smaller canvas though, they just keep getting bigger. The next one is on a 48 x 60 and that's a lot of white canvas to start out with!

michael forster
10-30-2003, 12:58 PM
The black is nice for this type of subject matter- however-posssibly it's too "squished" top and bottom-maybe needs some more neutral area to breathe a little more. Nice piece!

racerartist
10-30-2003, 01:11 PM
M-- I agree, it does seem a little squished. I do plan on framing it though in a black shadowbox will will help spread the space away from the car a bit....

pero lane
10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
These paintings seem so like photos to me..they're awesome and you certainly have a way with cars!:clap: I also like the background....you focus only on the main attraction!:D

wolvenp
10-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Lynn,

I am wondering if in the wheel well at the front, if part of, or all of the reflection on the tire itself could have been eliminated, to create a "lost edge."

I am working on a painting which includes a 1955(?) Mercedes sl300 race car. It won the PanAmericana around that time. I will post that when finished. Can anyone give me instructions on posting an image in the critique forum??

racerartist
10-31-2003, 09:21 AM
W---I think a lot of that is exaggerated from the digital pic. Actually the picture itself is better, when I posted it they adjust the size to fit on the site. Lot's of things happened to the quality of the shot, such as the over all "blotchyness" of the car (kind of looks like it has the measles).

The reflection is not that inhanced in the real painting....I do see your point though (since the reflection is really there). :) That's the risk you take when you post digitals....

Thanks for the comments..